Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 01:43 PM

218 posts, read 776,127 times

Advertisements

LL - have you ever let your tenant break their lease?

I've been reading about this "happy clause" thing that the Landlord will give an out to the renter to break the lease early if they are constantly complaining.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:01 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,523,524 times
There is such a thing as mutually breaking it I suppose. My last tenant could not pay. And I couldn't stand him. So I said if he was out by the end if the weekend I would not go after him for the balance if the lease. I kept his security and last month rent. And there were damages. He was gone in 4. Earlier then I had given. Fine with me. Have a great tenant now.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,076,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
LL - have you ever let your tenant break their lease?
Thoughts?
The lease is not an indenture. You can't make them stay.

ANY tenant can leave at ANY time and for ANY reason.
The ONLY variables are reconciling damages and the time/bother to find a new tenant.

Like with a divorce... sometimes it's better for everyone to just split up.
In most instances the LL will end up with a higher paying tenant in the newly cleaned unit...
and having learned a few things (the hard way) about how to screen applicants.

OTOH... some properties are HARD to find tenants for or are objectively overpriced.
These LL's will be inclined to put up with a paying PITA rather than have an empty.
Most of those would be better off with a more stable tenant; even discounting the rent to get them.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:42 PM

118 posts, read 887,685 times
I am in the process right now in fact.

2 months left on lease, house is kinda filthy. Hope the steam cleaners can get it out.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:48 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,843,341 times
I've offered to let a tenant move out if they're not happy a few times. It's usually when they constantly complain about things beyond my control. Neighbors, traffic, dogs, etc. Most of the time there are complaints about things inside the house. Complaints about things that are cosmetic or have no effect on the house.

If you don;t like it here, feel free to leave.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:36 PM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
I don't do leases and it is specifically so I can kick out high maintenance or unpleasant tenants. Normally, they don't want to go, but too bad. They get their notice and out they go.

Life is too short to put up with abuse from tenants.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't do leases and it is specifically so I can kick out high maintenance or unpleasant tenants. Normally, they don't want to go, but too bad. They get their notice and out they go.

Life is too short to put up with abuse from tenants.
Now that's interesting.

How can you kick out a tenant that is paying on time but a pain? I thought a good reason was required to evict a tenant, such as abuse of property or not paying. But you can kick em out if they are complainers?

Old 04-11-2013, 06:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,052,469 times
Quote:
Now that's interesting.

How can you kick out a tenant that is paying on time but a pain? I thought a good reason was required to evict a tenant, such as abuse of property or not paying. But you can kick em out if they are complainers?

With month to month tenants all that's needed is a 30 day notice and no reason has to be given.

The same applies to leases.....when the term is up, you don't have to renew and you don't have to give a reason why.

Just make sure you're giving proper notice in either situation.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
With month to month tenants all that's needed is a 30 day notice and no reason has to be given.

The same applies to leases.....when the term is up, you don't have to renew and you don't have to give a reason why.

Just make sure you're giving proper notice in either situation.
Oh, okay thanks. I thought it meant that during the lease you can thrown someone out. Month to month makes sense.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,052,469 times
Quote:
Oh, okay thanks. I thought it meant that during the lease you can thrown someone out. Month to month makes sense.

You can evict a tenant in the middle of the lease if they violate the lease.

The guy across the hall from me was evicted in the middle of his lease because he just couldn't grasp the concept that all weekly all night parties aren't welcome here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting