Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 12:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Would it be a good idea to tell the LL before calling the Board that you would call if he doesn't replace the roof?

By the way it's interesting your case ended up nicely. I would think the LL-tenant relation would go south after the tenant make calls to report them.
It would be best to give the LL a chance to do it on his own. Let him know that you know it needs to be done and it's his responsibility. If he stalls, tell Him your next step is to call the authorities.
(he cannot evict you for say any of this)
If you know your Rights, you would already know that A LL is resonsible for any property damage(yours) caused by his neglect or violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:31 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I must have been lucky because the first LL I had (back when the dinasaurs roamed) was actually pretty decent, she was an old Italian lady, real tough and grouff, but I liked her. We lived in a four family house, she lived a bit away. Never bothered us and took off 15 dollars from the rent for me to cut the grass in the summer & shovel snow in the winter. I was so young then so it was good for me, now Im old, so dont think I will be shoveling snow anytime soon..... Love my Co-op now...
So many horror stories, gawd, she was the best.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I must have been lucky because the first LL I had (back when the dinasaurs roamed) was actually pretty decent, she was an old Italian lady, real tough and grouff, but I liked her. We lived in a four family house, she lived a bit away. Never bothered us and took off 15 dollars from the rent for me to cut the grass in the summer & shovel snow in the winter. I was so young then so it was good for me, now Im old, so dont think I will be shoveling snow anytime soon..... Love my Co-op now...
So many horror stories, gawd, she was the best.
The property I rented(in SoCal) for 25 yr's was a 2 bdrm house with a garage sitting on 10 acres with 3 other rental houses. (and a Dairy farm(unused).

The rent started out @ $200.00 a Mo. in 1981.(trash and water paid) Within 5 years it had gone up to $350.00 a Mo. I made an agreement with the LL/owner that if he would keep the rent low, I would maintain the house and property. (he paid for expenses.)
In 2006 the rent was still $350.00 But the owner died and the property was sold to a Rental Co.(PAMA) In 2007 the rent jumped from 350 to 850. I sent the Rental Co. an evacuation notice, packed up and moved to Oklahoma.

A good LL is very hard to find....likewise to the tenants.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Maybe...

I was asking what would be the penalty/sentence once a LL gets caught with illegal entry. Is the LL going to be jailed for 1 week, or be fined $100, $1000, or...? Just what happens once they get caught?

I know different states answer differently, but just would like to have some idea, example...
I just found out in CA they can be fined in court for $2,000 for each illegal entry. I don't know if the judge will actually awrd that much.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:02 PM

Oklahoma has a Immigration Bill "HB 1804" which prohibits LL's renting to Illegal Immigrants.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:24 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
Be careful of LL's and maintenance people. They could be sexual predators so make sure you check local police records. If you are a woman alone or have daughters I suggest placing a chair under the door knob to prevent entry while in the shower.

You can use the web cam with motion detecting software on a laptop to record while you are out.
If you come home to find your laptop waiting for a password you will know the power had been turned off. In that case look into a "game camera" that is motion activated and battery powered or perhaps a battery back-up for your laptop.

Never trust a landlord.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:15 AM

1,536 posts, read 1,482,253 times
I agree about never trusting a landlord. I knew she or her boyfriend had been in here without my knowledge when a drain needed snaking. Both told me it was snaked from the shared laundry room. But the same day things were out of place around my kitchen sink. The dish soap container was in the in the sink when I got home. That would never happen.

So I bought this:

Amazon.com: Defender STEALTH1 Covert MPEG4 DVR Recording System with Built-in Color Pinhole Surveillance Camera Hidden in a Motion Sensor: Camera & Photo

Several months later it captured the boyfriend and his buddy entering the unit and checking that the electricity was working correctly (they had redone it). No problem with this except for two things:

1. No notice was given. I actually appreciated them making sure my electricity was working but they never told me about it, not before or after entry. That's not right and I made that clear.

2. Supposedly there were two keys to my unit and I had them both. I thought it strange the landlady kept no key but she didn't seem to mind. In fact, on the boyfriend's request I've left one of the keys in the shared laundry room for him to use on several occasions when notice of entry was given. Maybe he had a copy made. The landlady should have a key, afterall. But I don't like being lied to. Makes me wonder about the motive.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,742 times
Default Ive had to deal with that before

I feel your frustration. My son is a pro at that. He said lightly dust powder on the floor and youll get some proof, a shoe size and print. Put especially by the doors. Good luck!!!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deblin6 View Post
I feel your frustration. My son is a pro at that. He said lightly dust powder on the floor and youll get some proof, a shoe size and print. Put especially by the doors. Good luck!!!
The problem with things like that is that it's rather hard (if not impossible) to prove should you decide to file charges or start hauling people into civil court.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's STILL their property...
Yes they own it but they are conveying that space under certain terms to the person leasing the property. Its my space now if I'm paying the rent and abiding by the terms of the lease get it.
No one would say its ok for a car company you are leasing a car from to sneak into your car and stick their pig snout into your car at home to make sure their car is ok. So why do property managers think its ok for them to essentially break and enter into a place more intimate than someones car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting