Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 12:56 PM

819 posts, read 3,209,149 times

Advertisements

I'm buying a house, so I don't have to deal with this much longer but I just wanted to vent a little bit.
I have been renting the same house now for 8 years. Never had any problems until the LL found out my brother had a girlfriend last year. (She has a crush) Oh and she is married. Before she knew, she would come over all the time to talk to my brother, hang out with him and stuff.
So since then, the neighbor would then start reporting to my LL about what was going on in the house. So then the LL would call me and yell. Oh the gf is at the house, she isnt allowed there. Oh, you're coming and going at all hours of the night. It's gotten to a point that I get physically sick whenever I see them calling my phone. The LL is a bully and thinks they can do whatever he wants. Once he just showed up at the house out of the blue on a Sunday morning @ 8:30 am waking me up and demanding to be let in. I refused and I called the cops.
Oh and another time he called me telling me that his son is a cop and he can do what he wanted. I know my rights and I had to call him out on his bull****. Basically this always happens because the neighbor won't mind her own business. Who cares if I am walking in the door @ 3am? Ugh!
Oh and this is a SFD, the neighbors live next door in a seperate house. They are renting also.

Please share your bad neighbor stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:06 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,731,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
I'm buying a house, so I don't have to deal with this much longer but I just wanted to vent a little bit.
I have been renting the same house now for 8 years. Never had any problems until the LL found out my brother had a girlfriend last year. (She has a crush) Oh and she is married. Before she knew, she would come over all the time to talk to my brother, hang out with him and stuff.
So since then, the neighbor would then start reporting to my LL about what was going on in the house. So then the LL would call me and yell. Oh the gf is at the house, she isnt allowed there. Oh, you're coming and going at all hours of the night. It's gotten to a point that I get physically sick whenever I see them calling my phone. The LL is a bully and thinks they can do whatever he wants. Once he just showed up at the house out of the blue on a Sunday morning @ 8:30 am waking me up and demanding to be let in. I refused and I called the cops.
Oh and another time he called me telling me that his son is a cop and he can do what he wanted. I know my rights and I had to call him out on his bull****. Basically this always happens because the neighbor won't mind her own business. Who cares if I am walking in the door @ 3am? Ugh!
Oh and this is a SFD, the neighbors live next door in a seperate house. They are renting also.

Send her to my house

Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,948,457 times
must be a relative of his that does his spy work .. Yanno your lucky to be getting out .. I call folks like your neighbor a NfH ( neighbor from HeII) they are a real problem in this workld .. as for your LL fix his arse and get a RO on him and mail your rent .. that wil shut him up

Old 06-23-2011, 01:40 PM

912 posts, read 5,263,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
We lived next door to the worst bunch of human beings I have ever seen. This was a relatively nice area, so I don't know how they got through the application process... but either way..

It was 7 of them in a two bedroom appartment. Three adults and four kids.
Not a single one of them worked. All of them either on unemployment, disability, or making money selling stolen items. They would also make their small children sell roses in bars and nightclubs at night.

They would wake up at around 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and go to bed at around 4 or 5 in the morning (children included!). We knew this because we could hear them hanging out in the street, talking very loudly.

They had people over at their house all. the. time. I don't think there ever was a day when there wasn't at least 20 or 30 or them just hanging out, being loud. Their group would eventually spill out onto the street, and they'd just hang out outside. Leaning on cars, or just sitting on the sidewalk.

Their front yard was littered with trash. Literally. Not rubbish, like packaging and normal stuff, they just dumped that directly on the street. Trash like broken chairs, broken motorcycles, broken children's toys, ect. And cigarette butts. OMG. The mountain of cigarette butts ALL. OVER. THE. PROPERTY.

They would also make double parking a sport. Even if there were spots open for street parking, they'd double park in front of an empty spot. And stay there for hours.

Just horrible people all around.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-19-2011 at 12:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2011, 09:05 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
My landlord's mother (who owns 1/2 the property) let her goddaughter move in next door to me, despite my and my landlord's protestations. This complex is quiet, and small, and everyone knows each other and likes each other... We knew she was in a bad place and was going to be trouble.

She was 19 and dating a 24-year old loser. They'd party or fight until 3-4 a.m. on weeknights, and he and his friends would hang out in the narrow walkway out back of the apartments and shout and wrestle and pee in bottles (seriously, there were like 4 bottles of **** out back at one point).

Dude was so stupid that he stole a planter off a neighbor's porch half a block down, and then set it out front where everyone could see it. The poor 75-year old lady who lived on the other side of me was positively terrorized by them, but too scared to complain.

After this went on for 4 months, and I had called the police several times, I finally told him that it was either her or me, and good luck getting anyone to live next to her without it being another partyer.. Which was totally contrary to how he wants to run the place.

He kicked her and jerkbag out. This was 5 years ago, and now she's living quietly in the complex next door, sober and with a baby and a husband. She told me the other day that my getting her kicked out was the best thing that could have happened to her.

Sometimes things turn out OK

Old 06-24-2011, 09:10 AM

819 posts, read 3,209,149 times
So my nosey neighbor went off on my brother yesterday. He was working on his friend's car in our driveway. She came out and started yelling at him. Saying she is sick of this and she is calling the cops. My brother was out back with 2 friends. No music or anything, just hanging out while he fixed the car. I pulled up and she started yelling at me. I was like what in the world. She said oh you better control him. What? lol. Control what -him working on cars? She said I don't fgive a **** what he's doing. So I said What are you talking about?
I stayed calm the whole time, I wanted to yell back but I had my son with me. My son just stood there like why is this crazy lady yelling. She had the nerve to say either he goes or you all go. Really? you're the LL now? I just laughed and walked away.

Only 2 months to go until I'm out. Can't wait!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,172 times
I got one. I've lived in my house for three years now. I got a dog last year and the only time I left him alone was mainly to go to work. One of the neighbors next door works from home and has nothing better to do then spy. Well one day I notice they gave me the cold shoulder when I acknowledged them outside. Next thing I know I get a text message saying that they just sent me an email. I found that weird but still checked my email to see what was up. In the email they start accusing me of animal abuse and neglect and say that I'm committing a reportable crime. The dog's food and water dish is always full and newspapers are put down should the need arise while I'm gone. I wrote back saying for the guy to mind his own business. Later that day his wife calls me on speaker phone saying that she didn't like the a**hole way I spoke to her husband. Now the guy needs his wife to speak for him lol. I said again for them to mind their own business and mentioned that the agency that I adopted the dog from knew that the dog would be alone for the duration of my shift and I still got approved to adopt him. She screams into the phone that maybe they shouldn't have at which point I hung up. Then I get another text regarding another email. In it she expresses shock that I hung up. Really? Shock? I've had nothing to say to them since.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Not really a tenant issue, although it was next door to my rental.

There was the nicest lady next door (homeowner) but she brought in her grandson who was troubled. He'd climb over the back fence and peer into windows at night and no one could walk in or out without him rushing over and wanting to talk.

I had two different sets of tenants move out because he was peeking in the windows at night. The police didn't seem to be able to do anything about it.

Finally, he broke into the house and took underwear and money. It had just snowed so the police were able to follow his footprints in the snow from his house directly to the back door of mine and then directly back to his own house. With real evidence they were able to get him locked up.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,523,229 times
Wow, that's creepy!

OP, I don't know if it's needed, but someone reading this may find it helpful. I have Verizon, and you can for free, list 5 numbers at a time to block. I can do this online. For me, it's telemarketers. If you want to block more than 5, I think you have to pay a fee. It blocks both calls and text messages.

If the neighbors continue to harass you, you could call the cops and say you don't know if there's anything they can do, but your neighbor is harassing you. Depending on the city and how overworked the cops are, they may go talk to the neighbors and tell them to leave you alone.

I've had policemen call a couple of different ex-tenants who were harassing me when I was a property manager. All it took was a phone call from a cop and they knocked it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting