Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 PM

21 posts, read 83,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, it's almost August. If I were a landlord who asked you for 2 months of paystubs and you showed me stubs from 6 months ago, I would wonder what you were hiding about your CURRENT income.

Ask the LLs of properties you are interested in. (But does your uncle know that he would be responsible for your rent if you don't pay?)

Again, it's up to the LLs. There's no blanket rule on this (although I think most LLs just run their own credit reports).
Thanks for responding.

And yes my uncle as well as everyone involved knows that he would have to be responsible to make payments incase we are unable to, but that has never and will not happen (He cosigned our current residence).

Yeah I think asking to not run a credit report makes it seem suspicious to the LL/manager. I'm only trying to avoid any hard pulls on my dads credit report, thats all. He doesnt have any collections, bankruptcy, late payments or any evictions. He has about 3 hard inquiries that will be taken off in 3 months (2yrs will be up).

Thats why I was asking if those ''hard pulls'' count as just one if you do it within a set period of time? As in applying for 2-3 apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:24 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan32k View Post
Thats why I was asking if those ''hard pulls'' count as just one if you do it within a set period of time? As in applying for 2-3 apartments.
Sorry, that's the one question of yours that I have no answer for at all. I just have no idea. You might google "apartment hunting credit hard pull" or variations thereof to see what you get.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry, that's the one question of yours that I have no answer for at all. I just have no idea. You might google "apartment hunting credit hard pull" or variations thereof to see what you get.
Yup I've been digging through google to find such an answer. Sometimes I get 14 days, some I get 30 days.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,036,935 times
In all honesty, the credit inquiries are the least of your problems. Having a co signer usually indicates that you're not rent worthy. Do you have to move or are you wanting to move? This seems like such a soap opera just to move on a whim.

You really need to just put in applications where you are looking to move to and let them tell you what you need document wise.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
I agree. Not sure how much the credit checks impact your score and am not sure how long the time period is in which multiple checks count as one search, but it's not likely to make such a difference that it's going to make or break getting an apartment. MUCH more suspicious would be to ask to show outdated pay stubs AND provide my own credit report. I'm not a landlord, but insisting on those two points seems to strongly suggest that you have something to hide (even if you don't.).

We've applied for a bunch of apartments over the past year (rental market is crazy where we live now) and none wanted to see old bank statements. Or, rather, one place wanted to see old pay stubs, but because our situation was a little complicated and the statements didn't fully reflect the full story, we instead submitted a letter from my husband's HR department verifying employment and annual income. (we also had our tax return, but no one asked to see it.) If you can provide references and proof of income and don't have a criminal past or an eviction I doubt that a potential small fluctuation in your dad's credit score is going to matter. And the landlords will also presumably be looking at the full report, and will be more interested in debt and making payments on time than they are in score alone.

I can, however, understand not wanting to pay for a new credit check for every application. With luck your rental market won't be so tough that it takes too long to find a place. Here in our part of California it seemed that many (although not all) landlords were willing to accept our own copy of our current (within 30 days) credit report. Given the tight rental market in this part of the state I think many applicants come to apartment showings with copy of credit report in hand. In any case, I wouldn't waste time worrying about the credit checks, although it's worth at least offering to provide your own to (a) avoid extra checks and potentially (b) save some money on the application fee.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree. Not sure how much the credit checks impact your score and am not sure how long the time period is in which multiple checks count as one search, but it's not likely to make such a difference that it's going to make or break getting an apartment. MUCH more suspicious would be to ask to show outdated pay stubs AND provide my own credit report. I'm not a landlord, but insisting on those two points seems to strongly suggest that you have something to hide (even if you don't.).

We've applied for a bunch of apartments over the past year (rental market is crazy where we live now) and none wanted to see old bank statements. Or, rather, one place wanted to see old pay stubs, but because our situation was a little complicated and the statements didn't fully reflect the full story, we instead submitted a letter from my husband's HR department verifying employment and annual income. (we also had our tax return, but no one asked to see it.) If you can provide references and proof of income and don't have a criminal past or an eviction I doubt that a potential small fluctuation in your dad's credit score is going to matter. And the landlords will also presumably be looking at the full report, and will be more interested in debt and making payments on time than they are in score alone.

I can, however, understand not wanting to pay for a new credit check for every application. With luck your rental market won't be so tough that it takes too long to find a place. Here in our part of California it seemed that many (although not all) landlords were willing to accept our own copy of our current (within 30 days) credit report. Given the tight rental market in this part of the state I think many applicants come to apartment showings with copy of credit report in hand. In any case, I wouldn't waste time worrying about the credit checks, although it's worth at least offering to provide your own to (a) avoid extra checks and potentially (b) save some money on the application fee.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

To clear up so far what we've done:

I was able to get my parents full credit report for free from equifax (Free trial signup). Instead of printing all 80 pages I'll give the manager/LL the username and password so they can view it online. No cost for credit check and this way they won't have to do a hard pull will they?

and No we were not planning on giving old bank statements or paystubs. Both are from the last 2 months.
Although we were a little uncomfortable giving out the bank statements (we crossed out the acct#'s). Is this a standard practice nowadays? I've heard some LL's ask for them and some don't. Manager also wants copy of ID's. I'm just potentially worried about fraud but the realtor seems legit. I found the apartment listed on a website I frequently use to search up apartments around the area.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM

110 posts, read 348,446 times
I would definitely not provide bank statements. If a landlord or PM insisted I would cross that place on my list and keep looking.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
We have not had to provide bank statements, but it's not necessarily a scam. Our rental agency DID ask for them (a long-standing legitimate rental company), but were happy to accept the work-provided income verification letter instead. They didn't really care about the bank account; they just wanted some evidence that we really did have a source of regular income.

I wouldn't be concerned about being required to show ID. I think that is fairly common, especially with management companies or larger apartment complexes. We've had copies of our IDs made just to look at apartments. I had assumed (although am not a landlord so am just guessing here!) that it was for their protection/security, especially since in some cases we were looking at apartments that were not yet vacated. And I suppose if they really do rent to you they want to know that you really are the person that you claim to be on the application.

If something feels wrong, of course, don't do it. We did look at a few apartments (in SF and in NYC) that seemed too good to be true, and we did not put in applications. I don't think that identity theft is the primary issue these days (although I suppose it could be an issue) but rather scammers trying to collect bogus application fees or even bogus security deposits for apartments that are not really for rent.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
We have not had to provide bank statements, but it's not necessarily a scam. Our rental agency DID ask for them (a long-standing legitimate rental company), but were happy to accept the work-provided income verification letter instead. They didn't really care about the bank account; they just wanted some evidence that we really did have a source of regular income.

I wouldn't be concerned about being required to show ID. I think that is fairly common, especially with management companies or larger apartment complexes. We've had copies of our IDs made just to look at apartments. I had assumed (although am not a landlord so am just guessing here!) that it was for their protection/security, especially since in some cases we were looking at apartments that were not yet vacated. And I suppose if they really do rent to you they want to know that you really are the person that you claim to be on the application.

If something feels wrong, of course, don't do it. We did look at a few apartments (in SF and in NYC) that seemed too good to be true, and we did not put in applications. I don't think that identity theft is the primary issue these days (although I suppose it could be an issue) but rather scammers trying to collect bogus application fees or even bogus security deposits for apartments that are not really for rent.
I submitted everything through email to the realtor, she was having trouble printing the bank statements because they kept cutting off and she said the credit report wasn't the full one and not in depth after she logged into our profile (she was obviously just viewing the credit summary at the front page). So she calls me to her office and I show her how to access the full report, she obviously was pushing to have us pay the application fee so they could run it themselves. I am not that gullible. I print the full report for both my parents and take copies with me, she had no complaints after she looked at them. She mentioned how I blacked out the acct #'s on the bank statements and there was no reason to worry about it, I told her we do not have to provide that information, you wanted the statements and I showed them to you.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFan32k View Post
I submitted everything through email to the realtor (landlord or property manager)
Did you FIRST ask what objective standards they look for (to qualify)?
Have you asked ANY of the LL's you complain about what their standards are?

Again... income: rent is the most common FIRST hurdle; with debt:income being the second.
If you KNOW in advance that you won't meet these standards...

Quote:
..she obviously was pushing to have us pay the application fee so they could run it themselves.
Because LL's have legal responsibilities to treat every applicant equally...
which extends to HOW they verify the information being presented to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting