Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 11:43 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times

Advertisements

This is the first time that I have really looked into this section of city data, and all I can say is.... Wow!!!

I am seriously shocked by what I am reading. I am not an atheist, and I have no problem with Christianity. But a lot of the Christian views I am reading about here are very, very, very extreme.

I don't even know where to begin, but it's definantly a wake up call to read some of this. Lots of people here seem to take the metaphors of the Bible literally, and lots of people are are just taking things so out of context.

In the US, many people would call the Muslems of Saudi Arabia, Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries fanatics, or extremists. But by the looks of what I see here, Christianity is just the other side of the same coin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Yahh, allot of the Nicene Christians on here are indeed extreme. At the same time, there are allot of anti-theists who are just as foaming at the mouth intolerant. It would be nice if there was some fail-safe that allowed only people who aren't foaming at the mouth when they type to posts.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Yahh, allot of the Nicene Christians on here are indeed extreme. At the same time, there are allot of anti-theists who are just as foaming at the mouth intolerant. It would be nice if there was some fail-safe that allowed only people who aren't foaming at the mouth when they type to posts.

very interesting thought. take it on faith, that good must prevail. but take it on knowledge that freedom needs courage!

Old 03-15-2009, 12:33 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,134,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Very true. It seems like a lot of the atheists are trying really hard to prove that there is no God. And to firmly believe that there is no God at all is just as extreme, and maybe more extreme than religious fundamentalists.

God is one of those things that we all have to shrug our shoulders a little bit I just admit that we don't know. We have to admit that it is much bigger than anything we can possibly imagine. It's funny seeing how people think they know exactly what God is.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:31 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
FunkyMonk wrote:
Quote:
And to firmly believe that there is no God at all is just as extreme, and maybe more extreme than religious fundamentalists.
I'm an atheist and I don't see anything extreme about not believing in God simply because there's not a shred of evidence that there is one and a strong case can be presented that God is merely a mythological human invention. Why should anyone accept as fact the concept that God is real when he's invisible and can't be detected by any means known to man? I'm a reasonable person and completely open to any evidence that might prove that God really exists but I've never seen any.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Very true. It seems like a lot of the atheists are trying really hard to prove that there is no God.
Where? Defend your claim.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:40 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
When you think about it, a lot of people come on a forum like this to tell others what to do.

If you believe you have all the answers, you're going to be drawn to a forum like this to proselytize.

If you believe all spirituality is bunk, you're going to be drawn to a forum like this to proselytize.

Look at the political forum. You'd think we were on the brink of civil war and that everyone hates Obama.

Extremists with a need to vent use tools like this as an outlet.

I tried engaging in a conversation with the fundamentalist Christians. Very little love. Quite a bit of judgment.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:53 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,063,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
This is the first time that I have really looked into this section of city data, and all I can say is.... Wow!!!

I am seriously shocked by what I am reading. I am not an atheist, and I have no problem with Christianity. But a lot of the Christian views I am reading about here are very, very, very extreme.

I don't even know where to begin, but it's definantly a wake up call to read some of this. Lots of people here seem to take the metaphors of the Bible literally, and lots of people are are just taking things so out of context.

In the US, many people would call the Muslems of Saudi Arabia, Iraq and other Middle Eastern countries fanatics, or extremists. But by the looks of what I see here, Christianity is just the other side of the same coin.

Welcome to the cruel, cruel world of Religion and Philosophy

You will find no mercy here

Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Welcome to the cruel, cruel world of Religion and Philosophy

You will find no mercy here
Not to Despair.....Prophet Muhammad s.a.w was sent as a Mercy to All Mankind

Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm an atheist and I don't see anything extreme about not believing in God simply because there's not a shred of evidence that there is one and a strong case can be presented that God is merely a mythological human invention. Why should anyone accept as fact the concept that God is real when he's invisible and can't be detected by any means known to man? I'm a reasonable person and completely open to any evidence that might prove that God really exists but I've never seen any.

There is nothing wrong with being an atheists. It is simply the anti-theists extremist who have issues, just as there is nothing wrong with being a theist, it's just the theists extremist who have issues.

If I hear one more self proclaimed "free thinker" say something along the lines of "ALL PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN GOD SHOULD BE THROWN UP AGAINST A WALL AND SHOT! THEY'RE ALL HORRIBLE, STUPID, VIOLENT PEOPLE AND I HATE THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE INTOLERANT!" I think I'll pull my hair out.

Keep in mind that I am not talking about all atheists, but rather the hand full of vocal extremist. I don't think that there is anything wrong with atheism in and of it's self. Much like theism, it is not the docrtine as much as it is what you as an individual do with it that counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality