Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:33 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,174,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
The OP is indicitive of any person that has a driver's license. Christian or not people make mistakes, are stupid and oblivious on the road. We have all done something or many stupid things while driving. I don't think it's fair to say Christians are hypocritical because we drive like we do. Yes Christians are held to a higher standard by God and by society, but to think we're awful people because of that is just ludicrious.

I had a fish symbol on the back of my first car and did it because I thought it was cool and many of my friends had one too. Now I choose not to have one on my car for the exact reason this thread was created. I make mistakes on the road and I do get upset on the road too. So I don't want people thinking bad things about Christ or the church.

IMO people will look for any excuse to call Christians hypocritical. They'll use any excuse to say negative things about Christians. So it doesn't matter if you have a fish on the back of your car or not, or a bumper sticker like salababy mentioned; Christians are destined to be picked out of the bunch to complain about.
Wow, is this the same Hoosier guy that I remember??? I didn't mean anything and DON'T ever single out christians for any reason. I'm not anti-christian, geez my own bf is christian. I just stated an observation. I have been noticing many nasty, mean drivers (and I mean some that almost ran down people and children, and those to cut off, or are just aggressive in their driving) Each one of the those drivers this week had a CCV sticker on their car. It was just almost crazy to believe that they all had them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 06:04 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,634,254 times
Hoosier Guy wrote:
Quote:
IMO people will look for any excuse to call Christians hypocritical. They'll use any excuse to say negative things about Christians.
I actually agree with alot of what you're saying even though I made a smart remark about a particular bumper sticker myself. However, there's a ton of absolutely idiotic bumper stickers out there that represent every topic and social and political point of view you can think of so I think there's enough ridicule to go around. Once when I was on vacation I saw a van that was completely covered in bumper stickers that appeared to be some political tirade. I do agree that having a bumper sticker for a particular church is really no big deal.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,886 times
well IMO one would think that a Christian should doubly know better we not only follow God's laws but the laws of the land

Last edited by dncngrl1964; 05-20-2007 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: deletion

Old 05-20-2007, 07:17 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,724,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Wow, is this the same Hoosier guy that I remember??? I didn't mean anything and DON'T ever single out christians for any reason. I'm not anti-christian, geez my own bf is christian. I just stated an observation. I have been noticing many nasty, mean drivers (and I mean some that almost ran down people and children, and those to cut off, or are just aggressive in their driving) Each one of the those drivers this week had a CCV sticker on their car. It was just almost crazy to believe that they all had them!
SableBaby, I was not directing my comments to you in the least. We've talked in the forums numerous times and so I want to assure you that my comments were not directed at you. I've read through the thread and was responding to the general direction it was going. I have been cut off by so many people and just get tired of people who single Christians out.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:24 AM

982 posts, read 3,308,778 times
My churchy next-door neighbor wanted to put a fish symbol on her car, but she's afraid to because her husband is a crazy driver. After riding with him one time, I can understand why! There is at least one person who understands they should be walking the walk.

If it's really that bad, I think having a polite conversation with the pastor is a very good idea. He/she is someone who could give a great sermon about that, and who knows? Maybe the congregation will chill out and make an effort to do better. Driving like you have a deathwish can have a ripple effect, and I think the adage is true: some people change personalities when they get behind the wheel of a car.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:43 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,886 times
Mrs Engle your words are music to me
at least I know that I have been understood by one person who can make a difference in the lives of those around them and in turn make a difference to those around them
it's that ripple effect I was trying to convey
Have a blessed day

Old 05-21-2007, 11:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,362,368 times
Yes, it is THE biggest pet peeve of mine when someone who is a christian is mean or rude. And then when you call them on it... they reply with "I am only telling the truth"... whatever... It is called being mean and inconsiderate to the rest of the world.

Are they reading the same bible as I am? Or are they sleeping during church?

Old 05-21-2007, 12:03 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,302,233 times
Its my opinion that people in general (not just christians) use labels as a cloak to pull around themselves, to hide the faults and lack of knowledge...the lack of humanity...

The labels really are meaningless to me, I look more to that persons behavior then I do whatever they want to call themselves...

So a sticker on the car doesn't mean much to me...

Old 05-21-2007, 12:07 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,034,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Yes, it is THE biggest pet peeve of mine when someone who is a christian is mean or rude. And then when you call them on it... they reply with "I am only telling the truth"... whatever... It is called being mean and inconsiderate to the rest of the world.

Are they reading the same bible as I am? Or are they sleeping during church?
Well, that's just exactly it. Honestly, if the Christian ideal wasn't so fraught with "you SHOULD do this...or you're bad" or "you SHOULDN'T do that...or you're bad," then it wouldn't be that built-in aggressiveness and judgemental quality that would make people balk in the first place. (Rather passive-aggressive: "I'm going to tell you you're going to hell. But I'm going to say it with a gentle smile and a sympathetic look.") At the VERY LEAST, anyone who is telling someone else how they "should" be, is absolutely required to also be that way, or else risks coming off as a hypocrite. I mean that's the bottom line.

Old 05-21-2007, 12:17 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,749,470 times
A guy is on his way home from work on his lunch hour, he is running late, pressed for time and last but not least he catches every single red light in town. At the last red light he catches, he notices some teenages in a old camaro right behind him with their music up real loud, he thinks to himself just gr8!. Then the camaro behind him honks several times, all the kids in it are waving at him, so he waves back. Then they do it again, hes already stressed and thinks okay whats with the honking, but turns around anyway and gives a hateful wave. No sooner had he turned around they start honking wildly and yelling, OK now he thinks they have HAD IT!!!! so he gets out slams the door and walks back to the car. and YELLS OKAY what is you PROBLEM???? The kid driving looks at him and says, Well your bumper sticker says,"HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality