Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:23 AM

430 posts, read 584,309 times

Advertisements

Somebody pointed out that just two of anything won't cut it, but that you'd need about 50 pairs of most species to ensure their later survival. That also assumed they were being let off in an environment they could tolerate. Imagine 50 pairs of Military Macaws being let off at the top of a snowy mountain, with nothing to eat.

http://www.whozoo.org/Intro2000/meli...Z010801b49.JPG

How likely is that?

Or, alternately, where are the frozen corpses of these parrots, along with the massive pile of all the other millions of types of tropical animals, all dead in a heap in and near the supposed Ark? After all, we're told they've found grain and honey up there, so why not some well preserved animal carcasses? Especially since we do find them so often up in Alaska, frozen in time amongst the old jungle vegetation from pre-Ice Age up there. You know, the Ice Ages that "didn't happen!"

Apparently, in contradiction to life's ongoing processes, Noah also did not experience ANY organism deaths onboard his boat. Not one single animal croaked in 18 mo.!

Also, why doesn't the bible mention the absolute need to bring all the plants on board as well? Answer: the authors of this nonsense had no idea what biological necessities were in those days, so they just left all that stuff out.

I watched a show on underwater Antarctic animal life recently. In one afternoon, they discovered and documented twelve new species of tiny little animals. The estimate is that there's possibly another 50 or so million undiscovered species. What was God thinking when He designed them?

Genesis is all so spectacularly unimaginative and irrational. It's fascinating to see how the fundamentalists struggle with each new real discovery, each new realization and the relentless destruction of their cherished but flimsy and hugely incomplete fairy tale.

Honestly, why not wake up and smell the DNA people?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,648,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
After all, we're told they've found grain and honey up there, so why not some well preserved animal carcasses?
And not just your average run-of-the-mill grain and honey. If I recall correctly without having to look it up, the claim was that supposedly a team of Russian troops went into the Ark and found EDIBLE grain and honey. The amazing part is that although the Ark itself is claimed by some to be petrified, the grain and honey were said to be... edible! Huh!!?

Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Some good stuff. I have to agree that the Flood - enthusiasts show amazing ingenuity in explaining away problems, but for me, the Flood is the OT equivalent of the Nativity: dead in the water.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:42 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,837 times
Lol, I've asked before on how the insects survived. I was told that they just hopped onto leaves and floated.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:50 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
Somebody pointed out that just two of anything won't cut it, but that you'd need about 50 pairs of most species to ensure their later survival. That also assumed they were being let off in an environment they could tolerate. Imagine 50 pairs of Military Macaws being let off at the top of a snowy mountain, with nothing to eat.

http://www.whozoo.org/Intro2000/meli...Z010801b49.JPG

How likely is that?

Or, alternately, where are the frozen corpses of these parrots, along with the massive pile of all the other millions of types of tropical animals, all dead in a heap in and near the supposed Ark? After all, we're told they've found grain and honey up there, so why not some well preserved animal carcasses? Especially since we do find them so often up in Alaska, frozen in time amongst the old jungle vegetation from pre-Ice Age up there. You know, the Ice Ages that "didn't happen!"

Apparently, in contradiction to life's ongoing processes, Noah also did not experience ANY organism deaths onboard his boat. Not one single animal croaked in 18 mo.!

Also, why doesn't the bible mention the absolute need to bring all the plants on board as well? Answer: the authors of this nonsense had no idea what biological necessities were in those days, so they just left all that stuff out.

I watched a show on underwater Antarctic animal life recently. In one afternoon, they discovered and documented twelve new species of tiny little animals. The estimate is that there's possibly another 50 or so million undiscovered species. What was God thinking when He designed them?

Genesis is all so spectacularly unimaginative and irrational. It's fascinating to see how the fundamentalists struggle with each new real discovery, each new realization and the relentless destruction of their cherished but flimsy and hugely incomplete fairy tale.

Honestly, why not wake up and smell the DNA people?
Why would the creationist be content with 50 pairs? The bible specifically says that there were either 2 or 14 of each IIRC. Someone can't be much of a literalist if they ignore this.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:44 PM

218 posts, read 398,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Your "answer" is completely wrong because you've misunderstood the mechanism. You think it goes 1,2,3,4, etc.

What mechanism? Evolution doesn't exist in the first place.

My roomate is a microbiologist with a major food corporation in Minneapolis. She says multi-celled creatures can easily evolve from one-celled organisms.

They don't evolve...they grow...just like everything else. Evolution involves a change from one organism to a different kind of organism. You are falling far short of what truly provides evidence for evolution.

In a nutshell (and somewhat simplisticly), what is critical is not the number of cells, but the communication among them. Usually proteins are involved. Single-celled creatures form colonies that can communicate with each other. If there is no evolutionary advantage to having two cells, there will be no two-celled creatures. Colonies DO form and individual cells become specialized.

You are not describing the difference between mere growth and evolution in the first place.

The principles of evolutionary biology are used every day in the laboratories of companies like General Mills, Cargill, Kraft, General Food, etc... Roughly 15,000 new food products are put on the market every year utilizing what we've learned in microbiology.

Baloney. The defintion of evolutionquote) "a process of continuous change from a lower, simpler, or worse to a higher, more complex, or better state" and..." a theory that the various types of animals and plants have their origin in other preexisting types and that the distinguishable differences are due to modifications in successive generations;". Mirriam Webster.

That, my friend, is evolution theory. It involves far more than mere growth of a single organism.

But all this begs the question: HOW did evolution even get started in the first place: sexual reproduction? Asexual reproduction? What? And what multicellular organism did the first form of life evolve into? Describe it and give the genetic formula.

Furthermore, since all life requires food nutrients from other living organisms, then what did the first 'living cell' survive on since nothing else in the world was alive? Did it eat part of itself? If you can't explain these things, then you've got no case.

If you don't believe in evolution, you might want to stop believing in chocolate yogurt, because without evolution chocolate yogurt wouldn't exist.
I don't believe in evolution (any longer) and I don't like yogurt.

Best wishes.

Last edited by Kirkwhisper; 02-02-2010 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-02-2010, 05:35 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,865,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke14:11 View Post
In the first place, the bible is not a book about dinosaurs. Dinosaurs and their history is not that important to salvation. The bible is a history of people, and their relationship with God. The bible is also a message of salvation. God did not instruct the prophets to write a history of the dinosaurs. It wasn't the important thing. Also, the bible does not talk alot about cats, nevertheless they were present.
I guess this means we are supposed to stop asking those tough and inconvenient questions about dinosaurs and Noah's ark.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:52 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,406,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I guess this means we are supposed to stop asking those tough and inconvenient questions about dinosaurs and Noah's ark.

Tough questions scare christians.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
Which is why we end up with a defunct thread, the Last Theist comment being a variant on: 'I don't care what you say - I still believe it ..Bye...' and they go off to try the same arguments somewhere else.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:43 AM

218 posts, read 398,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Tough questions scare christians.
Since when? Who truthfully answered my challenges above? No one.

The believers in Darwin's fairy tale either one (a) ignore such challenges, or (b) give answers that miss the mark.

Keep pretending, friend. Judgment day awaits you.

Last edited by Kirkwhisper; 02-03-2010 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.