Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 PM

56 posts, read 145,282 times

Advertisements

i have 3 cats who are my babies. i love them as much as my daughter. they ARE my children!! ;0) i live in an apartment complex that is for the most part really ghetto. didn't know it when i moved in here. we were brought in the back door. just like all the other good tenants. i have stayed because of my disability. i also have an 8 year old. and it's hard to find a place that will allow my 3 cats

well today all the tenants got notices that there will only be a 2 pet limit. i just signed my new lease 2 days ago. but unfortunately didn't see the new rule. when we moved here 3 were okay. my friend who lives here who is also a good tenant begged to keep hers. they told her no way. she has to leave. or get rid of one. all the good tenants are at a loss for words. here is why

the neighbor next door who smokes pot and has it reaking in the hallways is still here. the same neighbor who threatened me because i asked her to stop cussing in the hallway is still here. that same neighbor who took out her garbage and the bag ripped. leaking all kind of sour milk and stinky liquid and stained the carpets and stank them up is still here. that same neighbor whose kids wrote on the walls and terrorized another neighbor to the point she left is still here. same neighbor left town and left gas on for 2 days and we all got carbon monoxide poisoning. BUT THEY WILL NOT EVICT HER!! even though we have complained of her drug activity. and her leaving doors propped open in our secure building. yet now 2 neighbors i know ar being evicted because of pets!!! NOT criminal activity.

also in other buildings there were thefts. the perpetrator apologized and is still here. they told me i am an excellent tenant. yet, i also was warned if i had more than 2 pets, i had to give one up or leave. 9after they asked me to write a letter giving them high marks because everyone gives this place a bad rating)

in my lifetime, i am sad to say.. i have seen if you follow the rules. are a good girl. your life sucks! the bad people seem to get the breaks.

i am seriously thinking of WAITNG until they discover the other cat before ei leave. what would you do? the one hides when people come. but he is in the window. i could say we ar PET sitting.
I KNOW it's wrong for me to lie. but what i am doing is not criminal. not hurting other tenants and i just don't get why the bad seeds stay. and the good have to go. BTW. our place is super clean and spotless. no cat smell.

again. what would you do? part of me feels like just being a bad girl .... and not telling them. but what if they find out? can they sue me? or just make me leave? and if it came to that, becaus ei am sure the bad neighbor may rat me out. would they at least give me a few weeks to leave? i have NEVER payed rent one day late. never bothered anyone. just a mom with 2 cats who are my babies. by the way. not one is leaving out of the question. it's just hard finding another place now....

i am crying. so scared and frustrated. and so angry that the bad ones here get all the breaks. help!!!

Last edited by ManhattanGirlz; 10-08-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 01:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManhattanGirlz View Post
[FONT=Tahoma the one hides when people come. but he is in the window. [/color][/font]
There is a sticky frosted film you can place on your window, it lets the light in -but they won't be able to tell one cat from another. That will buy you some time.

As for the criminal neighbors, you need to call the police. Complaining to the landlord doesn't help because the landlord has no proof of criminal behavior, until police reports are filed.

Start looking for a new place. If you can't report the neighbors to the police, or in the event you are discovered with extra pets - you really need to move out.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:25 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Because you have a clear & prompt rental payment record and also because of your disability, you may have the right to insist you be grandfathered into the new rules, i.e., be able to keep your three cats.

I'm not sure that what the landlord is doing is even legal. You've got internet access, start checking for renters' advocacy groups and also check out the free legal aid possibilities. You need to know what is the law concerning your status and the fact that new conditions of qualifying to rent in that place are being instituted.

The neighbors. . .that's really a separate situation and I agree you need to call the police, but right at the time the stuff is going on.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Have your doctor write a letter stating that due to your disability, your cats are therapy cats. Then he won't be able to do anything, and you can move to another place without a problem with them.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,989,759 times
Default I would move.....

It doesn't sound like a nice place to live anyway. Have you looked at apts in Queens? They're cheaper than in Manhattan and you can find a better apt complex with less trashy people around you. I knew a woman who lived in Astoria with her 4 cats paying only $800 a month rent. It was an older building, 6 families but everyone there was nice.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Because you have a clear & prompt rental payment record and also because of your disability, you may have the right to insist you be grandfathered into the new rules, i.e., be able to keep your three cats.

I'm not sure that what the landlord is doing is even legal. You've got internet access, start checking for renters' advocacy groups and also check out the free legal aid possibilities. You need to know what is the law concerning your status and the fact that new conditions of qualifying to rent in that place are being instituted.

The neighbors. . .that's really a separate situation and I agree you need to call the police, but right at the time the stuff is going on.

I have to agree! I would be looking into the what's legal and what can be done.

And as for anything illegal going on, if you have beat cop or a substation, let them know of the ongoings.

But since you have disability you may qualify for some approved housing for you. That's something you can look into. A friend of mine years ago lived in wheel chair friendly apartment complex that allowed for families and pets.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM

56 posts, read 145,282 times
thank you so much for your replies. such kind hearts.

@ moved. my doctor DID write me a letter stating they are therapy cats a year ago. but when the leasing consultant laughed at me when she read the letter, i didn't insist on her knocking off the pet fee for both. i actually felt ashamed. she said "i never heard of a CAT being a therapy pet!!!" almost laughing. people were coming in the office. it was a private matter for me. so i didn't pursue it.

i finally put on my brass ovaries and had my doctor make it clear all the cats were originally to be claimed as therapy pets.

honestly. she (the apt manager) really didn't seem happy. this was 2 days ago. same day i signed the lease! my doctor faxed it over to the office. at first the manager said IF my doctor stated in writing more than one was a therapy pet she would wave the extra pet fee. so i did.well. funny thing. she then said now she had to ask the higher ups. her boss. then we all got the letter about the pet limit.

kinda feel like i am being punished for asking to waive the pet fee. that's how it all started i think.

but had i known all of this before i signed the lease, i wouldn't have. thanks again.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:47 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Have your doctor write a letter stating that due to your disability, your cats are therapy cats. Then he won't be able to do anything, and you can move to another place without a problem with them.
You realize that every time someone like you advocates LYING about whether a pet is a 'therapy' or 'assistance' animal, it makes it that much harder for someone who needs a REAL therapy or assistance animal to get people to believe them?

Geeze.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,766,281 times
Thanks for posting this new information, Manhattan! Don't feel shy or guilty about standing your ground on this. Of course you do need to know just what that ground is.

Here's a link which may prove helpful: Housing Links: Online Resources for New York City Tenants and Housing Advocates

And this one, about disability advocacy: Disabilities Network of New York City

One this one, scroll down to the appropriate area, as it's listen alphabetically:
LIST OF FREE LEGAL SERVICES PROVIDERS (http://www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/freelglchtNY.htm - broken link)

I know you said you wouldn't have signed the new lease if you'd known about the new restriction, but it's expensive and can be difficult to move, especially if there's some hardship present. I just think you need to know the facts of the situation.

As long as you are paying your rent in a timely fashion, I don't think they can evict. But again, you need to know what is NY law.

I so much hope some of this is helpful.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:43 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: New York - HUD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting