Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 12:34 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times

Advertisements

This is in Texas.

I sent a property manager a proper 30-day notice that I would not be renewing my agreement with him to manage my property. He has violated the terms which require him to get my approval for repairs over $500.
He also went far over budget in renovating the property initially, again without my permission. That's why I am ending the agreement.

I told the tenant that the agreement was at an end and to send her rent to me. The property manager told the tenant that the agreement was still in force and to send the rent to him. She sent it to him, apparently.

I have gotten no money nor accounting from this guy since this (rent was due the first, today is the 13th). He does have a clause that management fees are required throughout the term of the lease, even if the agreement ends. I understand that - however, the first tenant he rented to broke the prior lease, causing the term of the new tenant's lease to overlap. Normally a tenant breaking a lease is responsible for all fees associated with reletting. So it is my contention that the manager should go to them for his fees (I have not told him this yet, just trying to get my property 'back').

What can I do, he does not respond to calls or emails (would like to make an attempt without an attorney)? To me this is fraud or at least stealing the rent from me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Does the lease say who the rent is paid to? If it says pay the management company you "telling" the tenant anything else doesn't mean squat. You need to put it in writing.

As far as the management fees, I wouldn't think it is ever right that the management company has to get something from the tenant if it is spelled out in your contract with them.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the reply.

It has my name on the lease as landlord, but directs payments to the management company.

I sent the tenant a letter and and email, also proper notice. I have also tried to go by (and also sent my longtime handyman) to introduce myself but either she is not there or does not open the door. I don't have a phone number for her.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I sent a property manager a proper 30-day notice
He has violated the terms which require him to...
I have gotten no money nor accounting from this guy since...

...would like to make an attempt without an attorney
Tough.

And before you make a new agreement with a new PM be sure that the terms
and procedures to end the agreement are spelled out by the attorney.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:01 PM

I have managed my own properties for many years. This is the first time I have tried a property management company. I would have to get him to release my property first before I can manage again or get a new manager!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:08 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times
Without seeing your written agreement with the PM, I'd do the following:
1) have your attorney write a letter to them demanding payment of the rental funds, and/or
2) file a complaint with TREC, assuming this is a licensed broker

Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Thanks ETex2 - Yep he's a broker...I was hoping to settle this amicably without an attorney as this guy is somebody I have known somewhat for over 30 years and his father was friends with my father going back to the early 1950s..I had no idea he would do something like this - however I've read some online reviews and apparently he's a snake. I should have trusted my instincts when I heard him use "the N word" a couple of times on my first visit to his office.

I guess he knows that I know a lot of people around here and he doesn't care if I am displeased.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:47 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,409,755 times
Question seems to me...

you should be spending time speaking w/a Lawyer and not on a Forum.
Best of luck.
Koale

Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 PM

Yeah, I know but I was hoping I could reason with this guy before trying a lawyer...I have a feeling that will make him dig in his heels - he has one practically on staff, whereas I have to get one...

Old 11-14-2012, 08:57 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
WELL since the tenant sent her money to the PM AFTER you told her via letter that the PM was no longer in charge You can /should serve her with eviction notice .. bet that gets her attation.. your the owner he works for you so fireing him means that you fire him and file a complaint for his abuse of services ..
He sounds like a real problem so yeh Lawyer up and plan on an expensive ride to get back on track..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting