Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 08:04 PM

7,655 posts, read 8,729,058 times

Advertisements

It seems posting "housing wanted" ads doesn't do much good? Most likely it's the people with houses/apts. that can't rent out who respond? I posted such ads on behalf of a friend on craigslist, he complained that he kept getting responses offering housing that's not what he's looking for (which I specified in the ad). Sounds like most responses were from people desperate to rent their apts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 12:35 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,847 times
Your mileage may vary, but we tried this when moving to SF and pretty much found it a waste. We were moving cross-country and had a week to find a place. We figured it couldn't hurt to put an ad explaining our situation and letting people know that we were going to be in town with a full dossier in hand, thinking it might help landlords weed out credit risks and whatnot (and give us an advantage). The responders we got included landlords well out of SF, inexperienced and flaky landlords, and most-likely desperate landlords (really, do you think two home-owning, professional, married people want to rent your glorified college dorm in the Lower Haight?). You could always give it a shot and see what comes back. Be prepared for frustration, though.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:24 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience. Indeed, my friend said some was offering several young people sharing one apartment (if only they don't mind my friend's two cats running around the house ) , some offering temporary stay, and there were some fee brokers introducing themselves.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:35 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,059,684 times
It's hard to convey what you want in a ad, and not list the price range. I did it a few times while listing the price I wanted to stay around, and I received numerous responses from people who all had places available for the exact same amount my high amount was. Hmmmmmmm....

Yea, that was from CL

Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Yes, forgot to mention, all the responders were offering rent at least the "max" I listed for him.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:44 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,168,663 times
I've done it before. Once when I was displaced by a fire and needed a temporary place to stay, which got me the worst San Francisco in-law I could ever imagine living in. Then when my job was moved down to San Jose, it got me a cheap and crappy house in a marginal neighborhood which was ultimately short sold. Instructive experiences yes, good homes no.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:02 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
It seems posting "housing wanted" ads doesn't do much good? Most likely it's the people with houses/apts. that can't rent out who respond? I posted such ads on behalf of a friend on craigslist, he complained that he kept getting responses offering housing that's not what he's looking for (which I specified in the ad). Sounds like most responses were from people desperate to rent their apts.
I had good luck doing that on Craig's list, but I was very specific.

I needed a 2 br apartment to rent in the area where I was searching for a condo. I didn't want to waste my time hearing "NO" a thousand times from landlords, so I posted my own ad stipulating that I was looking for a 2br month-to-month rental and that I had four cats, with the rent I was willing to pay.

I got three good responses, and ended up renting one of them for the next eight months. It worked out very well.

I think I did get a few generic ads thrown my way, but I just ignored them.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,355,257 times
Yes I know the OP is old but LOL, this is pretty funny because that is probably the majority of the responses you'll get. But just like anything on craigslist, if you weed through the crap you might be able to find something worthwhile.

I didn't know there were many places in the US where you could get a "flat" with your "hydro" paid for...

Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,148,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yes I know the OP is old but LOL, this is pretty funny because that is probably the majority of the responses you'll get. But just like anything on craigslist, if you weed through the crap you might be able to find something worthwhile.

I didn't know there were many places in the US where you could get a "flat" with your "hydro" paid for...
Craigslist is a minefield..There are many on their that will rent you an apartment, Maybe for a great price, And then expect a "favor" or two. Please be careful, Nothing is worth more then your health and safety.

Like I said in another related thread...There are always sharks in the water..

Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM

295 posts, read 1,179,711 times
I have tried on Craigslist before and even if I was very explicit in what I am looking for I still get the ones with the couch that they want to rent (I mention in my ad that it is me, my daughter and my two cats) oh and the one that got me was the one that said that he "had a camper out back that was liveable but if I would pay a bit more in rent then he would give up his bed for us"

I'll never use Craigslist for that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting