Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 02:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,967 times

Advertisements

I am just out of college and moved to a new city, I had no real rental history and was without a job since I secured a place before moving. I paid a 9 month lease in full, plus security deposit equal to one months rent. After being here for a few months, I am miserable. The walls are paper thin and I hear everything my neighbors do: every noise, every conversation, every phone ring, tv, EVERYTHING.

There is no mention in my lease pertaining to sub-leasing. So, do I have any options? If I found a sublet, would my landlord have to give me my money back?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM

155 posts, read 565,456 times
Doubt it, and doubt you would want to pay the rent if you sub moved out early also...

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,912,173 times
You could move and leave it empty. Maybe when the lease is up you could get your deposit back. Subleasing is not a good idea. If the sub did not pay the rent, you would be responsible.
I seriously doubt the LL will give you any money back.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:51 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,256,030 times
If there is nothing in the lease you should ask to see what options are offered to you.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 AM

155 posts, read 565,456 times
You should not have paid in full.

A LL lease's a property to somone with no real credit and hopes to make a profit.

They give somone the keys and hope the place is taken care of the rent is paid and the does not cause any liabilities..

Next time do not pay up front. easy lesson to learn...

LL, they never seem to learn, and many will give you the keys for $99 or less...

Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
if someone breaks a lease by leaving early, the landlord needs to make all attemps to re-rent the place to someone else. As soon as the new renter moves in, the landlord would owe you rent from that date untill your lease-end date. But landlord can charge you the adverstising fees for finding the new tenant.

You should talk to your landlord.

Another option is early lease termination fee. In this case you agree for the landlord to keep a lump sum settlement amt for you to leave before your lease end date. In your case, the landlord would refund your future rent less the amt of this settlement. Landlord would also refund your security deposit less any damages.

When you both agree on an early termination settlement, you need to ensure this is all in writing and signed by landlord, releasing you from the lease oblgigation.

the landlord can then keep the early termination lump sum settlement and then landlord can re-rent immidiately but in this case he doesn't owe you anything more if new renter arrives quickly. thus the early termination settlement fee is a win-win for the landlord if he can rerent it quickly. He could legally double dip. But he also faces the risk that it wont rent quickly and he cannot accept any more rent from you regardless.
Another optio

Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,967 times
I will offer a fee and hope he let's me out of the lease. Is there a certain amount I should mention, or let him throw something out there (assuming he agrees)? This sounds much better then a sublet...I will approach him and see what he says. Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
if someone breaks a lease by leaving early, the landlord needs to make all attemps to re-rent the place to someone else. As soon as the new renter moves in, the landlord would owe you rent from that date untill your lease-end date. But landlord can charge you the adverstising fees for finding the new tenant.

You should talk to your landlord.

Another option is early lease termination fee. In this case you agree for the landlord to keep a lump sum settlement amt for you to leave before your lease end date. In your case, the landlord would refund your future rent less the amt of this settlement. Landlord would also refund your security deposit less any damages.

When you both agree on an early termination settlement, you need to ensure this is all in writing and signed by landlord, releasing you from the lease oblgigation.

the landlord can then keep the early termination lump sum settlement and then landlord can re-rent immidiately but in this case he doesn't owe you anything more if new renter arrives quickly. thus the early termination settlement fee is a win-win for the landlord if he can rerent it quickly. He could legally double dip. But he also faces the risk that it wont rent quickly and he cannot accept any more rent from you regardless.
Another optio

Old 02-04-2013, 05:57 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,532,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanmarks View Post
I will offer a fee and hope he let's me out of the lease. Is there a certain amount I should mention, or let him throw something out there (assuming he agrees)? This sounds much better then a sublet...I will approach him and see what he says. Thank you.
Florida leases started requireing a checkbox in the lease where the early termination fee is agreed upon ahead of time. It is 2x monthly rent paid to landlord as a lump sum. and then renter is released from the lease. You would still be due your security deposit less any damages(if any).

You could always try for 1.5x monthly rent or come up with a lump sum close to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting