Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 02:12 PM

460 posts, read 3,546,595 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any little tricks they can share on how to spot if a landlords been in their apartment. I'm thinking about getting a spy cam that records when motion is detected but for now the only thing I can think of is putting a piece of paper in the door jam and was hoping someone might have something a litte more ingenious yet simple. I already know the laws in my state and that entering an apartment at will is considered illegal trespassing and can be prosecuted as such and I've let my landlord know that it won't be tolerated either but I still don't trust these people to keep out while I'm not home so any tips would be helpful, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 02:49 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Matchbook cover wedge in the door jamb... or I vote for the "Game Cam" if you need concrete proof.

I would definitely prosecute if the owner entered illegally. Owners that do not respect tenant's give all Owners a bad rap.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 03-15-2010 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-28-2007, 06:54 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,101,668 times
Scotch magic tape.....hard to see....placed on the top of the door so that when the door is opened, the tape hangs down and gets caught on the door when it closes....

And then a VERRRRY mean dawg

Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
I love nosy landlords. They keep the place in line for those of us who don't cause problems and don't want problems. Mine, bless her heart, she means well and has been great when it comes to repairs and support but she seems to have her head in the sand when it comes to her tenants.

CA law is different, of course.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
I'd sue if my landlord entered MY home without my knowledge or consent. She may own the property, but I *live* there and my lease states that she cannot enter the property without giving me appropriate notification first.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:59 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,369,447 times
Take a strand of your hair, lick it, and stick it to the door so it stretches from the door to the door jam. It'll usually stay there until someone opens the door. Put it on the outside as you leave so you can see if it's still there when you get back.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Does anyone have any little tricks they can share on how to spot if a landlords been in their apartment. I'm thinking about getting a spy cam that records when motion is detected but for now the only thing I can think of is putting a piece of paper in the door jam and was hoping someone might have something a litte more ingenious yet simple. I already know the laws in my state and that entering an apartment at will is considered illegal trespassing and can be prosecuted as such and I've let my landlord know that it won't be tolerated either but I still don't trust these people to keep out while I'm not home so any tips would be helpful, thanks.

Oh heck yeah, there are all types of cams a person can buy. Trouble is, legally, you have to warn a person that your house is being monitored in order for footage to be any good. You know, how people with alarms in their houses have that stupid sign out in front stating youre preotected by such-such alarm company. I do know it has to be legible and posted someplace where it 'can' be noticed.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:40 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,061,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I love nosy landlords. They keep the place in line for those of us who don't cause problems and don't want problems. Mine, bless her heart, she means well and has been great when it comes to repairs and support but she seems to have her head in the sand when it comes to her tenants.

CA law is different, of course.
Yeah, I love it when my landlord breaks into my place and rifles through my wife's underwear drawer. That's just eff-ing wonderful. It wouldn't cause me to pay him a visit with my Louisville Slugger in hand.

Unfortunately, all my landlords have been law-abiding citizens who show their tenants courtesy and their tenants' personal property and space.

I'm not being sarcastic or anything.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
First off, landlords need to get this: it is illegal to enter your tenant's apartment without giving notice unless it is an emergency.

I never knew this back in NY. Now in VT I make sure I know the law...and they take this very seriously in Vermont. I called up renters' rights several times because we are renting here and the landlord is trying to sell this place. Not that I care, but I don't want my lease to be null and void and my husband have to drag our stuff out of here. (by the way, the lease goes along with the house sale to the new owner unless the new owner offers to buy you out).

You can send your landlord a trespass letter from (I think) the sheriff if he or she is entering 'illegally.'

I don't know why anyone wants to play games. Tell him or her to keep out, that you know the law, and you will be contacting a lawyer if they enter illegally. (I suggest you find a new place..why be stressed out about your home?)

Call your renters' rights (try calling your state capital or googling it).

Old 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM

336 posts, read 844,456 times
Exclamation Caught You

All The Above Are Great Ideas About How To Catch The Landlord And How To Consequence Him.one Thing, After You Warn Him ,sue Him, Photograph Him, Door Jam Him, Will You Be Ready To Move? Because He Isn't Going To Be Too Hospitable When He Has To Answer To His Tenant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting