Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 20,807 times

Advertisements

I'm sick of hearing about tenant's rights. Does anyone know any websites that focus on land lord rights? I just lost a tenant that was dealing drugs and growing marijuana out of my property. He cut holes in my ceiling to ventilate his dope, he left baggies with cocaine residue on my kitchen floor, and he's dealing drugs in our neighborhod. This guy destroyed our property then he only moved about 200 yards away. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to make his life hell? I know based on the paperwork he left behind that he's been attempting to buy a home so I was considering small claims court to seek a judgement but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. -JJ Austin, Tx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,542,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJNewbie View Post
I'm sick of hearing about tenant's rights. Does anyone know any websites that focus on land lord rights? I just lost a tenant that was dealing drugs and growing marijuana out of my property. He cut holes in my ceiling to ventilate his dope, he left baggies with cocaine residue on my kitchen floor, and he's dealing drugs in our neighborhod. This guy destroyed our property then he only moved about 200 yards away. Anyone have any ideas what I can do to make his life hell? I know based on the paperwork he left behind that he's been attempting to buy a home so I was considering small claims court to seek a judgement but any other advice would be greatly appreciated. -JJ Austin, Tx
JJNewbie, this forum isn't about helping someone make their neighbors life "hell". I would suggest calling the police if there is illegal activity. Good Luck.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:13 PM

758 posts, read 1,237,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJNewbie View Post
"Anyone have any ideas what I can do to make his life hell?" You need help!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:18 PM

763 posts, read 2,263,091 times
I would do the small claims court thing, but call the police and use the evidence against him showing the damage to your property.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:29 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,173,792 times
Do you really need someone to tell you that you need to call the police IMMEDIATELY?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-14-2008, 08:34 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,903,180 times
If you did a walk through ever couple of months, you would have found all of the problems before they got out of hand. I require a walk through after the first 30 days, and every 90 days thereafter. Write it into the next renter contract. You can't trust anyone, ever...!

Old 07-14-2008, 09:04 PM

763 posts, read 2,263,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
You need help!
Yeah!

How dare you suggest that a criminal be inconvenienced?

That being said, are walkthroughs legal everywhere?

Even if they're not, I'm sure there's a "maintenance" clause that would permit entrance to eyeball things.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:21 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,759,682 times
As hard as it is to hear... providing shelter is a business and as such, my advice is to count your blessings that your problem tenant is no longer "Your" problem.

The ability to be pragmatic is very important in deciding where to spend your time and energy.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM

455 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
"Anyone have any ideas what I can do to make his life hell?" You need help!
Agreed. Yes, it sucks, but it might be worthwhile to run background checks on future tenants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If you did a walk through ever couple of months, you would have found all of the problems before they got out of hand. I require a walk through after the first 30 days, and every 90 days thereafter. Write it into the next renter contract. You can't trust anyone, ever...!
That, IMO is an abuse of power, especially if you're performing these walkthroughs under the ruse of 'maintenance'. Yes, you own my hold the deed to the property, however the unit effectively becomes the property of the tenant when you decide to lease it and you really don't have the right to be constantly checking it. It's the same idea as buying a home (you're paying 'rent' to a mortgage company, and they have no right to check up on your home).

It is your duty as a landlord to screen potential renters before allowing them to occupy your property, even if that means you have to spend some money for a background check, require references, etc. You could build that cost into your application process. You require a security deposit for a reason, and if the cost to repair totals more than that, you take them to small claims court. If you fail to take those steps, it is YOUR fault and no one else is to blame, YOU decided to take the risk of renting to that tenant.

Granted, there is the rare circumstance that, even after you've gone through an extensive application process, you get a bad apple. In that case, just go to small claims court.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 20,807 times
JJNewbie, this forum isn't about helping someone make their neighbors life "hell". I would suggest calling the police if there is illegal activity. Good Luck.

[URL="https://www.city-data.com/forum/reputation.php?p=4457524"][+] Rate this post positively[/URL]

Thanks for the prompt reply. What forum might be more appropriate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting