Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:27 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times

Advertisements

Do people really not have a clue as to how they can place furniture in an empty room???

HGTV has really brainwashed people into thinking that an apartment or home must be staged......

Does it really have to be spelled out that a couch can go here and a TV can go there......
If it is a bedroom, the bed goes here, the dresser goes there....it really isn't that hard to imagine....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Do people really not have a clue as to how they can place furniture in an empty room???

HGTV has really brainwashed people into thinking that an apartment or home must be staged......

Does it really have to be spelled out that a couch can go here and a TV can go there......
If it is a bedroom, the bed goes here, the dresser goes there....it really isn't that hard to imagine....

Oh, I do agree!

What difference does it make how the current owners have staged their home, doesn't the buyer have enough brains to realize their stuff goes with them?

We get all sorts of ridiculous advice from real estate agents. Its best if the home is lived in, it looks "homey". Buyers need to be able to "feel" themselves in the home. with what, our stuff? Personally, I prefer seeing a home empty, that way I know what I'm getting, if there's some defect covered up with a strategically placed rug or picture.

Then agents tell us that a home need to look "homey" then to get rid of anything too "personal" like family pictures, etc. what do they suggest I do, hide my own children's pictures? No religious symbols, either. well, frankly, I would think it a tad weird if I looked at some home and happened to find a cross hidden under the bed, and their children's pictures stashed in the laundry. I'd worry about that place more than if I just saw their stuff displayed like any normal person would.

Then all this stuff about scents. Have an inviting smell, like something cooking, baked cookies in the oven, etc. We took that advice once, stocked up on Pilsbury cookie dough, every time there was a showing we'd quick make a batch of cookies, so there would be an "inviting aroma' then a plate of fresh cookies and lemonade, to make the buyers feel at home, yadda yadda........I gained 10 pounds that month and still didn't sell the place! Hey, when it comes to odors, we're lucky if ds remembers to flush before the buyers come to look!

But although I think staging is a crock, I think it helps to do a little. Our home is currently completely empty, the master bath looks like the bathroom in some sort of insane asylum. it creeped me out! A few simple things made it human again, just a shower curtain, a nice towel set, a pretty floral arrangement, and an air freshner, hidden in a cabinet, not to overpower, just a slight hint. Well, we've had more visits, but still no offers, so apparently that wasn't the ticket, either, unless people are now coming to breathe my vanilla air freshner!

Also, the laundry room floor is stained, we didn't notice until the last minute when they took out the w/d. Well, replacing the flooring would be an expense, so, instead, I placed a neutral beige rug on the floor to cover up the stains, then put some brightly colored bins on the shelves, to draw your eyes up and away from the floor. clever, no? Since we're just renting it, who cares the floor under the w/d is less than perfect once they move in? So, staging can be important, dependng on what your goals are, if to draw the eye away from defects and highlight the positive, the ok, but not just to draw a pciture for the feeble minded---see, a bed goes here, a couch here, etc. Now, your signature goes here, your money goes here............

Old 08-25-2010, 04:01 PM

I just saw a show about house hunters in europe. apparently, in italy, they take the kitchen with them. They actually take the cabinets, sink, the whole 9 yards. They just leave the floor and walls. I guess the new buyers either build or buy their own. Perpahs that stuff is standard size!

Well, seems the Italians can figure it out---a sink goes here, a cabinet goes there........

Old 08-26-2010, 01:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I just saw a show about house hunters in europe. apparently, in italy, they take the kitchen with them. They actually take the cabinets, sink, the whole 9 yards. They just leave the floor and walls. I guess the new buyers either build or buy their own. Perpahs that stuff is standard size!

Well, seems the Italians can figure it out---a sink goes here, a cabinet goes there........
I love some of the small modular kitchen designs. Maybe for my next house:

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/p...eeds-59118.jpg

Back to the topic of staging: Just wanted to say I'm one of those people who is ~not~ fooled by a few knick-knacks here and there . And when I smell air-freshener I think the seller is trying to hide something.

My .02

Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I love some of the small modular kitchen designs. Maybe for my next house:

http://img.archiexpo.com/images_ae/p...eeds-59118.jpg

Back to the topic of staging: Just wanted to say I'm one of those people who is ~not~ fooled by a few knick-knacks here and there . And when I smell air-freshener I think the seller is trying to hide something.

My .02

Good luck whatever you decide.
A very sublte air freshner could be helpful, like another poster suggested, place it inside a cabinet or drawer, just enough to be a hint. Otherwise, when a person walks into an empty house there's a stale odor. but other than that, I agree, overt air freshners do more harm than good, expecially febreeze, I HATE that! Its in everything, and smells like you're trying to cover up something. What I do like is the smell of fresh paint and freshly sawed wood, it smells like new home (like that new car smell). I don't know how to duplicate that, wish they would come up with an air freshner with that smell!

Old 08-27-2010, 06:45 AM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Just keep a few windows open a bit, that should make the house feel fresh. Some air fresheners are just plain nasty though.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Just keep a few windows open a bit, that should make the house feel fresh. Some air fresheners are just plain nasty though.

I really would hesitate to do that, for security. We couldn't keep our alaram armed. Also, possible water damage in case of rain. we live 100 miles away.

I try to make it there 1x week, and open up the windows then, turn on fans, in general give it a feel that someone has been there.

You can just tell if a house hasn't been inhabited for awhile, there's an "empty" feel to it, even if furnished. Also, its is necessary to run the water at least 1x week, and flush toilets, or the water canevaporate, p, causing nasty smells,and a water ring. Then when people turn it on the first water to come out looks brown. They think there's something wrong with the plumbing.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,093 times
We are going through a similar situation as we are currently living in an apartment in the school district we want for our oldest but still on a fully furnished home that we need to sell. We begged borrowed and pleaded for people who have furniture in store to let us use it in "staged home". That wat now harm will come to it, they save money not having to pay storage & we used our best furniture for staging, nownat apartment we're in for 1 year for teen to finish school we have a great "early attic", almost dorm room look but thenkids love it! I have used Craigs List carefully the best hasnbeen just asking people if thenhave extra furniturenthatbthey are storing right now! It's be wonderful! My current problem is kids to bed mattress with the to apartment, though we got junky head boardsnto a paint and theynare so excited because we Tolstoy them the year we're here they can do as they please within taste, no Hooter postersbon the wall. Our house for sale is getting to look pretty good and they teens are enjoying them selves, within reason! It's amazing what people will loan or share for a few dollars when when they know no one will live there! My problem is beds!! My teens have there's at apartment, leaving 2 twins beds àt selling house with no twin beds ( one box spring). Besides then blow up beds does anyone havebanway to fake a bed just fornshow, have beautiful bed clothes but no way 2 make 2 "fake" twin size beds. We've thought of blow up beds but what if realtor shows up & their drooping. We've never have look with those before. Been trying to think of college tricks and have just drawn a blank! Any ideas would be welcomed no matter how silly they seem! Can't pay for two homes on one paycheck and buy new mattressesnas well! Help would be so appreciated!

Old 08-24-2011, 12:43 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,377,103 times
Air fresheners are a definite NO in my book! Nothing is less inviting than a house that has any smell at all.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:35 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,946,114 times
I stage everything from million dollar homes to $350 apartments. Staging for rental is different from staging for sale.

You can pick up furniture for free on CL in most cities (if you are quick). Staging is a matter of providing people with an idea as to how to use rooms. You want to enhance the attributes and minimize the negatives. With rentals you don't want to have the furniture so fancy they feel like they aren't "good enough" to live there. With sales buyers often want the furniture too so you go high end new.

KEEP old flat screen computer monitors and TV's as well as dead laptops. They make great staging props. Also old cameras and sailboat models. I have a red glass bowl that people like - $4 Ikea.

In apartments that rent quick I sometimes leave it as simple as putting some bright red towels on the bath racks. Less desirable units I stage more. I like RED as it provides some pizazz in an otherwise drab unit.

I also use the Vanilla stick scent bottles - about $5 for 3 at Wal-Mart. Last about a month, make it smell nice.

Paint in an off-white , eggshell with white trim to offset the walls.

I have a couple of leaning mirrors. I also sometimes hang a wall mirror in the living room.

Use chrome TP rollers in the bathrooms. In a drab bath a FABRIC shower curtain can warm it up.

For a 3 bedroom:
Master - QUEEN SIZE bed and night stands with lamps (get a free mattress - check for bed bugs) make a base and headboard or get a free one and stain it black or whatever. Add leaning mirror in the corner. Nothing else. Maybe a chair in a corner if it's a big room. If you can angle the bed in a corner - it's more Feng Shui.

Save your old bed pillows that you were going to throw out - if they still puff up. Tan sheets and neutral spread. 200 count - cheap ones, you aren't going to sleep on them and the stiffer they are the better they look.

ALSO YOU ONLY NEED ONE SHEET - tuck the top in, then fold it 1/2 way down and use the other end to fold over the comforter. You are STAGING, not sleeping there!

2nd bedroom, kids bed or bunk bed with trunk or small writing desk. Fun bed spread - but not gender specific. I like red white and blue colors. Don't crowd the room, 1 bed, 1 chair, 1 desk. Add an old laptop for accent on the desk. Add a couple of stuffed animals, SMALL ones.

3rd bedroom - desk and chair, I use either a classic iMac for conversation or another laptop. Sometimes a bookshelf or side table with some books.

Living: We are starting to mount flat screens on the walls - THAT is the "wow!" factor that will rent a place. You can even rent or sell them the TV. (Buy used on CL.) One sofa, coffee table, end table with lamp. A couple of "Dream Homes" magazines.

Dining table and 2-4 chairs depending on space. Some kind of center piece. No place settings.

Kitchen clean, only rental papers on counter.

If there is a place for them (patio, entry) I like to include one or more water features. I have several fountains that I can move around.

That's it. NO plants.

Just enough to give a feeling of how they can utilize the space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting