Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 06:59 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,243,673 times

Advertisements

Oh but the government does anyway by telling them where they can NOT worship or pray...like schools. Liz

Old 05-22-2007, 08:03 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,698,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Oh but the government does anyway by telling them where they can NOT worship or pray...like schools. Liz
Christians can pray all they want in schools.

Students can even lead prayer groups...as long as it's not disrupting to learning (you can't break out in loud prayer during social studies) or when teachers/admin lead the group or force attendance.

They also can not punish those that refuse to take part.

Now, how does making Christians play by the same rules as every other group mean they are forbiding from anything?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:07 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,223,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post

Students can even lead prayer groups...as long as it's not disrupting to learning (you can't break out in loud prayer during social studies) or when teachers/admin lead the group or force attendance.

Now, how does making Christians play by the same rules as every other group mean they are forbiding from anything?
wow what school does your kid go to I live in the Bible belt and they can't pray in school

Old 05-22-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
IF the Christian in question happens to be a teacher, principal, or other school official and is there with the students praying, it could be construed as officially sanctioned by the school which is not allowed. Therefore their personal beliefs are held hostage to the law. Liz

Old 05-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
wow what school does your kid go to I live in the Bible belt and they can't pray in school
I really, really doubt that. You mean if they say a prayer before their meal they are given dentention? They can't say a quick prayer before a math test?

I really, really, really do doubt that.

Or do you really mean they aren't allowed to preach and abuse their classmates in the name of Christianity?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
IF the Christian in question happens to be a teacher, principal, or other school official and is there with the students praying, it could be construed as officially sanctioned by the school which is not allowed. Therefore their personal beliefs are held hostage to the law. Liz
A teacher can pray before their meal just as much as anyone else. They can't preach to students...no. But that that isn't quite the same is it?

And anyway....since when is there such a shortage of churches that they can't get their fellowship in other places?

Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM

But they can not even pray WITH students.

And some people like to pray at all times, not just in a church.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20 (King James Version)

Liz

Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,466,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post

I taught in two public high schools, and students were not allowed to pray in school. The only exception I saw was the meet at the pole (or flag?) day.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
But they can not even pray WITH students.

And some people like to pray at all times, not just in a church.

For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. Matthew 18:20 (King James Version)

Liz
They are teachers, not preachers. Why would they be praying WITH students? Some teacher, of any faith, tried to pull that with my child I'd be down at the office making sure it doesn't happen again.

If they want to pray all the time, they need to stick to a religious school or church and not have a job that requires more then prayer.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
I taught in two public high schools, and students were not allowed to pray in school. The only exception I saw was the meet at the pole (or flag?) day.
How is that not praying in school? You mean they physically prevented you from bowing your head over lunch? They had some machine that let them know about that prayer in math class?

Or do you mean that students weren't allowed to be disruptive, rude or intimidating about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality