Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 11:17 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times

Advertisements

We currently have a home offered for rent. Its empty, we moved out about a month ago. There's been a lot of interest, per the listing agent, but no offers.

I was just there today, I have to admit, it looks somewhat uninviting and "cold" Its a large home, ~3200 sq ft, with 5 bdr. Without furniture, it looks cold and impersonal. I wish I could afford to paint the interior a warm color, perhaps a soft beige, right now its just a plain white.

We really can't afford to rent furniture to make it look lived in. I was thinking of some little ideas that could perhaps make it more inviting?

such as----a silk plant on the dining room bar

a small table near the door with a basket with potpurri

perhaps some flyers inside and a nice basket of note paper, pencils

The master bathroom particularly looks institutional without anything. Maybe a nice shower curtain, and one nice plant on the counter? Just something to add some color

In all bathrooms, a shower curtain, maybe a picture, a plant? No TP---that invites too much "familiarity"

a nice door mat outside, perhaps a wreath on the door?

We just moved and it cost a fortune, and spent a lot of time getting our stuff out, now we're dragging stuff back in!

I don't intend to decorate or furnishe the place, just a few things here and there to make it look inviting. Also, some air freshner, we put in vanilla scented today. The electric is on, but the AC is set about 80, making it a little musty inside. I hope the air freshner gives a more pleasant feel to the place.

Any more suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:54 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
Air freshners can be overwhelming in an empty holuse. Too much smell. If the bedrooms are carpeted, sprinkly baby powder on the carpet in the smaller bedrooms, not alot, just a sprinkle. When someone walks on it, it activates and the people will think " baby" room. In the kitchen, put in a small air freshner of cookie dough or apples or cinamon. Put it in the oven so it does not permeate the house. Put a doormat, no wreath. A small flower arrangement (artificial) on a table at the door with a brochure or printout about the house. In the bathrooms put those oil aroma freshners, but not flowery smells. No shower curtain. Keep everything subtle and just things to make the house fresh.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:25 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
We currently have a home offered for rent. Its empty, we moved out about a month ago. There's been a lot of interest, per the listing agent, but no offers.

I was just there today, I have to admit, it looks somewhat uninviting and "cold" Its a large home, ~3200 sq ft, with 5 bdr. Without furniture, it looks cold and impersonal. I wish I could afford to paint the interior a warm color, perhaps a soft beige, right now its just a plain white.

We really can't afford to rent furniture to make it look lived in. I was thinking of some little ideas that could perhaps make it more inviting?

such as----a silk plant on the dining room bar

a small table near the door with a basket with potpurri

perhaps some flyers inside and a nice basket of note paper, pencils

The master bathroom particularly looks institutional without anything. Maybe a nice shower curtain, and one nice plant on the counter? Just something to add some color

In all bathrooms, a shower curtain, maybe a picture, a plant? No TP---that invites too much "familiarity"

a nice door mat outside, perhaps a wreath on the door?

We just moved and it cost a fortune, and spent a lot of time getting our stuff out, now we're dragging stuff back in!

I don't intend to decorate or furnishe the place, just a few things here and there to make it look inviting. Also, some air freshner, we put in vanilla scented today. The electric is on, but the AC is set about 80, making it a little musty inside. I hope the air freshner gives a more pleasant feel to the place.

Any more suggestions?
You got the right idea. I recently bought my first place, wasnt sure whether it was going to be a flip or I was gonna live in it. I bought a little bit of furniture when I was planning on living in it but decided to sell. My place is relatively empty.

I had a couch so couch works good in the living room, I also got a ikea coffee table for $7, two of them actually ptu an old lamp on one and a plant on antoher. Upstairs put in a shower curtain and just that makes a world or difference. I borrowed na old bed from my gf and put a bed in the master and made it up nicely.

My house is still relatively empty but I think the bedroom with the bed was a good idea, now people can visualize how large the room is even with a queen size bed in it.

Even if you dont have much to put in it even a little bitof styuff will make a big difference. Depending on how much you have to spend end tables can be bought at ikea for like $7 and you can pick up some other furniture for cheap if not free on craigslist.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
Default What is your competition?

In my experience if there are lots if other houses that really are furnished / decoratedly nicely and have been staged so that buyers can imagine what it be like with "stuff" the competition that is vacant/empty is at a disadvantage.

If most of the other listings are also vacant then just making yours look clean / unyucky is good enough.

I completely understand that you do not want to spend money renting furniture, however if your competition looks better than what you house shows as, you may need to at least drag some of your stuff over for key rooms. I have gone so far as to just get a mat trees on top of boxes of correct size to allow a pretty bedspread / quilt to fill the room appropriately. Similarly with a kitchen that has an eat-in area a junk table with a pretty tablecloth will at least show folks how the space is usable for a family with four kids or whatever...

Any wear on carpets or scuffed hardwood floors look much much worse in a vacant house. Ditto for windows that are not spotless, cobwebs, cooking stains, laundry room spills. Some buyers spefically look for vacant houses where they can focus on these kinds of things so that when the inspection report comes back they will get price adjustment to refinish / replace worn items.

Staging works to sell home more quickly and at a better price. When the competition looks better than you do they sell faster and for more money. If you cannot afford to go "full boat" you can get creative with maybe just a portion of the home staged, bartering with a staging company willing to cut you a deal to gain exposure, borrowing stuff from friends / family, making a trip to the thrift store / recycler to get throw away grade furniture that will at least hold up for showing / faux finish...

Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
Have you noticed that more rental complexes have taken a vacant apartment or two and staged them for showing? Years ago, they showed empty vacant apartments, now they first show you the staged units before taking you to see the actual vacant apartment, and right back to the staged unit to answer questions. The same thing applies to new home developments, the models are there to make you see the floorplan but the staging makes you think that's what it will be like when you buy it.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 AM

The house is stripped bare, and looks cold and uninviting. We really can't afford rental furniture to stage it. I feel a few splotches of color here and there, just to give it a fee that humans have been there recently, will make a difference. I plan tomorrow to go to some thrift stores, get some pictures, plants, whatever I can find. Also, get some place settings and dishes, display on the breakfast bar. and we have two bar stools. Just to make it look like a place to be at home.

I feel a cheap but colorful shower curtain wil make a world of difference. forget the towels, other accessories, you can over do it. In the LR, perhaps a few pictures, a planter, small end table with lamp, in bedrooms just a few things.

In checking the competetion, the main difference is they have a nice interior paint job, usually soft cream or beige, while our walls are just builder white. I'm really thinking an investment in a nice interior paint job would warm things up, but would cost about $2000+, and we're not in a position to do it ourselves. I'm starting to think our house is worth nothing, because we can't find a buyer. We laready put 10K into improvements, but may have to put another 5K to bring it up to speed. Its not a dump, far from that, but buyers are so picky.

Also, when they removed the washer/dryer, the sheet vinyl floor underneath has pink mildew stains, that stuff that telescopes up from the underfloor. We didn't realize it until they removed the w/d, by then we had already redone the other flooring with ceramic tile. Perhaps we shoud get the laundry room redone with ceramic as well? Right now its a turnoff, people will probably think mold and water damage.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:42 PM

Still not rented!

We're lowering the rent, that's what attracts people the most.

Also, this weekend we're going back (fortunately its just a 2 hour trip) and doing some more sprucing up.

I like the idea of a cinnamon or apple scented air freshner inside the oven, or perhaps just inside a cabinet, that would prevent an accidental fire if left on. Just a hint of something cooking.

Also, the place doesn't have a built in microwave, just a hood over the stove. We had a countertop microwave we left behind, but I feel people look for a builtin. We're biting the bullet and buying a built in microwave, also, having the interior painted a warm cream color, as opposed to the current institutional white. At least all this is a tax write off, but that only eases the bite a bit.

In the meanwhile, I found some nice shower curtains on sale for $8 each, nice brown & blue, got a few artificial plant arrangements cheap, will use them to soften up the place a bit. Right now it has a feeling of being abandonded, although we just moved out 3 weeks ago.

The competetion isn't moving, either. There's 3 houses for lease right on our street, they aren't budging, either. They look nicer inside, also, are more expensive than ours, so it can't be the price.

I think its just the economy, the market, people aren't moving right now.
We're putting more into that home than our current home, to pretty it up to sell. Well, we're currently renting a home that was on the market over a year, the owner lowered the price 3x, then did major fix up, including all new carpet, paint, fixutres, etc. I grabbed it right away because it suited us, but the agent balked at our offer.

It was listed for sale or lease, basically, she wanted to hold out for the bigger commission that a purchase could bring. I tracked down the owner (amazing what you can find on Facebook), told the guy we wanted to rent, he said no one had brought him our offer, which they are required by law to do. legally, a real estate agent must bring all legit offers to the owner, but how can they track that? The owner was getting screwed.

That's why I just listed my property for rent, not for sale or lease, whichever comes first. No way will an agent push the lease when they think there's a possibility to make a sale.

Now the thing to do is somehow find a renter. Its a 5 bdr, I think our chances are slim until Christmas now. Anyone wanting a 5 bdr must have a large family with kids, so they would want to move in around the school year. School starts Monday, so, that market is gone for right now. anyone with kids is already settled. A slim chance remains for some guy who gets transferred in the middle of the school year, but even then they would time their move to coincide with the Christmas break, probably hole up in corporate housing until then.

I think the best thing to do is realize we will carry that payment until Christmas and aim for then, which will break our piggy bank. whoever thinks rental and real estate is a way to get rich is crazy, we'd be happy just to break even.

At least its close enough to keep going back to check on. This weekend I'm having my kids scrub the driveway, they did a great job with the sidewalk. Just rent a pressure washer. I will pay them something, or a new something, make it worth their while.

Also, the fridge is quite old, about 20 years old, although in great shape. Perhaps buy a new updated model? Well, why not buy a whole new house! If we put all that into it, perhaps its time to consider selling it.............

Old 08-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Default Be very careful...

In cases where folks are living in their homes if they make some upgrades prior to listing they cab at least enjoy them a bit, and some appliance can go with to new place.

When you've moved out that does apply.

Further, the WOW factor is very much LOST once you've already listed -- agents and other shoppers simply won't come back just to revisit.

It might make sense to paint, I bet you can find a hungry crew that will cut you deal because it is vacant. Not havingnto move/ work aroun furniture means they'll go much faster and make money in easy day....

Use the money to CUT your asking price...

Old 08-22-2010, 02:15 AM

I tend to agree the opportunity to Wow area agents is pretty much lost. We did a lot before even allowing agents to preview it, including new paint (in bedrooms and bath, not living areas), new carpet, new ceramic tile floor, deep cleaning, new blinds, so it does show as clean. However , it also showed as vacant, and bare.

We went today and bought about $60 worth of accessories at Goodwill, I was quite impressed with waht I got for my money. Two bathroom accessory sets (the tissue holder, cup and toothbrush holder), three nice silk plants, a pitcher, with matching salt & pepper on a pretty tray, 4 of those bottles of pickled vegetables, those things everyone displays but never opens, a mantle accessory "package" of burgandy mirror frame, along with two burgandy & white vases, all brand new. also got a nice, vintage-looking copper tea pot on a trivet stand, makes a focal point in the kitchen.

Went to Walmart, got some nice towels, a bath rug, didn't overdo it, just one nice towel set per bathroom, also, got a nice, colorful shower curtain. Nothing is so expensive anyone would run off with it, and it does give the place a more homey feel. We also installed vanilla scented air freshners, those fan things, set at lowest setting, not to overpower one, just a subtle hint.

The floor in the utility room is badly stained, we didn't notice it until the last minute when they removed the washer/dryer. The floor is in good condition, just stained. We put a pretty run down,along with a nice wicker basket with a pretty lining, and some clear plastic bins on the shelves in bright purple, orange, and green. The creepiest room in the house now is inviting, for about $40 (we already had the wicker basket).

Also, I found the foot traffic in and out has left the floor dirty. we vacumned and mopped the floor, but can't always get over there. We have a cleaning service, for $35 she does floors, counters, etc, worth for 2x week while its being shown.

Our neighbor just rented his place, which was vacant, after he staged it with rental furniture. We're not sure if we want to go quite that far, but let's see what a few decorator items do.

For anyone wanting to decorate, I'd head to the nearest thrift store first. its amazing the nice stuff you find for a fraction of the price. Gone are the days when shopping in thrift stores has a stigma, quite the opposite. Its now thrifty, frugal, "green" and politically correct.

If I was going to go all out and furnish the place, I'd have a professional company do so. They can coordinate it, and have the time and trucks, etc. It took us all day just to do that little bit.

Well, lets see if this helps, can't hurt!

Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 PM

Default Sounds good!

Thift store finds are a excellent option. I think you will feel better about the place at minimal cost and maybe a tenant or buyer will soon be taking even more of a burden off you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I tend to agree the opportunity to Wow area agents is pretty much lost. We did a lot before even allowing agents to preview it, including new paint (in bedrooms and bath, not living areas), new carpet, new ceramic tile floor, deep cleaning, new blinds, so it does show Nd as clean. However , it also showed as vacant, and bare.

We went today and bought about $60 worth of accessories at Goodwill, I was quite impressed with waht I got for my money. Two bathroom accessory sets (the tissue holder, cup and toothbrush holder), three nice silk plants, a pitcher, with matching salt & pepper on a pretty tray, 4 of those bottles of pickled vegetables, those things everyone displays but never opens, a mantle accessory "package" of burgandy mirror frame, along with two burgandy & white vases, all brand new. also got a nice, vintage-looking copper tea pot on a trivet stand, makes a focal point in the kitchen.

Went to Walmart, got some nice towels, a bath rug, didn't overdo it, just one nice towel set per bathroom, also, got a nice, colorful shower curtain. Nothing is so expensive anyone would run off with it, and it does give the place a more homey feel. We also installed vanilla scented air freshners, those fan things, set at lowest setting, not to overpower one, just a subtle hint.

The floor in the utility room is badly stained, we didn't notice it until the last minute when they removed the washer/dryer. The floor is in good condition, just stained. We put a pretty run down,along with a nice wicker basket with a pretty lining, and some clear plastic bins on the shelves in bright purple, orange, and green. The creepiest room in the house now is inviting, for about $40 (we already had the wicker basket).

Also, I found the foot traffic in and out has left the floor dirty. we vacumned and mopped the floor, but can't always get over there. We have a cleaning service, for $35 she does floors, counters, etc, worth for 2x week while its being shown.

Our neighbor just rented his place, which was vacant, after he staged it with rental furniture. We're not sure if we want to go quite that far, but let's see what a few decorator items do.

For anyone wanting to decorate, I'd head to the nearest thrift store first. its amazing the nice stuff you find for a fraction of the price. Gone are the days when shopping in thrift stores has a stigma, quite the opposite. Its now thrifty, frugal, "green" and politically correct.

If I was going to go all out and furnish the place, I'd have a professional company do so. They can coordinate it, and have the time and trucks, etc. It took us all day just to do that little bit.

Well, lets see if this helps, can't hurt!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting