Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:21 AM

6 posts, read 9,833 times

Advertisements

I rented a room and the landlord made me do a 6 month lease. I've been here for less than 4 weeks now. However my hope is that I get out of this place because it's so small and depressing as well as the internet connection frequently getting lost, I don't want to be here anymore.

If I just break the contract and not pay him anymore money, how might that work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,129,444 times
Your landlord 'made' you do a 6 mth lease? Did he hold a gun to your head and force you to sign in? I doubt it, you willingly read, signed and agreed to the lease. You knew what you were getting into when you did the pre move in walk thru.

Yes, you can break your lease; read your lease and your landlord/tenant laws and follow what they say.

If you just stop paying rent, he's going to evict you.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 AM

he made up his own lease agreement and there was nothing mentioned about breaking the lease. just that it was nonrefundable.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:17 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,891,622 times
You signed a legally binding contract which you're basically responsible for until it's end date. Go to the first "sticky" on this forum and you'll probably find a link to your state's landlord tenant laws which will explain your responsibilities. After you've read up, talk to your landlord and see if you can come to a compromise.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM

241 posts, read 795,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentedroom View Post
I rented a room and the landlord made me do a 6 month lease. I've been here for less than 4 weeks now. However my hope is that I get out of this place because it's so small and depressing as well as the internet connection frequently getting lost, I don't want to be here anymore.

If I just break the contract and not pay him anymore money, how might that work out?
Badly

Old 07-26-2013, 08:29 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,670,836 times
What's non-refundable?

In CA nothing can be non-refundable except for a minimal application fee.

Need to know what state you are in. In some states it's easier to break a lease than in others.

You could just move out, and see if he sues you. Maybe he'll just keep your deposit.

In CA you can break a lease, but you will owe rent until the landlord finds a new tenant (and he has to make a reasonable effort at doing that).

Here's a legal article on breaking leases:

Breaking a Lease and Leaving Early | Nolo.com

Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM

34,188 posts, read 83,358,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentedroom View Post
I rented a room ... it's so small and depressing ... internet connection frequently getting lost
I've been here for less than 4 weeks now ... I don't want to be here anymore.
Awww... That must be like so sucky for you... huh?

Quote:
If I just break the contract and not pay him anymore money...?
That's a last resort.

1) Find another place that you KNOW you'll like better and can afford.
2) Talk to the house owner about your intention to leave.
3) Attempt to come to some sort of adult and businesslike understanding.
4) Expect that understanding to cost you some money.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,129,514 times
First off I would never sign an extended lease on a room for rent as not only may the space not be good but you also have the added isue of living with teh landlord which could make you not want to live there for personal reasons. With no lease 30 days and your gone, now your locked in.

That said I would tell him it's not what you were looking for and see if you can amicably leave. If he won't let you out of it though its probably ethically not the right thing to do if you just leave he's probably not going to pursue it. It's not as if your renting a house or apt where the landlord has an empty space and is paying a mortgage without a tenant. Its just a room. The amount per month is probably relatively low meaning will he really go after you for 5 months of a relatively small rent. If you wanna be nice maybe offer to pay next month rent to give him time to find a new renter.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 PM

32,759 posts, read 48,460,461 times
The landlord did not "make" you sign a six month lease. You knew it was a six month lease and you voluntarily signed it. You've got yourself into a legally binding, enforceable contract. Nobody is responsible for that but you.

Did the room shrink after you signed the lease? It's not nearly as big now as it was when you looked at it before signing the lease?

Tell the landlord you want to move and maybe he will allow you to buy your way out of the lease. Be aware that once you make arrangements to get out, you must be out by the arranged date. So you had better be sure you have a place to move to.

Also be aware, you will be looking for a new rental without a good landlord reference.

On the other hand, you've only got 5 months left to go and that really isn't all that long. So you could tough it out.

If it is depressing, buy yourself some really brightly colored throw pillows and maybe a cheerful area rug. That will be a lot cheaper than breaking a lease.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:41 PM

I think the frequent disconnection of the Internet might be more problematic. Unless I go to a local McDonald for Internet access but then it would be expensive if I felt obliged to buy a drink each time I go there for Internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting