Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 10:27 AM

911 posts, read 2,156,838 times

Advertisements

is there a certain number of tenants that are allowed legally per sq foot or per # of bedrooms in rentals? if so, is it state by state?

just curious.. it seems like it would be like 2 ppl per bedroom or so many per certain sq ft of living space...

thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 10:49 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,957,221 times
I know here in North Carolina it is 2 heartbeats per bedroom. That's exactly how it was explained to me.

guess I'm in trouble, I have 2 cats that sleep with me. haha

Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Most Housing Authorities use the 2 per bedroom rule plus 1... so 3 people in a 1 bedroom.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:01 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,384,528 times
I've also heard that children need separate room, and if a boy and girl, they need separated. So a husband/wife, boy and girl, need a minimum 3 bdrm apt. If you rent a 2 bdrm apt to this scenerio, they will sue you and you will be forced to pay their move and living expenses afterward. Tenants know these laws and are always trying to pull one over on non-suspecting landlords. I had an unmarried woman with 6 children try to rent a one-bedroom apartment from me, and threaten to sue if I didn't, trying to force me into this situation. Nice try! These laws change from time to time, and place to place. You need local information from the courthouse. Renting is really a dog-eat-dog business, not for the meak.

Last edited by ESFP; 09-16-2008 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-16-2008, 04:49 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,702,282 times
The fair housing law here in Fl. is no more than 2 heart beats per room.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I've also heard that children need separate room, and if a boy and girl, they need separated. So a husband/wife, boy and girl, need a minimum 3 bdrm apt.
This was the Rule used by local Housing Authority until about 15 years ago.

A single parent with a son and daughter would qualify for a 3 bedroom unit. One of the meeting I went to at the time explained the new 2 per bedroom + 1 change as follows.

1. The Housing Authority came under attack for gender discrimination by treating a parent with a son and daughter differently than a parent with two children of the same sex.

2. The stated goal of the Housing Authority is to house as many qualified families as possible... disregarding gender enabled the Housing Authority to house more people without additional funding.

The change was not retro-active. It only applied when a family moved or initial move-in after the effective date.

I personally know 2 families that decided against moving primarily because it meant giving up their 3 bedroom voucher in exchange for a 2 bedroom voucher.

By the way, Housing encourages boys and girls to be separated by sex... bedroom wise. The solution offered is for the parent to sleep in the living room leaving the bedrooms for the children.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:34 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,538 times
Many places where I live go by 2 per bedroom plus one. I have not found a private place that concerns itself with the kids gender. I know that housing authorities do-they seem to require only two kids per bedroom, and of the same gender.

My family is currently renting (as we await a move) and we are 7 in a three-bedroom. Mom and dad in one room, 2 girls in a room, three boys in the big master bedroom (yes, we are all on the lease). This is a private complex-if we were in public housing, they would not allow that and we'd be stuck since 4 bedrooms are rare here (which is why we aren't in a 4 bed now-we can certainly afford it but could not find one when we needed it, and this is temporary anyhow.)

Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,826,444 times
A few years ago, we had 2 small girls and another one on the way. We got a 2 bedroom. We stayed there in that apartment for 6 years, until the big bedroom was getting too small for three growing girls. Now we're in a 3 bedroom.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 PM

169 posts, read 1,084,819 times
Default I think its up to the landlords

When I lived in Cali, the apartment company I worked for did the 2 +1 rule.
So, I always believed until recently, that was the law in every state.
My hubby and I just recently had another one, which now makes 3 kids.
So, we have a total of 5....I got notice from my apartment manager I needed to move when my lease expires, which happened to be 60 days from the time my son was born. I had a 2/2 unit, and wanted to renew until Jan, when the weather was cooler, but they could not accomodate us.
To make a long story short, its really at the owners discresion. As long as they are doing 2 heads per room, they arent violating any laws.
Im in a three bedroom now and much happier, since we are not sitting on top of each other....hahaha

Old 11-16-2008, 11:11 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Just curious..Doesnt anyone know if they have rules like this elsewhere on the globe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting