Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
So you venerate an evil god? Interesting.

Who said I worship the creator? I hate the bastard. Many but not all Gnostics hate him...some of us just dislike him, but none of us venerate Satan, the creator.

GOD is that-which-came-before-the-creator...a time so far into the past, it is also the future. GOD is unknowable, and must be known at the same time. It is not sentient in any way we can understand, and is not eminent in this universe. We all have a piece of GOD within us and hence, we are all GOD. So, we pray to ouselves and the GREAT LIGHT above this world, and not the petty ruler who made us just to watch us suffer, like a child who builds a sand castel only to knock it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Welp, you are certainly an unusual religious person in my experience, my apologies for making incorrect assumptions about your beliefs.

I don't know exactly how your view ties in to what I was responding to, though - which was another poster's assertion that the amazing complexity of eyes and brains and hearts are prima facie evidence of intelligent design by their god.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:44 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Who said I worship the creator? I hate the bastard. Many but not all Gnostics hate him...some of us just dislike him, but none of us venerate Satan, the creator.

GOD is that-which-came-before-the-creator...a time so far into the past, it is also the future. GOD is unknowable, and must be known at the same time. It is not sentient in any way we can understand, and is not eminent in this universe. We all have a piece of GOD within us and hence, we are all GOD. So, we pray to ouselves and the GREAT LIGHT above this world, and not the petty ruler who made us just to watch us suffer, like a child who builds a sand castel only to knock it down.
The angst meter is reading high over here.

Dude, you need a chill pill

Old 03-17-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
The angst meter is reading high over here.

Dude, you need a chill pill
I am not angry, just saying the reality: our creator hates us all, and I hate our creator back. This is one of the most accurate depiction of the creator I have ever seen:
YouTube - The Mysterious Stranger - The Adventures of Mark Twain

Old 03-17-2009, 05:10 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
The Gnostic scriptures teach that GOD, the unknowable IT that is not sentient in any way we can understand exist in the true reality, which is larger than this reality and is above the universe and does have some pull on this universe.

Phyisicst have a theory that there is a Higher-dimensional space much more vast than our small membrane of a universe and that there are forces in that Higher-dimensional space that can effect our universe (super gravity) Brane cosmology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Show me one scientific theory which proves that there can exist a invisible little man in a glass, and I will agree with you. Phyicist agree on the principal that there can exist another realm that can have an impact on our less-vast realm of existince, much the same way the Gnostic Scriptures say that the Aeon of Pleroma is the abode of GOD and that it has an effect on this world.

There are clear parallels between the two.

If gravity is connected to this world, is it subject to the same laws of physics? Yes. Same with GOD. I never said GOD was omnipotent. Stop confusing me with a Nicene.

No, but I would say that about something that had some eyewitnesses to existing and is within the realm of physics, like a sea serpent. Sea serpents once existed around the time of the dinosaurs, and people claim to have seen them. Do they exist? YES/NO.

GOD has been claimed to have been experienced by people all over the world and, as I explained above, is within the realm of scientific probablity. Does GOD exist? YES/NO
OK So you do agree that lack of provability does not render the probabilities of something existing and not existing equal.

I'd say the difference between the concept of Schrodinger's cat and agnosticism is one says 'both are true,' the other says 'I don't know and I'm not going to say either are true yet.' Both will go on to assume one way or another, e.g. I assume God (all definitions that are beyond what is observable/testable) doesn't exist and you assume he does (your own definition). We both agree we have no idea which it is, and I assume you are like me in that you would change your opinion in light of any evidence.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
OK So you do agree that lack of provability does not render the probabilities of something existing and not existing equal.
Sorry for the delay in getting back, I have been away from posting for awhile...anyway, there is a difference between "lack of provability" and lack of "reasonable probability". My concept of GOD, the "supernatural" aspects there of, as in existing in a Higher Dimensional space as a part of Brane Cosmology, is within the confines of science and hence, has a "reasonable probability" of existing.

It is not provable, but is possible from what the sciences are saying. So, the "little man" thought experiment is not a good example. A better one would be:

You are on a deserted island with food, water, and your pet ferret. The ferret is two years old and one day you look at it and wonder: is he or is he not in the early stages of Adrenal gland cancer? One in seven ferrets will have this common disease. You do not have access to any medical equipment and you don't want to open him up and kill him, so, the answer to "does he or does he not have cancer"? has you sit there looking at him on the beach is: YES/NO. Later on I am sure the symptoms will or will not become visible, but for now, looking at him, the answer is YES/NO

When it comes to the existince of the "supernatural" GOD, I am at a permanent state of being like the man on the beach looking at his ferret, and I can never see the symptoms. It is possible but not guaranteed, and I am trapped in a permanent state of stairing at the ferret with no way of knowing if it does or does not have cancer.

Quote:
I'd say the difference between the concept of Schrodinger's cat and agnosticism is one says 'both are true,' the other says 'I don't know and I'm not going to say either are true yet.'
Both will go on to assume one way or another, e.g. I assume God (all definitions that are beyond what is observable/testable) doesn't exist and you assume he does (your own definition).
Well, I define GOD as being both "supernatural" and not "supernatural". The actual existince of GOD as a supernatural being I place in Column: A, the unprovable and undisprovable...Christ existed, there is a satan a heaven and angels and lesser gods (the Archons) and sentient wisdom of GOD (Sophia) and I have a inner piece of GOD within (pneuma)

That which is provable is in Column B: My religion makes me happy, it does great things for my life with none of the drawbacks in most other world religions.

Now, if Column A is false, which we agree cannot be known with 100% certainty, than we go on to Column C: what was I actually doing? There was no deity, only arch types of the human psychy, there was no satan, but only the circumstances of pain which mark human life, there is no heaven, only the promise of death, there is Christ, only philosophical teachings someone wrote in the early centuries AD, there is no GOD in the "supernatural" sense, but only ideas which transcend day-to-day existince and there is no pneuma, but only the super-ego.

Well, here's the thing: Column Aand Column C both have the same effect, i.e., there existince makes my life happy. So, why stop being religious? If it is all a placebo effect, well, it still is AN EFFECT. Which is preferable, a placebo that cures or still walking around with an illness? The cure is still the Cure ( great, now I have "Just like Heaven" stuck in my head
YouTube - The Cure-Just Like Heaven )

So, when one looks at the end results of religion, at least in my case, than cleary the benefits of making a "hypothesis of faith" (rather than a "leap of faith", i.e., denying evolution in the face of massive evidence) far outway the burdens.

Quote:
We both agree we have no idea which it is, and I assume you are like me in that you would change your opinion in light of any evidence.
That can only happen if humanity finds a way of entering Higher-Dimensional space (they can't even do that on Star Trek and I doubt it will happen any time in the next ten human lifetimes) or if I die...and if I die, well, I'M DEAD, so who cares ? If I die happy, however, than religion has done it's job.

In the end, questions and sentients are the world's greatest rorschach test. I see GOD, others see nothing. Like the ink blot tests, there is not right or wrong answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality