Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:09 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,842,027 times

Advertisements

Like ows, I read them for the humor, not a tenant. You;ll be better served to visit apartment offices or make phone calls. The responses you get on CL may be from people you don't want to rent from anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 12:18 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,365,087 times
I have successfully found a place to live using an old-fashioned want ad years ago. We only needed a place for a few months as our house was being finished. A couple selling their home read the ad and rented it to us. It was a win-win for all involved. I can imagine being in that situation again some day. I don't think I'd put an ad on craigslist for it though.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:58 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,099,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
Do Landlords Read "Housing Wanted" Ads?
I'm just wondering if this is a safe alternative to cut down on some of the leg work or am I setting myself up for scam artists?
Very rarely!

Old 01-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Here's why they are only good for entertainment value. Even if there was something in that price range, no job would be a major problem with so many people moving here expecting jobs growing on trees because of some bogus Forbes, or other magazine, article saying how great this area is.

"My fiance and I just moved to Rock Hill Monday, are in search of a 2 bdrm house. Currently neither of us are working (as we Just moved here) but we have first months rent and security deposit. Looking to spend $250-$425 a month.
Pets ok, if possible. "

Old 01-14-2014, 03:58 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,605,546 times
I sometimes read the "wanted to rent" ads in craigslist. Can't recall ever renting to anyone but I will occasionally direct them to ads I am running that might meet their needs.

I don't think it's a bad idea if you are looking for something unique: short term rental, specific school zone etc. But post a realistic price range!

Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM

No kidding about the price range. I want waterfront, 5BR, 6 baths, 4-car garage and a dock. Willing to pay $400/month. Will leave it better than I got it.

lol

Old 01-15-2014, 07:14 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,542,463 times
I always first advertised on the university off campus housing for the law school. If the timing was bad to find a law student, I'd next go for the general student body. Last was putting an ad on Craigslist, because I'd get slammed with calls and people showing up, most of which I wouldn't want to move in.

So, if I got to the point I was about to put an ad on Craigslist, I would read the housing wanted ads first. I did contact a few, but the studio apts I rented were extremely dinky, and most professionals wanted something nicer, or they just wanted a short term rental until their families came to join them. So, it very rarely worked out. This was in Santa Clara.

So, it can happen. Putting up an ad is free, and as someone above said, be clear in your ad - good job, good references, this is what you're looking for, good credit, no bankruptcies, no evictions, etc. You probably won't get a call you want, but you never know. Won't cost you anything.

I was thinking that you should contact a big property management company. They should have decent available hours, and they will have a bunch of properties. Perhaps they will pre-screen you, and give you your pick of properties. Then you are dealing with one office. That's what I would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting