Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:03 PM

362 posts, read 1,720,816 times

Advertisements

I find this post interesting. The OP's destructive tenant is of course, every property owner's nightmare. I too believe small claims court and contacting the police would be the correct course of action. If you deliberately and personally "make their life hell" I suspect they would have grounds to file charges regarding harassment / slander against you.

Although I own a home, I also rent from time to time as work takes me to other states for lengthy periods of time. I'm getting ready to sign a lease now. In the section "Landlord's access to premises" it lays out that this may be only done a) with tenant's consent or b) in case of emergency or c) when tenant unreasonably withholds consent or d) if period is absent for a period of at least half a rental installment period, unless the tenant notifies the landlord of the absence. If notified of the absence, the landlord may not enter without tenant consent.

I've never heard of a 30 day inspection and every 90 days thereafter. I think that's absurd. Good grief, I work for the gov't and have gone through copious background checks for my job. Landlords know where I work upfront and they have the option of asking for another background check if they like. My life is pretty boring, but I'm not playing show and tell for a mommy stand in. I'd personally not agree to any lease that asked me to do 30 & 90 day walk-thrus. Of course, I also won't sign any lease that allows real estate agents or landlords to show the property to others while I reside in it. I essentially have a "no show" clause written into the lease. I pay a good bit for my rentals to have a) safe location b) quiet location c) a few high end appointments and last but not least...d)privacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting