Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 04:07 PM

94 posts, read 186,151 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am new to this forum, but not City Data.
Wife & I are retirees (still healthy) who are looking for milder winters in a dry environment. Reno appeals due to daughter lives 4 hrs away in Arcata, Cal.

Looking for maintenance free, 2000 sq ft or less 3 br home in quiet neighborhood, but not real far from all the conveniences.

I am looking for suggestions in what area to look in. We have driven thru Reno only and plan on spending some time (maybe a year) visiting different places to decide where to live.

Also we are trying to keep it under $300,000

Thanks in advance

Old 08-10-2010, 04:30 PM

197 posts, read 550,209 times
We get a lot of Snow if that is something you want to shovel during your golden yrs...then move here...Reno gets the least amount of snow but, you will still have to deal with it.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:14 PM

36 posts, read 80,058 times
Pgans,

Reading this: "Looking for maintenance free, 2000 sq ft or less 3 br home in quiet neighborhood, but not real far from all the conveniences."

My immediate thought was Spanish Springs, Sparks. Because:

1. With what you are looking for (2,000 SQ.FT, 3 Bedroom, Quiet neighborhood, But not far from conveniences,) Spanish Springs lives up to ALL these things.

And you can probably get a very nice home (w/ RV parking, good sized lot) for less than your budget of $300,000. This place is far from the hustle and bustle, but recent developments like LEGENDS, Pyramid Commercial Center (near Mccarran and Pyramid, where Walmart is) gives you the nearby convenience.

2. *gasp* Downtown Reno. Before you dismiss this. I also thought the "quiet" part of Downtown Reno--near Idlewild Park, Reno High or around the California Ave (near Kinko's) area. It's a mature neighborhood with trees that give a nice shade-- It's a lot like being on the "shadows" of Downtown. I think it's worth a look. Homes will be older, as well. Not usually a good thing, but some people do like their homes having older built and design.

3. South Reno: Could be a mixture of both of the above. There are areas which are newer (South Meadows, Damonte Ranch) and older ( Hidden Springs, Old South West near Plumb Ln.).

Hope it helps..

Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 PM

55 posts, read 182,434 times
nevada49: I am looking at several areas for retirement and really love the Fernley/Reno area but looking at houses on trulia.com they are all so big. I am single, live alone, and would only occasionally have a guest. So, a 2-bedroom, bath and a half place with a garage would be perfect for me. I want to live in a development with a pool and clubhouse, not too far from stores, etc. Any suggestions? I will be coming out to look next spring but would like to have a place to start from. Thanks in advance!! A soon-to-be retiree.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM

42 posts, read 119,521 times
Default Why don't you look in Minden, NV?

There is exactly the house you are looking for on County Road in Old Town Minden 1900+ sq ft 3BR 2 Bath brick home priced under 300K. It is listed with C21 Clark properties. The agent is Lance Modispacher. Only one hour south Hwy 395 from Reno and 25 min from Carson City.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 PM

83 posts, read 212,557 times
Stead has houses for 80-90k. Only few years old too

Old 11-26-2010, 08:47 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,950,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
There is exactly the house you are looking for on County Road in Old Town Minden
OP & nevada49 - That's a busy street. It's not a busy as US395 through town, but it's still very busy. There are some businesses on it and it leads towards the high school and County pool. It's nothing like living on a residential street off of County Road.

Otherwise, Minden is a nice little town if you're considering Northern Nevada. It's quiet and it doesn't have the problems associated with Carson City or other areas in the greater Reno area.

The problem for some is that it might be too quiet. Retired doesn't have to mean dead, and for some the greater Douglas County area might be leaning a little far to the dead side of quiet. It's all a matter of perspective, expectations and desire.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:08 PM

197 posts, read 550,209 times
Garth what do you mean by Minden doesn't have the same problems associated with Carson City???? If your talking drugs crime etc call the Sheriff they are the same no different.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:26 AM

649 posts, read 1,771,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS36BH View Post
We get a lot of Snow if that is something you want to shovel during your golden yrs...then move here...Reno gets the least amount of snow but, you will still have to deal with it.
you say reno gets alot of snow but city data has it at only a few inches per month and for just a few winter months??? i'm in spokane wa and thinking of moving to reno because i thought it gets lots less snow then spokane...........so how much snow does reno get in the winter???

Old 11-27-2010, 12:30 AM

649 posts, read 1,771,580 times
re: snow;;;;;; ok city data has reno at around 5-6 inches per month of snow for about 3 months; spokane ist almost 2 feet of snow per month and growing each year it seems. so reno should be lots easier in the winter then spokane,,,,,,,, but does the wind blow a lot in reno????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area