Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 PM

30 posts, read 78,711 times

Advertisements

We were served for small claims court - being sued by the property manager. The property manager is listed as the plaintiff and not the landlord. It would seem like it would need to be landlord (property owner) that would be suing and not the property manager... ?

We are disputing over damages for a house we rented. Basically the owner is moving back into their house, and (we feel like) are trying to stick us for new carpet.

We live in Texas, if it matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
The property manager is, in this situation, the Agent for the Owner and they are the proper Plaintiff to be named.

Get your evidence and documentation ready in triplicate and don't be late to court. If you need advice, retain an attorney.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:50 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I agree, the property manager was the person who working for the LL and has all the right to sue you on behalf of the owner.

They probably have all evidence ready, so you better be ready too, if you want to win...they know what to do, you aren't the first or the last....

Perhaps it will cost less to settle, or you must be sure your proof is very good....a judgment can show up on your credit report and makes your score go down...so think before you act.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiker View Post
We were served for small claims court - being sued by the property manager. The property manager is listed as the plaintiff and not the landlord. It would seem like it would need to be landlord (property owner) that would be suing and not the property manager... ?

We are disputing over damages for a house we rented. Basically the owner is moving back into their house, and (we feel like) are trying to stick us for new carpet.

The property management represents the owner in this case. Showup with your evidence in court to state your claims. Small claims is a easy court to deal with kinf of like judge wapners court.

Old 09-25-2009, 06:29 AM

6,450 posts, read 9,810,701 times
Read up on your landlord tenant act, it defines most situations, especially normal wear and tear. Usually you represent yourself in small claims court, and if you have documentation it helps your side tremendously!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:26 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiker View Post

"and (we feel like) are trying to stick us for new carpet."

How long did you live there and did you have dogs or cats that lived inside? It's almost impossible to get rid of pet smells.. Even if you can't smell it others can. Did you have kids that spilled red drinks on the carpet and it wont come out? Or did you do like one of my tenants did, cut a three foot square out of the carpet by a door.

Some renters think wearing out brand new carpet out in three years is normal wear and tear.... Trust me, it's not normal...

Old 09-25-2009, 02:07 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

How long did you live there and did you have dogs or cats that lived inside? It's almost impossible to get rid of pet smells.. Even if you can't smell it others can. Did you have kids that spilled red drinks on the carpet and it wont come out? Or did you do like one of my tenants did, cut a three foot square out of the carpet by a door.

Some renters think wearing out brand new carpet out in three years is normal wear and tear.... Trust me, it's not normal...
The problem is often that tenants when they move out of their parents home they think that how it was at home, it should be normal to behave else where...Some people don't care much about how the house looks like and thinks that is okay....they easily forget how it was when they moved in and only remember how it is after they have lived there and hardly ever cleaned anything....when they are moving out they think that using a vaccum cleaner , it will do, the rest is wear and tear........WRONG!

Old 09-25-2009, 09:24 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post

If it's cheap carpet, it can get worn out after three years.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:35 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
It can be worn out possibly (if it's real cheap) but it won't be ruined by dirt and grime and spills unless people never clean or try to be careful. I just changed out carpet in an apartment lived in by same tenant for 2.5 years. I was perfectly willing to account for wear and tear but after two cleanings, could not get the.........ah, urine smell out. Normal after 10 years not in my opinion. I had 7 kids and sure they spilled things and threw up on things but I guarrantee you my house never smelled like pee. <ew>

Old 11-30-2010, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,409 times
Document! Document! Document!... So many tenants/potential tenants as well as landlords (property owners) depend on the property management company to protect their interest; and in most cases this simply does not take place. As a tenant or landlord you owe it to yourself to have the property properly documented prior to leasing or turning your property over to a management company by an independent 3rd party inspection company Mod Cut Advertising
It is affordable and in most cases less than $70.00 for roof to slab, curb to alley detailed inspection that consist of photos and comments with regards to the conditions. Avoid litigation by having a 3rd party inspection performed…

Mod Cut Link

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-01-2010 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting