Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 05:29 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,237,475 times

Advertisements

I haven't read all the replies so I may be repeating something someone else said..but...have you called the police and made a formal complaint about the drug us? Have you complained to the landlord? Not only verbally, but in writing as well regarding the same issue?

It doesn't seem fair that you've been renting with 3 cats and now have to get rid of one...I would think they would 'grandfather' the third cat in. The only you can do is try and work with the office in that regard. And call the police everytime you see drug activity...the police will get sick and tired of coming out and may end up fining the complex for so many calls. ( that's how it works in my city) Also, they fine for noise complaints as well. Good luck..you are in a hard spot and I hope you find some answers.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:31 AM

3,939 posts, read 9,017,712 times
I like how you're more concerned about your 3 cats than you are about your 8 year old.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:27 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,534,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I like how you're more concerned about your 3 cats than you are about your 8 year old.

The OP's post was about getting booted from an apt for having too many cats... NOT for having an 8 year old.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
The OP's post was about getting booted from an apt for having too many cats... NOT for having an 8 year old.

Exactly.

The point is, it is obviously an unsafe environment for the OP's child -- why is being evicted for having a third "therapy" cat the main issue here?

Old 10-09-2010, 10:39 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,191,076 times
Quote:
Exactly.

The point is, it is obviously an unsafe environment for the OP's child -- why is being evicted for having a third "therapy" cat the main issue here?
Had you read the original post the OP indicated why she was living where she is at the present time. Consider yourself lucky not to be facing living in a dangerous complex. Not everyone has that luxury.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Had you read the original post the OP indicated why she was living where she is at the present time. Consider yourself lucky not to be facing living in a dangerous complex. Not everyone has that luxury.
You mean her "disability" or because "it's hard to find a place that allows 3 cats"??

Old 10-09-2010, 11:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,082,317 times
Just for the record, I too was disturbed at kayfouroh's comment which I thought was uncalled for, unwarranted and unkind.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:06 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,237,475 times
Quote:
Exactly.

If the place was that unsafe for children, DCF would've removed all the children from the complex What a moron.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:42 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,642,374 times
Forget making the comparisons between cats and criminals. In your landlord's mind their is no comparison and you are just wasting your time and energy with this argument.

If there are still tennats forcing eviction for having too many cats, consider this: I was in a similar position in which the new landlord wanted all the incumbent tennants to pay a pet fee for their cats who had been their for years. All the tennants got together and told the landlord they had been good, responsible pet owners and the former landlord could vouch for them.

Then came the big guns; they told the landlord they would leave before they would pay the rent. The landlord would stand to lose at least five tennants in an 11 apartment at once. He couldn't afford that so he withdrew the demand grandfathered the present cat owners into the new rental contracts as not having to pay the deposit.

I don't know your exact situation but maybe you could employ similar tactics. First and formost though, become familiar with your legal rights as a tennant in your city.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If the place was that unsafe for children, DCF would've removed all the children from the complex What a moron.
Never did I say that there is some sort of toxic sludge running down this person's walls requiring the apartment being condemned.. the OP keeps saying there are drug abusers, aggressive neighbors, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc. etc. and yet her main concern is an extra cat, not the safety of the 8 yo.

Not my business, I guess, but you come on here complaining of horrible conditions and make a point to say you have an 8 yo yet are concerned about being evicted for a third cat.

Priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting