Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:41 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 23,003,931 times

Advertisements

I don't usually talk about religion or science, or religion vs. science, because it's usually the biggest argument we as a people have, and I HATE arguing. But I just wanted to get something off my chest... and give you something to think about.

Whether or not you think religion is the worst thing that ever happened to the world, it is something that is supposed to be sacred. That's why I always groan when someone on TV or in my face makes fun of it. That's someone's deepest belief, not a piece of matierial for an episode of Family Guy. There are people out there who completely reject and criticize any form of religion because they view it to be illogical and the main reason we have wars. I can tell ya this, folks:
1. ANYTHING can sound illogical. What makes you think that scientist are the ones who are completely right about everything? Can they really (and I mean REALLY) prove that the universe is billions of years old; that my ancestors were monkeys! Trust me, don't tell ANYONE in my family that they came from a monkey because you will get hit in the face. ...and...
2. Wars have started from religious belief and affiliations, but they were all started by a bunch of over "religious" people who were more concerned about looking good in front of you than actually being a GOOD representation off their beilef.

I want to say to all Christians: PLEASE DON'T force your beliefs on someone (that goes for anyone). A Christian's reason for being is to bring as many souls to Christ as possible, not beat them over the head with the Bible and drag 'em to your church (notice I said your church instead of Christ). What I'm saying about this is... everyone isn't going to be a Christian, and no matter how much you try, people are going to hate you because of the history of fundamentalists and today's "holier than thou" crowed. And alot of people wont believe you. But as it even says in the Bible, everyone will here the Gospel, but everyone wont accept what you say.
To athiests: You may not believe in God, you may think that people who are religious are just sheep, but you just can't call them fools and idiots just because they have a belief. I, personally, believe that there is more to life than what you just see in front of you, there has to be.
And most scientists can sound just as illogical as any religious person. They depend so much on what they THINK happened.
I wish we could all stop the Holy Wars here. No person walking on this earth has all the answers. No one alive today wasn't around to see the first day of time and we can't prove everything. So am I a fool just because I believe that a man was killed and rose from the dead? If I don't bark at you for not feeling the way I feel, why should you do that to me?

I'm not here to convert anyone or tell people what they believe is wrong. Just remember, the best and the worst thing that ever happened to mankind were their opinions. Stop fighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 02:50 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,327,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Stop fighting.
But JJG, fighting is what we do here! We're all about that!

No, seriously, you make some valid points.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:00 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,957,494 times
Quote:
1. ANYTHING can sound illogical. What makes you think that scientist are the ones who are completely right about everything? Can they really (and I mean REALLY) prove that the universe is billions of years old; that my ancestors were monkeys! Trust me, don't tell ANYONE in my family that they came from a monkey because you will get hit in the face. ...and...
I've never understood why human evolution from a common ancestor bothers Christians so much. I'm not offended to say that a chimpanzee and I, a homo sapien, have shared a common relative at some point in time. It seems...logical. Not offensive.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, though.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,667,592 times
You make some very valid points and I do agree about not making fun of religion but only up to a point. I'm a Christian but I don't mind hearing jokes about my religion PROVIDING that they're not meant in an offensive manner. Unless they're seriously offensive or prejudiced I will laugh along too because after all, I'm sure God has a sense of humour. There is a line of decency though and I will not tolerate it being crossed.

boycew02

Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,678,195 times
I enjoy discussing these topics and as kaykay mentioned that's what we do here. It can be done in a non hostile manner and I think we've have a few discussions that were quite good. I actually don't care if a Christian tries to convert me because I'm going to demand equal time and I can put up a pretty good argument when I put my mind to it. I just think we need to respect each other as people and acknowledge right from the start that even if we completely disagree on something, there's no reason to demean or insult each other.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 3,921,095 times
I think a debate is good as long as we respect each other as a person free to believe what we want...and when we can agree to disagree when it's time to stop.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:22 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,806,405 times
I, too, am very passionate about my beliefs and views and opinions. I know sometimes I get a bit carried away, and that's when I take a break. I chastize myself more than anyone here ever will if I think I've gone over the line. http://www.enigmamusic.com/forum/images/smilies/banghead%5B1%5D.gif (broken link)

I don't pressure anyone, but I am loud so as to be heard over the din. I feel it's important to show what I believe as truth and then support that view, without which support people think I have a blind faith in something unseen and unproven.

I know what I believe and I just want others to know what I know and why I believe it.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:16 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,262,630 times
Quote:
I don't usually talk about religion or science, or religion vs. science, because it's usually the biggest argument we as a people have, and I HATE arguing. But I just wanted to get something off my chest... and give you something to think about.

Whether or not you think religion is the worst thing that ever happened to the world, it is something that is supposed to be sacred. That's why I always groan when someone on TV or in my face makes fun of it. That's someone's deepest belief, not a piece of matierial for an episode of Family Guy. There are people out there who completely reject and criticize any form of religion because they view it to be illogical and the main reason we have wars. I can tell ya this, folks:
2. Wars have started from religious belief and affiliations, but they were all started by a bunch of over "religious" people who were more concerned about looking good in front of you than actually being a GOOD representation off their beilef.

I want to say to all Christians: PLEASE DON'T force your beliefs on someone (that goes for anyone). A Christian's reason for being is to bring as many souls to Christ as possible, not beat them over the head with the Bible and drag 'em to your church (notice I said your church instead of Christ). What I'm saying about this is... everyone isn't going to be a Christian, and no matter how much you try, people are going to hate you because of the history of fundamentalists and today's "holier than thou" crowed. And alot of people wont believe you. But as it even says in the Bible, everyone will here the Gospel, but everyone wont accept what you say.
To athiests: You may not believe in God, you may think that people who are religious are just sheep, but you just can't call them fools and idiots just because they have a belief. I, personally, believe that there is more to life than what you just see in front of you, there has to be.
And most scientists can sound just as illogical as any religious person. They depend so much on what they THINK happened.
I wish we could all stop the Holy Wars here. No person walking on this earth has all the answers. No one alive today wasn't around to see the first day of time and we can't prove everything. So am I a fool just because I believe that a man was killed and rose from the dead? If I don't bark at you for not feeling the way I feel, why should you do that to me?

I'm not here to convert anyone or tell people what they believe is wrong. Just remember, the best and the worst thing that ever happened to mankind were their opinions. Stop fighting.
I like the mesage in this, but I think that tensions and disagreements run a little deeper than that.

Tell me, and I'm not trying to sound argumentative, but why should I 'respect' someone's beliefs? Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but I certainly don't have to respect them. Do you respect that the 9/11 terrorists believed fully that they would be rewarded for their behaviour? Do you respect someone's beliefs about literature, or physics if you don't agree with them? What about the Nazi beliefs, or a psychic's belief that they can predict the future?

I have to break it to you, but you probably did evolve from an ancestor/s that are similar to apes, and I would quite happily tell your family too!

Peace.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,768,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Tell me, and I'm not trying to sound argumentative, but why should I 'respect' someone's beliefs? Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but I certainly don't have to respect them. Do you respect that the 9/11 terrorists believed fully that they would be rewarded for their behaviour? Do you respect someone's beliefs about literature, or physics if you don't agree with them? What about the Nazi beliefs, or a psychic's belief that they can predict the future?

Peace.
I agree that we don't necessarily have to respect eachother's beliefs. We merely have to tolerate them, respectfully.

This of course, does not mean we should tolerate acts of violence such as 9/11 and Nazi beliefs. I'm sure most of us would agree on that.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:58 AM

1,587 posts, read 3,921,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I like the mesage in this, but I think that tensions and disagreements run a little deeper than that.

I have to break it to you, but you probably did evolve from an ancestor/s that are similar to apes, and I would quite happily tell your family too!

Peace.
Ian what I said is that we should respect the person...not necessaily the belief that the person ascribes to. We're talking about the forum here...there doesn't seem to be any reason we cannot respect the person regardless of their beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality