Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:25 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times

Advertisements

This thread is yet another illustration of how we humans *automatically* assume supernatural causes for whatever we do not understand, instead of just saying "we don't know."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 12:36 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
There is actually physics to explain a few accounts Interference of Waves

Old 11-29-2017, 12:00 AM

1 posts, read 441 times
Had the same experience my refrigerator door open n slightly shut I was sitting on my couch in the living room and I was so shock n nervous all together ....was thinking the same same thing #spirits

Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 AM

392 posts, read 248,288 times
It's worth noting that, per naturalism, an event supernaturally caused would be given a chosen name and the description would be reflective of that found by the conditions and instrumentation interacting with the event.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:15 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
The other night, I was laying in my bed watching TV and then my bedroom door opened and then closed. There was no one in the house, and my pets were in my room with me, my wife was in the shower.

It was really odd, and it's never happened before. It freaked the heck out of out me, it was like someone was peeking into my bedroom, and I remember, I closed my door all the way because it makes that click sound when you close it.

I told my wife right away and she was in awe, she didn't believe me at first, but she finally did.

There is no explanation for what happened and I believe it might have been a spirit or something doing it.

What do you think?
pressure differences, house settling, and/or any unexpected event like you were sitting a long time and the air was stratifying or settled enough the air mover sent a gust of air.

or, maybe all that is stupid and my dead dad came back and moved it. yeah, thats a simpler explanation, a ghost.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:19 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
did I just respond to a 2009 thread?

I hope the net is able to properly process the information we leave it when it wakes up. for no christ sake it may wake up in an completely psychotic state processing the meat shaking between milli mentals and fundy mentals.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:05 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Watch this video.

YouTube - Open-mindedness
Seen this video. It's funny how this scientific explanation is the option, and yet the science type never ever is rehearsing their own prejudicides.

Occam's razor boiled down is often layed out as "when you hear hoofbeats, expect horses not zebras." And yes, to the vast majority this works. Howeve, if you live in New Zealand, this is not the case. There is a plausible amount to employ Occam's Razor then if you have exhausted that, and the person still clings to simpler explanations when they don't work, you will have to wonder if they arent just fishing for "rational" explanations to cover an equally closed mind.

You say the door is latched. This actually puts a wrinkle on things, as does it being an inner bedroom. So, what we do to be openminded is we examine the space around the door. Are the there any windows open? Is the door near any vents. Does your front or back door have a high space for air to get in? Does your house have visible spots when a draft of wind pushes the door? Is there a source of magnetism that your can identify in the basement below? Is the latch loose? Is there any normal way nearby that accounts for an inner door opening like this? Could a friend be sitting or standing in a room above or below, and gaslighting you?

If there are no detectible strings or magnets, and no upper or lower rooms to possibly adjust this from, and you have answered no to all of these questions, you can say "Forget this" to any so-called rational people and believe what you please.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
“It’s something we don’t understand, therefore it’s caused by a supernatural agent.”

That’s how humans have thought since the beginning of humans.

The little door on the top opening of my laundry chute almost always slams shut shortly after I dump a load of clothes down the chute. It’s clearly the work of ghosts and spirits.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:31 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
This thread is yet another illustration of how we humans *automatically* assume supernatural causes for whatever we do not understand, instead of just saying "we don't know."
It's also about saying we dont know, yet immediately ruling out the supernatural.

Suppose something WERE the supernatural. Would you need to do something about it? Say, a ninetailed fox.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:30 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
It's also about saying we dont know, yet immediately ruling out the supernatural.

Suppose something WERE the supernatural. Would you need to do something about it? Say, a ninetailed fox.
By definition the supernatural cannot be observed or interacted with, nor can we be interacted with by it. It's outside of nature, therefore, data concerning it is unobtanium. The supernatural is a useless concept that should not be introduced into discussions at all because it inherently cannot possibly provide enlightenment concerning causes or meanings.

Of COURSE we immediately rule out the supernatural. Why wouldn't we.

That is not to say we can't admit that we don't know why a thing happened / what caused it. It's simply recognizing that our knowledge is incomplete. But I guarantee you that EVERY time an explanation for the unknown is found, it's a NATURAL explanation and never a SUPERnatural one.

I have had a few experiences I can't adequately explain. The supernatural isn't even on the list of possible explanations. "The supernatural" is just a mental shim that people use for the unknown, to help them feel less anxious about not having an immediate explanation for something. It's actually not horrible to not know the explanation for something and to admit it and sit with it until you have some legitimate and justifiable explanation or hypothesis for it. And it's okay if, about some things, you NEVER do. That's just life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality