Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM

268 posts, read 458,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baront70 View Post
Okay let's say I did go 24 hours and threw away everything about God. Please tell me you intelligent unbelievers what the hell is life all about and what the hell is the point of life? You live for about okay lets give you 80 years. You start figuring life out at about 30 you have a good 20 years with no pain or disease. You buy a house and slave to pay for it if you are real lucky you keep the same spouse so you don't have to start all over again. You work your whole life for your house and children and to have this glorious retirement. Then when they get older and need care they take your money ship you off to a nursing home never to see you again. You are full of aches and pains the pharmaceutical companies love you thou and then you die. What is the freaken point you have nothing to live for!!!!!
Unless you have came up with mortality and perfect environment.
Love and laughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 07:43 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,198,336 times
Quote:
Okay let's say I did go 24 hours and threw away everything about God. Please tell me you intelligent unbelievers what the hell is life all about and what the hell is the point of life? You live for about okay lets give you 80 years. You start figuring life out at about 30 you have a good 20 years with no pain or disease. You buy a house and slave to pay for it if you are real lucky you keep the same spouse so you don't have to start all over again. You work your whole life for your house and children and to have this glorious retirement. Then when they get older and need care they take your money ship you off to a nursing home never to see you again. You are full of aches and pains the pharmaceutical companies love you thou and then you die. What is the freaken point you have nothing to live for!!!!!
"Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so. " - Robert Green Ingersoll

There's a lot to live and be happy about. I have two beautiful little girls. I soak in every little giggle, every smile, every twinkle in their eye because I know that's all I'm going to get. Rather than missing important moments because I may get to see them in an afterlife, I'd rather soak in the real moments I'm experiencing with them now because an afterlife is an uncertainty.

We never take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not a promise. We love deeply and we show it. We make an effort to do good for our fellow man because while this life is not perfect there are things each of us can do to make it better for others (both presently and for the future).

We don't slave away for a house we can't afford.. instead we live within our means. We're not even 30 and we own our home without a mortgage and several acres of land along with it. My husband works hard..but truth be told we play hard to. We enjoy each day specifically because we do not want to waste the lives we have hoping for something to come after. Think of what you miss out on when you rush through your life in anticipation of the afterlife. Are you going to lay on you deathbed wishing you'd taken the time to watch the sun rise just one more time? Are you going to be wishing you'd sat down and read a story to your children instead of rushing out the door to a church meeting? I'm not. I'm going to draw my final breath knowing I made the best of the time I had and didn't waste or dread a moment of it.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM

268 posts, read 458,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Who on here, here on C.D., have never heard of Jesus Christ, and what's your excuse? TALK TO ME.!!

So many threads asking: "Well what if someone have never heard the name of Jesus Christ before... What happens to them"?

But I ASK YOU..".You've HEARD, What's your excuse"?
Sorry, I missed the many threads addressing "what if someone never heard of Jesus". What was your answer?

How did you come to find Christianity, Betsey Lane? Just curious. Have you traveled much?

P.S. My excuse is I found a more reasonable belief system. One that doesn't involve innocent people burning for all of eternity. One that isn't based upon a popular book containing a lot of conflicting stories that people wrote 2000+ years ago...stories that were hand-picked by human beings while other stories were thrown out for political reasons.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:30 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,022,445 times
Quote:
A problem in your argument is that you assume that life is intrinsically meaningless and that to gain meaning one must look to a third party. This denigrates life because it makes it seem worthless and meaningless. This view may work for you, although it is rather dismal. You seem to be making life out to be nothing but sorrow and suffering. This is only true if you choose to dwell on negativity. There are many things to live for. As the saying goes 'live well, laugh often, love much.' Many religious people seem to think things like love and beauty are inherently worthless; although why do you need god to make those things meaningful? Atheists don't have nothing to live for. They just don't need god to enjoy the good things in life.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:35 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,645,871 times
Quote:
Interesting...you assume that some kind of "excuse" is even necessary. I happen to follow a different religion. I don't subscribe to the teachings ascribed to Jesus of Nazareth...no excuse needed.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:43 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,204,590 times
Quote:
You know you guys have bored me.
One would think an omniscient/omnipotent God would have prevented that. Go figure, eh?

Personally, it's not a matter of belief or disbelief. I'm perfectly willing to believe in your petty tribal deity. I just don't find him particularly relevant.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:02 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,766,616 times
Quote:
What you describe is the typical American way of living life, which many people seem to feel is the only way to live. Not everyone will live such a generic life. Also, why do you need a deity to have meaning in your life? Are you incapable of finding a purpose in life without God? Why do you think there even needs to be a purpose to our existence in order to be happy? I'm impressed by the beauty of nature regardless of whether it's there for a reason or not. Go to the photography forum and look at some of the great pictures of nature. If there is no God and no purpose to existence, the world depicted there will still be just as lovely to us. To some of us, the world is even more beautiful without a creator.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:11 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,050,927 times
Quote:
Who on here, here on C.D., have never heard of Jesus Christ, and what's your excuse? TALK TO ME.!!

So many threads asking: "Well what if someone have never heard the name of Jesus Christ before... What happens to them"?

Of course I have heard of Jesus...... I don't need an excuse...... You have your faith and I have mine.

Your reality is not mine and many people don't share your reality or religious views. They also don't need an excuse........

Old 11-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Would you be any happier joining her? Just want to know.[/quote]

Wow Betsy you are a piece of work..... Christianity is not the only way and if his mom was a good person I seriously doubt she is in hell......

Old 11-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Somebody did'nt give up on me! Just continuing on, just continuing on.... are you following me?
No........

: smack: Hopefully most people find God as their heart shows them and not through fear!!!!:shock ed:

I am following God, as he has been with my people since he lead us out of Egypt and continues to bless us as the Nation of Israel. The people of Israel.

Last edited by Jazzymom; 11-01-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality