Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 06:13 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,166,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper View Post
You mean to tell me that the Alps (which are upside down(!) according to the so-called geologic column) slid over 500 miles because of plate tectonics? On which planet? Not planet earth.

The Alps: upside down!
The geologic layers in the Alps are complex. There are areas of folding where the layers are actually inverted (i.e., upside down). There is no doubt of this because of the numerous places where erosion has revealed the entire fold in stark relief, including the fold itself.

This happened when the African continent pushed up against the European continent. The pressure caused the layers to fault vertically. The layers on the African side of the fault slipped upward along the fault line, and once high enough were pushed horizontally along top of the layers on the other side of the fault.

Anyone who studied geology at a (legitimate) university would know this.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,783,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Then simply go away and don't bother those of us who are thinkers and not believers.

Unless, of course, you'd like to entertain us with your answer to how Noah fit 20 million breeding pairs of creatures on his boat.
Evolution. There simply wasn't that many different species at that time in history. They evolved afterwards--natural selection.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:53 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,134,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwhisper;12684007[B
You mean to tell me that the Alps (which are upside down(!) according to the so-called geologic column) slid over 500 miles because of plate tectonics? On which planet? Not planet earth. [/b]

But again, I challenge you to give us the name of an observer that such a thing every happened....AND that such things sometimes happen without shearing.

The Alps: upside down!
Yes, that's exactly what happened. Do the math. The Indonesian earthquake of 2004 resulted in the Eurasian and Australian plates slipping by each other by 18 meters. Even if this happens only once in a hundred years (and evidence exists that suggests it happens much more frequently than that), that means the plates travel more than 1800 kilometers in a million years.

So yes, the Alps can move 500 miles. In fact, every geological feature on this planet has moved tens of thousands of miles in history.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,166,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Evolution. There simply wasn't that many different species at that time in history. They evolved afterwards--natural selection.
You don't seriously believe that all the species we have on earth today evolved and diversified over the past 4000 years from a few specimens saved from a global flood in a 400' boat some 900 year old fart supposedly built in the middle east because his god (who allegedly created the universe in a day) couldn't come up with a better idea?

Seriously?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,668,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

I realize there'd be no way to know because the Bible doesn't say, but at a wild guess, if there were not 20 million pairs of animals (40 million individual animals), how many pairs do you think it would take to evolve into what there is today? 10 million pairs? 5 million?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:41 PM

218 posts, read 398,519 times
Default Fairy tale land movements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
The geologic layers in the Alps are complex. There are areas of folding where the layers are actually inverted (i.e., upside down). There is no doubt of this because of the numerous places where erosion has revealed the entire fold in stark relief, including the fold itself.

Don't give that no doubt business. There is not only doubt there is glaring logical objections to your thesis.

This happened when the African continent pushed up against the European continent. Certainly no one in the written history of mankind has ever seen the African coast touch Europe...at any point.

WHERE is your observer for this? Name him....

The pressure caused the layers to fault vertically. The layers on the African side of the fault slipped upward along the fault line, and once high enough were pushed horizontally along top of the layers on the other side of the fault.

Anyone who studied geology at a (legitimate) university would know this.

Hmm, Indiana State University is not a legitimate school? The difference however, between me and most other students who were taught evolution is that I used my critical thinking skills and I saw through what secular teachers were pushing. It just doesn't work. One would have to live in a different dimension to believe that could happen.
You didn't answer the challenge and it is clear that you can't. No one has ever observed a continent slide over another continent nor even a very large land mass slide over other land masses for hundreds of miles...except perhaps Noah.

My case for this is very strong and I rest that case.

Lastly, entire forests like the one in Wyoming are buried in layer after layer of strata...the bark missing off the trees and there are no roots.

So all those trees stood for millions of years only to be slowly covered in sediment inch by inch and they did not deteriorate in all that time?

Who are you trying to fool?

Bye.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:43 PM

Default Fairy tale land movements

Sorry. Double post.

Last edited by Kirkwhisper; 01-30-2010 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM

Default Its a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
You don't seriously believe that all the species we have on earth today evolved and diversified over the past 4000 years from a few specimens saved from a global flood in a 400' boat some 900 year old fart supposedly built in the middle east because his god (who allegedly created the universe in a day) couldn't come up with a better idea?

Seriously?
Seriously. If you read Genesis (instead of the skeptical journal clap trap) you would know that most organisms on board the ark came in sevens.

Yes, seriously.

Now let me turn that around on you as I finish my arguments here: Do you seriously believe that all creatures on earth came from a single-celled organism? Are you aware that there are NO two-celled, three-celled, four-celled, five-celled, organisms in the world and that all six to twenty celled organisms are parasites?

How do you get the 'evolution of the species' from that?

What an enormous lie! What a monstrous joke!

All living things are genetically exactly what God said they are in scripture: after its kind. There really isn't anything that anyone can do about it.

End of line.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Yes, that's exactly what happened. Do the math. The Indonesian earthquake of 2004 resulted in the Eurasian and Australian plates slipping by each other by 18 meters. Even if this happens only once in a hundred years (and evidence exists that suggests it happens much more frequently than that), that means the plates travel more than 1800 kilometers in a million years.

So yes, the Alps can move 500 miles. In fact, every geological feature on this planet has moved tens of thousands of miles in history.
So yes, the Alps can move 500 miles.

Your observer for this phenomena? Remember for anything to be truly scientific requires empirical investigation...but neither you nor any of your comrades in accidentalism have given me a name for the observation of such things.

If you wish to believe that fairy tale, be my guest.

So all those polystrate fossil trees stood straight for millions of yrs waiting to be covered over inch by inch with sediment. Right!

Bye.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:59 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,309,830 times
Steven Colbert did an interview with Jesuit Priest Father Guy Consolmagno whom is the curator of meteorites at the Vatican Observatory (yes it's true). Anyway, Colbert asked him the Vatican's viewpoint on how they treated Galileo now that the church is doing, what they prosecuted Galileo over. It's worth watching; educates and enlightens (aired Dec.1,2009).

The cartoon was funny and reminded me of the Father's interview with Colbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality