Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM

35 posts, read 175,343 times

Advertisements

A few months ago I got a loud, obnoxious, rude, twig-that-sounds-like-an-elephant upstairs neighbor. Over the course of that time I have had to call management 3 times, and go in and talk to them once.

First we had the TV loud at 2-5am combined with guitar playing...or strumming no real tune at 6:30am...we have a curfew type thing for noise here 10pm-8am.

The rest has been the dog left alone barking, whining, digging thru the floor, and carrying on for hours on end at 1am....three times...we are told no more than 10 mins during the day is acceptable (enough time to get the mail/trash out etc). The dog running (again, not allowed because its so loud to tenants below) at all hours.

I haven't complained about the stomping, walking, yelling, etc. cause I mean let's be realistic you can't stop that. But you CAN stop the TV volume, and the dog from running.

I called the office last night after listening to her and one of her boy toys crashing into the apt(I seriously think they fall in the door, it's that loud), being obnoxiously loud-not in bed mind you, while the dog ran thunder laps around my head after I moved from my bed to the couch at 2am. Well tonight my neighbor launched a war. She put heavy metal on full blast and left for near an hour, knowing full well I was home.

I am uncomfortable going up to her apt, she always has guys over and they give me the creeps and since I am a living alone, a young lady and my bf hasn't moved in-state yet (cause he's meaner than me lol he'd go up there and yell at them to be quiet, hes a really light sleeper. When he moves in I foresee alot of cranky mornings...).

I don't complain about how loud she is in the day, cause we are allowed to be not obnoxious but louder than at night. My Mom, bf, and sister think I've been letting it go too long. I have had one full night of sleep since she moved in. The rest I'm stuck awake listening to thunder dog, her being loud, and South Park....it's not even episodes I don't own, she must only have that cause thats all she watches.

I have an epileptic dog who has gone from one seizure a month to 12-13 a month cause of the loud noise at night, not to mention he doesn't handle it well plus I think they are feeding off my stress. If my dog dies due to a seizure because she was loud at midnight, I am going to be highly upset. I'd be beyond devastated cause I've had him since he was 5 1/2 weeks old and he'll be 8 in Oct.

I am a very nice person. I don't turn my TV/music up, esp. at night I keep it low so that I don't be loud, my dogs do not run in the apt-we go on walks to get rid of the ants in the pants, I have them put to bed by 9pm. I live on the second floor, and I made a point to find and ask my downstairs neighbor if we were loud, and that if we ever bothered him to let me know. He said I wasn't loud at all and neither are my dogs, so I know quiet IS possible. I have two dogs, she has one.

My Mom told me I should talk to the manager. Then if this last talk does nothing call the cops. I don't even like to complain to the office, I feel like a bad person, even though I'm not. I always call as the last resort, thinking maybe she'd learn. Of course reality is, is she doesn't I REALLY don't want to call the cops on someone. Especially when I think she is either taking or dealing the drug of choice for this town. She seems to be awake 24/7. (I wouldn't know if she were quiet)

I'm really not after anything drastic, just quiet at night so I can sleep a full night. People I know suggest earplugs...well for one I can't wear them, and they wont stop the thunder dog show.

What would you do? What have you done? What is your gripes/story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
You need to document everything and put it all in writing to the management company/LL. What are you waiting for? You've already verbally complained to management several times and they've done nothing so send them a return receipt certified letter and get the official ball rolling. Good luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Pretty much, the only thing you can do at this point is follow what STT-Resident has recommended.

The only other advice I have for you, is stick to the facts in a logical manner. Avoid all emotional argument and anything that management could just say "cry me a river".

For example, your dog's seizures and your fears that the noise will kill him/her. I'm definitely sorry about your dogs condition, but if his health was so frail so noise will harm him, then you should have moved to a cabin in the woods or at least a stand-alone house. Its stuff like this that makes management roll their eyes and think of you as "that crazy lady from apartment 2b".

Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times
I couldnt stop laughing at your "thunder dog" comments. Such a comical way to describe the dog and doing "thunder laps". Good luck with your situation. As mentioned, submit something to management in writing. The tenant upstairs doesn't sound like the logical and reasonable type, so talking to her yourself wont help, just may make things worse.

Maybe you can record the sound of the thunder laps in the early morning/late night to show managment

Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddy1 View Post
A few months ago I got a loud, obnoxious, rude, twig-that-sounds-like-an-elephant upstairs neighbor. Over the course of that time I have had to call management 3 times, and go in and talk to them once.

First we had the TV loud at 2-5am combined with guitar playing...or strumming no real tune at 6:30am...we have a curfew type thing for noise here 10pm-8am.

The rest has been the dog left alone barking, whining, digging thru the floor, and carrying on for hours on end at 1am....three times...we are told no more than 10 mins during the day is acceptable (enough time to get the mail/trash out etc). The dog running (again, not allowed because its so loud to tenants below) at all hours.

I haven't complained about the stomping, walking, yelling, etc. cause I mean let's be realistic you can't stop that. But you CAN stop the TV volume, and the dog from running.

I called the office last night after listening to her and one of her boy toys crashing into the apt(I seriously think they fall in the door, it's that loud), being obnoxiously loud-not in bed mind you, while the dog ran thunder laps around my head after I moved from my bed to the couch at 2am. Well tonight my neighbor launched a war. She put heavy metal on full blast and left for near an hour, knowing full well I was home.

I am uncomfortable going up to her apt, she always has guys over and they give me the creeps and since I am a living alone, a young lady and my bf hasn't moved in-state yet (cause he's meaner than me lol he'd go up there and yell at them to be quiet, hes a really light sleeper. When he moves in I foresee alot of cranky mornings...).

I don't complain about how loud she is in the day, cause we are allowed to be not obnoxious but louder than at night. My Mom, bf, and sister think I've been letting it go too long. I have had one full night of sleep since she moved in. The rest I'm stuck awake listening to thunder dog, her being loud, and South Park....it's not even episodes I don't own, she must only have that cause thats all she watches.

I have an epileptic dog who has gone from one seizure a month to 12-13 a month cause of the loud noise at night, not to mention he doesn't handle it well plus I think they are feeding off my stress. If my dog dies due to a seizure because she was loud at midnight, I am going to be highly upset. I'd be beyond devastated cause I've had him since he was 5 1/2 weeks old and he'll be 8 in Oct.

I am a very nice person. I don't turn my TV/music up, esp. at night I keep it low so that I don't be loud, my dogs do not run in the apt-we go on walks to get rid of the ants in the pants, I have them put to bed by 9pm. I live on the second floor, and I made a point to find and ask my downstairs neighbor if we were loud, and that if we ever bothered him to let me know. He said I wasn't loud at all and neither are my dogs, so I know quiet IS possible. I have two dogs, she has one.

My Mom told me I should talk to the manager. Then if this last talk does nothing call the cops. I don't even like to complain to the office, I feel like a bad person, even though I'm not. I always call as the last resort, thinking maybe she'd learn. Of course reality is, is she doesn't I REALLY don't want to call the cops on someone. Especially when I think she is either taking or dealing the drug of choice for this town. She seems to be awake 24/7. (I wouldn't know if she were quiet)

I'm really not after anything drastic, just quiet at night so I can sleep a full night. People I know suggest earplugs...well for one I can't wear them, and they wont stop the thunder dog show.

What would you do? What have you done? What is your gripes/story?
Read the same type of story before in another forum a long time back...

Same suggestion....

Tape record all the "noise pollution"... either bring it up to the management to resolve again & make sure you paper document it all (if management don't resolve it... tell them the unit is "unlive-able" so they are going to be in breach of their contract with you suggestion towards a "potential lawsuit" which will & should prompt them to "do something") so you can use all evidences in your favor.

You can also choose to blast that tape recorded "noise" right back at the neighbours at the peak moments (dawn is best) to "wake them up".

Old 02-08-2012, 09:13 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
You either want the noise to stop or you don't. If you do you have to do everything possible to make it stop. Call the office every day and complain. Call the police every single time you think they are violating a noise ordinance.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:43 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Basically you want to go up there and punch the freaking dayligt out of them and tell then the next time you hear so much as a footstep, you will nail their feet to the floor with a nail gun.

that has always been my fantasy.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 PM

35 posts, read 175,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Basically you want to go up there and punch the freaking dayligt out of them and tell then the next time you hear so much as a footstep, you will nail their feet to the floor with a nail gun.

that has always been my fantasy.

Lol yep, though I'm used to the walking...its the dog running that I'd staple. I thought about putting duct tape on my dogs and stickin 'em to the roof and letting them run all night lol.

I have recorded several of their late night thunder laps and TV before. In fact the night I called I did do just that. She was actually somewhat quiet last night (after her metal music didn't work) so I'll give her tonight if shes quiet and I won't take them in. If she is loud, I'll go play them for the office and see what they say should be my next step. The manager is really nice to me, she doesn't think I'm being unreasonable or like a nagging old lady. She sort of made it sound like the girl above me (who moved out from someone already in the complex TO the place above me) had had complaints before.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:18 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Back in the day, my neighbor played his stereo super loud all the time. All the people in the building would complain but it kept happening. One day he did it I took a cheapo padlock, went out to the electrical boxes on the side of the building, flipped his main breaker off, locked it that way and left. Didn't have any more trouble after that.

Probably not the best way to handle things but hey I was only 22 in my first apartment.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:22 PM

911 posts, read 2,598,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Back in the day, my neighbor played his stereo super loud all the time. All the people in the building would complain but it kept happening. One day he did it I took a cheapo padlock, went out to the electrical boxes on the side of the building, flipped his main breaker off, locked it that way and left. Didn't have any more trouble after that.

Probably not the best way to handle things but hey I was only 22 in my first apartment.

now that's hilarious. he should have known it was coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting