Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 01:52 PM

6 posts, read 20,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
"Anyone have any ideas what I can do to make his life hell?" You need help!
I do need help. You got any suggestions or are you just looking to take shots at me from your moral perch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Default Thanks for the well thought out reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Do you really need someone to tell you that you need to call the police IMMEDIATELY?

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Yeah!

How dare you suggest that a criminal be inconvenienced?

That being said, are walkthroughs legal everywhere?

Even if they're not, I'm sure there's a "maintenance" clause that would permit entrance to eyeball things.

I know...I wished I had thought of that before. It might have kept him from leasing from me. This was my first time.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:59 PM

I did checks and checked his rental history. I'm pretty sure that he just had his drug buddies take the calls. I checked Public Data and didn't find anything on him. I'm just looking for advice from someone that tell me how to inconvenience him as much as possible.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,208,805 times
Call the cops. Sue him for the damages including any environmental clean-up, an outstanding judgement (assuming you win) will appear on his credit report and make it difficult for him to rent from the next landlord or get credit to purchase a home.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Why? If you called the police thats really the only thing you can do. Now IF he damaged your property you could keep his secutity deposit. But you start harrasing him YOU would be the 1 the police will go after. Why not put your property in a rental mgrment hands.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:31 PM

519 posts, read 1,696,696 times
From my landlord friends I've learned that some state laws favor renters and some favor landlords.

I found a link to Texas Landlord Rights, but I can't guarantee it will be helpful.

Here is an article from MSN about 8 pitfalls to avoid for new landlords.

And this one on MSN is about how smart landlords handle rentals.

Though I agree you should call the police, you should have pictures of damage, and maybe you can get a free consultation with a lawyer. And take the person to court.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:40 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,026 times
Walkthroughs should be legal.

After all, the landlord is liable for some actions of renters.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:52 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
If you make his life a "Living hell" I can guarantee that he will slap you with an order of protection followed by a lawsuit....

Tenant doing illegal things does not give you the right to respond with illegal things.

Time ta put yer big boy slivies on and do it the right way.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM

18 posts, read 55,824 times
Oh hell no. The day my landlord expects to investigate my apartment like he's my daddy and as long as I live under his roof..... No apartment in the world would be worth my landlord thinking s/he had a right to sniff around my apartment, even living the boring upstanding life that I do. If you are THAT suspicious of absolutely everyone, including the people YOU rent to, I suggest you get out of the business of making money off renters immediately.

Seriously? That is ridiculous, regardless of what caliber tenant you have living in your building. And just try to pull that stunt when it's not clearly stipulated in a lease (or communicated to the tenant as an expectation BEFORE THEY SIGN THE LEASE). It's called forced/non-permitted entry, and you have ZERO rights within the law to do so. If you suspect illegal activity, use your brain and call the cops--let them take care of the situation. Otherwise, you're committing your OWN crime, and really, what are you going to do, arm yourself on your little walk throughs? Let the folks responsible for the law deal with it....and geez, don't you think that a misdemeanor/felony citation MIGHT make your eviction go a little easier?

False claims like entering for "maintenance reasons" will also not fly in court unless it is an immediate and urgent need for entry--flooding, gas leak, etc. Otherwise you are legally obligated to give notice, period end of story.

So much I'd like to say about the ludicrous and often frightening abhorrence of renter's rights by owners, but really, what's the point? OP, I'm not saying this is you, but 8 times out of 10, the owner has not done due diligence and just wanted the rent money---put the wrong tenant in the unit, and then has a hissy fit when the rent doesn't come in or the property is damaged. Then comes the bitchfest about renter's rights instead of admitting culpability for the situation.

Bottom line, OP, for hell's sake. Call the cops if you suspect drug use. As for a former tenant, take the guy to court---but be DAMN sure your accusations can be backed up with proof. You better have pictures before/after, and proof that there were drugs being grown and sold out of the apartment. Otherwise you have one big old libel lawsuit on your hands. And if he was selling drugs, you know the dude's got money for a lawyer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting