Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,349,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTimeLL View Post
Thanks. I will be out of state, and working a job that requires international travel once a month. As such, doing it myself just does not seem to be a viable option. My CPA, realtor, and family lawyer are all guiding me on this. Their opinions are mixed on if I need a PM or not. But being out of state and not knowing what I'm doing, I think I really need to go for it. There is enough of a buffer between my monthly mortgage and going rent that the monthly fee doesn't seem prohibitive.

I'm going to check the heck out of references for these companies, but I'm attracted to one that has a fairly basic fee structure compared to the others, who seem to nickle and dime for a lot of things. They charge me $400 for a "one time setup fee", and then 10% a month while filled. They handle all marketing costs. I will need to put $250 into a maintainence account and they will get authorization on any repairs that isn't covered by that amount.

Does that seem reasonable?
That sounds reasonable.

So quick math says that at the high end of potential rent you will have around a $6400 buffer and at the low end you will have a $3100 buffer?

How are you going to rent? Yearly or monthly? Does your property have a lawn that will need to be maintained and will that be on the tenant? 10 weeks of cutting a small lawn by me will cost over $2500 in a 10 week period.

Do you have mature trees? Are your gutters capped or do they need to be "maintained" yearly (fall/winter due to leave/ice?) Who is going to do that/pay for that if that is an issue?

Just think of everything you do to maintain your home or pay someone to do for you, and subtract that from your buffer.

Are you leaving your appliances? Are they in good repair (new-ish)? Even one call to a "fridge" guy who works for the manufacturer can cost a pretty penny. That could easily wipe out out at least half of your $250 maintenance account if not all of it. For labor. That never seems to be included in the warranty.

If you're willing to take the risk of breaking even, go for it. If you aren't willing to take a loss, and have no idea when the market in your part of the world will demand what you are asking to sell your property, you might want to reconsider. Hopefully it all works out and you make a profit. I think it's harder to do so when left up to someone else to tell you what the issues are, and you don't get see it for yourself or take your own bids to fix the issue.

Do you trust a PM company to give you a referral to a client who was unhappy with their services? Tenants don't give potential LLs references who they didn't pay rent to for 6 months or destroyed the premises. So I wouldn't be expecting to hear anything other than sunshine and roses from the referral base the PM gives you.

I have friends who moved to Ca for 4 years (military). They didn't want to sell their house b/c not only were they were underwater at the time (VA loan - interest only) they wanted to come back to the east coast when the husband retired @43. So they rented it out through a nation wide RE company that also has a PM division.

Long story short? They moved back east about a year ago and back in to their house and were out close to $15K through owed rent and damages. Filed in civil court and just got a lien put against their ex-tenants new house that he bought. That is in a suburb close to a very large city and costs him close to $1M.

The PM company didn't do any sort of a background check that ran deeply enough to find the scam this renter played. He's a big wig "Gospel Preacher", has a $20K Harley (posts pics of it on his twitter) and his wife walks around in red backs and carries LV or Gucci - and not the ones that you can buy on Canal St.

Due to a clause in the PM "agreement", the PM company couldn't be sued. Overly apologetic, but did NOTHING about who they put in my friends house and how much it cost my friends at the end of the day.

So if you do go with a PM company? Get the names/addresses of potential lessees and buy yourself some peace - find a paid for site that will pull up criminal records/liens/ judgements/bankruptcies.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope it all works out in your favor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 04:50 AM

27,224 posts, read 47,052,626 times
Any PM should run official background checks or be held liable. I know some don't and some do and still allow everyone to get in.

That's why we discuss what is on the background check in writing with every owner and discuss per phone but need approval for the tenants in writing. Due to the privacy law we can't show the background check papers to the owner and can only discuss it.

Many owners go by " the look nice and were so friendly and really showed interest and stated they will maintain it like it is their own house".

Exactly the sentence that are red flags....

Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM

10,180 posts, read 10,349,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Any PM should run official background checks or be held liable. I know some don't and some do and still allow everyone to get in.

That's why we discuss what is on the background check in writing with every owner and discuss per phone but need approval for the tenants in writing. Due to the privacy law we can't show the background check papers to the owner and can only discuss it.

Many owners go by " the look nice and were so friendly and really showed interest and stated they will maintain it like it is their own house".

Exactly the sentence that are red flags....
I know there are great PM companies out there. I have a friend who started his own a few years ago after working for the city of Manhattan for close to 20 years in the same capacity.

This guy and his "wife" (mistress, rented the place for her...it's such a soap opera) were the second set of tenants. My friends were already in CA and strictly went by what their PM told them.

What they SHOULD have done, but didn't want to believe was necessary from the get-go, is take the agreement/contract and have a RE lawyer review it. Gotta make sure YOU are just as protected as the one who is handing you the contract to sign. Especially if it's something you have never done before.

They learned the hard way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting