Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:59 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,258,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I agree that we don't necessarily have to respect eachother's beliefs. We merely have to tolerate them, respectfully.

This of course, does not mean we should tolerate acts of violence such as 9/11 and Nazi beliefs. I'm sure most of us would agree on that.
Agreed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 06:23 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,986,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I like the mesage in this, but I think that tensions and disagreements run a little deeper than that.

Tell me, and I'm not trying to sound argumentative, but why should I 'respect' someone's beliefs? Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs but I certainly don't have to respect them. Do you respect that the 9/11 terrorists believed fully that they would be rewarded for their behaviour? Do you respect someone's beliefs about literature, or physics if you don't agree with them? What about the Nazi beliefs, or a psychic's belief that they can predict the future?

I have to break it to you, but you probably did evolve from an ancestor/s that are similar to apes, and I would quite happily tell your family too!

Peace.
Good point. I say 'respect' because alot of people have a good, and valid, reason to believe whatever they do. I don't respect, however, any belief that's centered around evil, hatred, and plain ignorace (I probably should have stated that at first). I'm an 18 year old, black Texan... you think I'm going to except it when someone walks up to my face and calls me a stupid, Bush N' Cheney suck-up, monkey? (BTW, that last part... that's the reason why I said it wouldn't be a good idea to say me and my relatives evolved. )
But you are right. Not every personal belief belongs in society. And I think those are the ones NO ONE should respect.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:42 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,488,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Good point. I say 'respect' because alot of people have a good, and valid, reason to believe whatever they do. I don't respect, however, any belief that's centered around evil, hatred, and plain ignorace (I probably should have stated that at first). I'm an 18 year old, black Texan... you think I'm going to except it when someone walks up to my face and calls me a stupid, Bush N' Cheney suck-up, monkey? (BTW, that last part... that's the reason why I said it wouldn't be a good idea to say me and my relatives evolved. )
But you are right. Not every personal belief belongs in society. And I think those are the ones NO ONE should respect.
You make some valid points JJG and although I respect a Christians right to believe what they do, and most respect my right to be an Atheist, I feel that it is more than a two-way street. If we are going to accept each other we have to accept the whole thing. You don't have to like another's beliefs to accept the fact that they are entitled to their own opinion. I guess that goes for evil, hatred, and plain ignorance as well. Unfortunately, there are people like that all over the world and there is no getting away from it. But, you have to define what evil and ignorance are. Is evil and ignorance to you an atheist? Or a muslim? Or a Jew? Are they this way because they have a religious view different than yours?

Now,to me, hatred is something else.

Hatred is really hard for me to put a finger on in terms of how it relates to religion. I think that a lot of religions practice hatred in some form or fashion. I think it'd be fair to say that Christians hate Satan. Is that acceptable? I suppose it is. But, let's step away from religion for just a second and let's take a group of bigots that no one really cares for. Let's take the KKK. I think they are a perfect example of one who practices hatred and I believe they claim to be Christians. I'm not going to argue whether or not they are Christians because I honestly don't care. Do I like the way the KKK represents itself? No. Do I think it's right for them to do the things they do/did? No, absolutely not. But, as I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we cannot censor someone in this country for their beliefs. I can accept the fact that the KKK believes what they do but I don't have to like it.

Likewise, the same is true for groups like the Black Panthers. Once again you don't have to agree with their beliefs or even respect them. But I think that we must respect their freedom to practice what they believe. Kind of a fine line, don't you think?

Old 07-30-2007, 07:08 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,986,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
You make some valid points JJG and although I respect a Christians right to believe what they do, and most respect my right to be an Atheist, I feel that it is more than a two-way street. If we are going to accept each other we have to accept the whole thing. You don't have to like another's beliefs to accept the fact that they are entitled to their own opinion. I guess that goes for evil, hatred, and plain ignorance as well. Unfortunately, there are people like that all over the world and there is no getting away from it. But, you have to define what evil and ignorance are. Is evil and ignorance to you an atheist? Or a muslim? Or a Jew? Are they this way because they have a religious view different than yours?

Now,to me, hatred is something else.

Hatred is really hard for me to put a finger on in terms of how it relates to religion. I think that a lot of religions practice hatred in some form or fashion. I think it'd be fair to say that Christians hate Satan. Is that acceptable? I suppose it is. But, let's step away from religion for just a second and let's take a group of bigots that no one really cares for. Let's take the KKK. I think they are a perfect example of one who practices hatred and I believe they claim to be Christians. I'm not going to argue whether or not they are Christians because I honestly don't care. Do I like the way the KKK represents itself? No. Do I think it's right for them to do the things they do/did? No, absolutely not. But, as I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and we cannot censor someone in this country for their beliefs. I can accept the fact that the KKK believes what they do but I don't have to like it.

Likewise, the same is true for groups like the Black Panthers. Once again you don't have to agree with their beliefs or even respect them. But I think that we must respect their freedom to practice what they believe. Kind of a fine line, don't you think?
Accepting something, to alot of people, is very hard to do. It's hard for me to accept the fact that this country does more overseas than it does for the people here, but I have to. I don't like it, I HATE it, but it's just something I and alot of people have to deal with.
Those hate groups who hide behind the cross are just plain idiots. They say they want to kill everyone who doesn't look like them, yet they hold the Bible in their arms. The only reason why they do that is because they ignore certain parts of the Bible to fit their own personal beliefs. Sad, ain't it? But as long as you live HERE, your going to have to live and let live... even if it means you have to stomach a bunch of coneheads talk about their rights and that it's "their country" and that Mexicans "Durk ar derbs" (took our jobs/thank you South Park).
As for hating hatred.... it's kind of hard for me to explain, and I want to say it's a double standard... I don't know if it is or isn't, but I would say that it's right for us to hate the things that destroy society or threaten humanity. I guess that's the best way to put it.... even though some people have different thoughts on what destroys society.

It's all just comes back to your point of view, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality