Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 03:36 PM

3,300 posts, read 9,193,012 times

Advertisements

Actually, we do not know just how long a day is to God.
Quote:
14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to separate the day from the night; and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light upon the earth." And it was so. 16 And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also. 17 And God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light upon the earth, 18 to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening and there was morning, a fourth day
God's day may not be our literal day (24 hours).

State v. Scopes: Trial Excerpts
(http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/scopes/day7.htm - broken link)
Quote:
Q--Where she came from you do not know. All right. Does the statement, "The morning and the evening were the first day," and "The morning and the evening were the second day," mean anything to you?
A-- I do not think it necessarily means a twenty-four-hour day.
Q--You do not?
A--No.
Q--What do you consider it to be?
A--I have not attempted to explain it. If you will take the second chapter--let me have the book. (Examining Bible.) The fourth verse of the second chapter says: "These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth, when they were created in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens," the word "day" there in the very next chapter is used to describe a period. I do not see that there is any necessity for construing the words, "the evening and the morning," as meaning necessarily a twenty-four-hour day, "in the day when the Lord made the heaven and the earth."
Q--Then, when the Bible said, for instance, "and God called the firmament heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day," that does not necessarily mean twenty-four hours?
A--I do not think it necessarily does.
Q--Do you think it does or does not?
A--I know a great many think so.
Q--What do you think?
A--I do not think it does.
Q--You think those were not literal days?
A--I do not think they were twenty-four-hour days.
Q--What do you think about it?
A--That is my opinion--I do not know that my opinion is better on that subject than those who think it does.
Q--You do not think that ?
A--No. But I think it would be just as easy for the kind of God we believe in to make the earth in six days as in six years or in 6,000,000 years or in 600,000,000 years. I do not think it important whether we believe one or the other.
Q--Do you think those were literal days?
A--My impression is they were periods, but I would not attempt to argue as against anybody who wanted to believe in literal days.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:37 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,748,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
well maybe that is where the mistranslation of the word created comes into play
the meaning of the word is also Organized
maybe the earth was already here a dead planet maybe thats why there is that layer of no man's land between dinosaurs and mammals hhhhmmmmm interesting
his Idea of Creation maybe didn't include the rock itself just everything else that went into it

just thinking
Ive thought that myself when i was pondering the subject

Old 05-21-2007, 06:21 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,212,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Ive thought that myself when i was pondering the subject
YEEAAAHHH I have someone else who tries to use common sense when interpreting the Bible

Old 05-22-2007, 11:51 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,723,577 times
In regards to the earth being "whatever" years old it is, here is something I've always thought, and not proof to back it up since it's only a thought and not a belief.

What if when the flood happened during the time of Noah all living creatures were killed. It rained for 40 days and 40 nights. And wasn't the earth covered with water for 6 to 9 months? You have to believe the Bible to go along with this thought process. My uneducated thought is maybe rocks fell with the pressure of the water. And possibly they fell on some poor dead animal thus due to the pressure and time it's bone structure was imprinted in th rock.

To go a bit further, what if the flood changed the entire geographical layout of the earth? IMO as a non-scientist I do know about sediment and just wondering if a lot of the "findings" about the age of the earth and the "rings" that show its supposed age occurred because of the flood?

And one completely different thought is: Does God tell us how long he waited 'til he placed Adam and Eve on the earth after its formation? Could he have waited 'til the earth had some physical history to it such as mature trees, etc. And do we know if animals were on the earth before man? That could account for fossils and dinosaurs.

These are all just thougths I've always considered but not shared before. I am interested in hearing other thoughts on these considerations.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,523,795 times
Hey everybody????? looky, here's Hoos, finally with another really good question. It will be three days before I come up with an answer that he won' come back and give me another question.. So lemme think here

Old 05-22-2007, 12:15 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,723,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Hey everybody????? looky, here's Hoos, finally with another really good question. It will be three days before I come up with an answer that he won' come back and give me another question.. So lemme think here
Oh I'll be posting more now. Need the intellectual stimulation. Whoa Christians using their brains? I've been told that doesn't happen too often! Well God uses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise! Now where is that scripture reference?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
In regards to the earth being "whatever" years old it is, here is something I've always thought, and not proof to back it up since it's only a thought and not a belief.

What if when the flood happened during the time of Noah all living creatures were killed. It rained for 40 days and 40 nights. And wasn't the earth covered with water for 6 to 9 months? You have to believe the Bible to go along with this thought process. My uneducated thought is maybe rocks fell with the pressure of the water. And possibly they fell on some poor dead animal thus due to the pressure and time it's bone structure was imprinted in th rock.

To go a bit further, what if the flood changed the entire geographical layout of the earth? IMO as a non-scientist I do know about sediment and just wondering if a lot of the "findings" about the age of the earth and the "rings" that show its supposed age occurred because of the flood?

And one completely different thought is: Does God tell us how long he waited 'til he placed Adam and Eve on the earth after its formation? Could he have waited 'til the earth had some physical history to it such as mature trees, etc. And do we know if animals were on the earth before man? That could account for fossils and dinosaurs.

These are all just thougths I've always considered but not shared before. I am interested in hearing other thoughts on these considerations.
In regards to both your questions Hoosier
let's pick up my point of God Organizing the earth because organize is a legitamate form of the translation also he organize the dead earth as in the rock sphere
no one said it hadn't been inhabited before
he just organized it

maybe from the cataclysm that was the large meteor that hit during the reign of the dinosaurs
and when he said let there be light maybe that was when he lifted they veil of the 10,000 yrs of darkness that was predicted when this event happened
he then proceeded to inhabit the earth with flora abd fauna and man and woman of course
so maybe thats why there is this large section of "no man's land" in the layers of earth
start with that and let me know if you have more questions

Old 05-22-2007, 04:16 PM

23,021 posts, read 34,406,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post

I think the flood must have changed the earth dramatically. I also believe the entire earth was flooded not just that one area.
Genesis 2:20 says Adam named the livestock, birds and wild animals so we know those at least were created before Adams and Eve. I can't find anywhere that says how long after He created the earth He created Adam.
and Eve

Old 05-22-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think the flood must have changed the earth dramatically. I also believe the entire earth was flooded not just that one area.
Genesis 2:20 says Adam named the livestock, birds and wild animals so we know those at least were created before Adams and Eve. I can't find anywhere that says how long after He created the earth He created Adam.
and Eve
I guess if he rested a day on the 8th day he went back to work

Old 05-22-2007, 06:50 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,301,464 times
One of the things I LOVE about christianity is they SAY they want seperation of church and state so the state can't tell them how and when to worship...

BUT turn it around and at least fundamentalist christians want the church involved in politics so their beliefs can be turned into laws...

Ya can't have it both ways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.