Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 04:24 AM

1 posts, read 1,845 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting a room in NJ. I have no lease agreement, but I have gotten receipts each month. I have been here since August 2012.

Without going into it all, I moved here because I was in desperate need of a place. I did not have to pay a security deposit and the rent was well within my range, but it was in a terrible part of town and the place was definitely "boarding house"-esque.

I finally got all my issues in order, and by happenstance was able to find a new place to live for July 2013. Deposit paid, lease signed.

I talked to my current LL yesterday immediately afterwards, and while he didn't get mad, he said that he wanted to charge me half of rent for July because I didn't give him 30 days.

I know that's the standard, but I will literally be living on the tips from my job until I get paid on 07/12.

Without any sort of lease agreement, is he allowed to do that?

Thanks for any help. I normally do not look for loopholes to get out of things like this. I've rented in NJ for a while and have never had any issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 05:27 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhermano1 View Post
I am currently renting a room in NJ...
by happenstance was able to find a new place to live (that is available) July 2013.
Deposit paid, lease signed.
Good for you. Enjoy your new home.

Quote:
I talked to my current LL yesterday...
he said that he wanted to charge me half of rent for July because I didn't give him 30 days.
I know that's the standard, but...
But nothing. (btw... half of a months rent is LESS than standard)

Quote:
Without any sort of lease agreement, is he allowed to do that?
In short, yes. The notice period is never less than the payment cycle.

You aren't obliged to stay in the room... but he does have a reasonable expectation that
the rent he expected to receive 3 or 4 days from now will show up.
Splitting the difference is a *more* than reasonable compromise.

For future reference... paying double rent for a period of time when moving is common.
Not doing so is very difficult to juggle and almost always requires stiffing someone to achieve.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:18 AM

701 posts, read 1,692,142 times
First off, I'm happy for you that you've found and can handle a new and better place. But even as a renter myself, I concur with MrRational. You have to remember that the landlord is relying on your rent as steady income just as you rely on your salary. And the landlord is being incredibly, incredibly nice by asking you to pay only 1/2 a month (trust me on this!). It'll be rice and beans for a couple weeks (and work food I guess, if you're getting tips from working in a restaurant), but it's only a couple weeks in the scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting