Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 PM

740 posts, read 2,017,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pladecalvo View Post
........no religious people to argue with because they are all in church. Oh well! At least I've got the Spanish Motorcyle GP to watch to keep me entertained. Roll on Monday!! First race just starting so I'm outta here!
Plad,

What if you had a large family that loved you for who you are, and you could spend time with them every Sunday. Would you? That is what my church is to me. A large family who will love me when I fall, hold me when I hurt, and help me (and my family) when I am sick. I spent years without a family when I moved away from home. I wish that I would have known about this extended family then. It is hard being lonely.

ibc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 PM

954 posts, read 815,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Plad,

What if you had a large family that loved you for who you are, and you could spend time with them every Sunday. Would you? That is what my church is to me. A large family who will love me when I fall, hold me when I hurt, and help me (and my family) when I am sick. I spent years without a family when I moved away from home. I wish that I would have known about this extended family then. It is hard being lonely.

ibc
......but I do have someone who loves me when I fall, holds me when I hurt and helps me when I'm sick. That person is me! Seriously, I understand what you're saying. I've not had a family since I left home in 1968 and I suppose I've lived a pretty solitary existence since then but it's not something that worries me...or ever has done. Yes, it is hard being lonely and as someone who has spend 43 years living in a different hotel room every night, I can tell you that there were times when I felt like bursting into tears because there was no one to talk to or share things with but I've always had the strength within me to carry on without resorting to having conversations with 'gods'. The fact that you have a "family" at your church is good for you but I've learned to be independant and I think it has made me a stronger person. Besides, think of the benefits of having no family...........you don't have to buy any Christmas pesents for anyone!!

Old 06-10-2007, 01:59 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,193,809 times
Quote:
Why do my rep points go down instead of up?? Wierd!!!
You seem nice enough!! I think that you have to be REALLY AGREEING ALL THE TIME!!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
......but I do have someone who loves me when I fall, holds me when I hurt and helps me when I'm sick. That person is me! Seriously, I understand what you're saying. I've not had a family since I left home in 1968 and I suppose I've lived a pretty solitary existence since then but it's not something that worries me...or ever has done. Yes, it is hard being lonely and as someone who has spend 43 years living in a different hotel room every night, I can tell you that there were times when I felt like bursting into tears because there was no one to talk to or share things with but I've always had the strength within me to carry on without resorting to having conversations with 'gods'. The fact that you have a "family" at your church is good for you but I've learned to be independant and I think it has made me a stronger person. Besides, think of the benefits of having no family...........you don't have to buy any Christmas pesents for anyone!!

I am sorry that you have no one. I can't even imagine not haveing anyone to share with. My husband travels in his job. He says that it is VERY lonely. Have you ever tried church? Have you ever tried talking to God? Just curious..

Old 06-10-2007, 02:27 PM

[quote=ibcwife;862166]
Quote:
Have you ever tried church? Have you ever tried talking to God? Just curious..
Are you kidding me here?? If you met me, you'd say that Richard Dawkins was a Christian!

Old 06-10-2007, 02:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,112,362 times
We'll be your family, plad. I mean look at it this way. We're totally dysfunctional and no two people can agree on the same thing at any given time. We argue continuously and yet we equally often seek one another out. At any given time zone there's at least one freak spouting off semi-drunkenly at 2AM. We put each other on "ignore" and then are ratted out by suddenly answering the people we were supposedly ignoring. Then in the middle of it all, somebody tells a joke and we all start laughing. This forum is ABSOLUTELY a normal family! And also just like any normal typical family, now that you've found us, even if you try to escape we'll probably all just keep following you around. See? You do have a family after all.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:31 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,429,775 times
Quote:
........no religious people to argue with because they are all in church. Oh well! At least I've got the Spanish Motorcyle GP to watch to keep me entertained. Roll on Monday!! First race just starting so I'm outta here!
We're not all in church. And I'd pretty much guess that Christians aren't in church ALL day Sunday.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:33 PM

[quote=pladecalvo;862229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcwife View Post
Are you kidding me here?? If you met me, you'd say that Richard Dawkins was a Christian!
That really wasn't my question Plad.... Have you ever tried church? Have you ever tried talking to God? Just curious..

Old 06-10-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
We'll be your family, plad. I mean look at it this way. We're totally dysfunctional and no two people can agree on the same thing at any given time. We argue continuously and yet we equally often seek one another out. At any given time zone there's at least one freak spouting off semi-drunkenly at 2AM. We put each other on "ignore" and then are ratted out by suddenly answering the people we were supposedly ignoring. Then in the middle of it all, somebody tells a joke and we all start laughing. This forum is ABSOLUTELY a normal family! And also just like any normal typical family, now that you've found us, even if you try to escape we'll probably all just keep following you around. See? You do have a family after all.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:37 PM

[quote=ibcwife;862265]
Quote:

Is Richard Dawkins a Christian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality