Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,090,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
LOL, I haven't had any man inside me for a long time, Satan or anyone else.

Sorry but I just had to.

So funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:55 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,721,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Nope. I was never indoctrinated into a religion and was left to decide for myself whether the idea of God makes sense or not. It makes no sense to me, therefore I am an atheist.
So are you an atheist or an agnostic? It seems more natural to be an agnostic, not having faith that there definitely is or is not a god or higher power.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,330,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Would someone intelligently explain the attraction to atheism? What is the draw to this religion? Has something occured either good or bad in your life to draw you to become an atheist?

What religion(s) offend you the most, and why? What can people of those faiths do to better understand you and cohabitat together respectfully?
I'm not really an atheist, although I do lean pretty far that way...

My idea is more along the lines of: There could be something more powerful out there somewhere. Not saying there is, not saying there isn't, I'm just one little human on a little planet floating its way around space.

But if such a being does exist, I'm sure it doesn't watch me in the shower, adjudicate my every action, hate gays, offer me eternal life, create time and universes, make people out of mud-puddles, flood an entire planet, and sit in a chair awaiting the use of fire and brimstone. In other words, I'm pretty sure that is such a being exists, it is nothing like any religion has made it out to me.

as far as what made me think this way: my parents never dragged me off to church.... they let me figure it out myself.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,330,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
"Atheists? Do they really exist? "

when it comes to people who actually whole heartedly refuse to believe in God, such people there is no good in them. now there is no good in any one, but those who have Christ in them can lay claim to having within them the goodness of God. The fool is without even this. check out the verse below.

Ps.14:1 - The foolhath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

what we have on this site are people who say WITH THEIR MOUTH that they don't believe in God but the bible didn't say that he who says with his mouth there is no God, but he who has said in his heart. this means on this site we don't really know if the person who call themselves an atheist is really one. it is possible for people to say things that they don't mean and only the right amount of pressure would reveal the truth of a persons heart. it all depends on if they say this in their hearts. this person who says there is no God in his or her heart, in the bible God calls them a fool.

please don't get mad at me.......
well of course a self promoting religion would say that in its contract. I would expect that most religions would include strings like these. there are no other religions, this one has the right answers, nonbelievers are left outside, insert a few universal truths and make sure the whole idea is elaborately written out so that lack of proof is the muscle behind it.

but of course the religion will say things like this. otherwise it would be like a car salesman telling you there is a better deal on a better car across town

and what about those who say with their mouth that they believe in god?

Last edited by cleatis; 02-18-2008 at 11:28 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 10:15 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,649,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Hey, a woman has to have certain standards you know! If he's cute and has a job, I might not let him in my heart but I might think about letting him in other places.

Yes, I'm bad.
What's cute though ? I mean how cute ? What would tip you over ? Who rocks your boat in terms of looks ?

I would have thought Satan would have to be rather attractive if he was going to seduce people into his dark ways ?!

As for a job I think if he is responsible for all the terrible things in our world as some people believe, you'd never see him, he'd be constantly busy, taking calls, meetings, doing lunch, and would never have the time to get back to you at all... Mind you that might be a blessing too. I met this woman once who told me Satan stank worse than a skunk so I would be careful about getting too close !

Nah, give me a regular nice guy, I've never been one for the "bad boy" type. Too immature and self absorbed.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,972,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
So are you an atheist or an agnostic? It seems more natural to be an agnostic, not having faith that there definitely is or is not a god or higher power.
Atheism != having faith that there is no divinity. That would be an active faith. Atheism is entirely passive. Atheism does not claim that there is absolutely no God. Atheism = lack of faith that there is a God.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:32 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,271,601 times
Quote:
Atheism != having faith that there is no divinity. That would be an active faith. Atheism is entirely passive. Atheism does not claim that there is absolutely no God. Atheism = lack of faith that there is a God.
So then, what is the difference between atheism and agnosticism?

I had always understood the difference is the atheist affirmatively concludes there is no god (based on the complete lack of actual evidence) and the agnostic allows the possibility of a god that does not violate the laws of nature but doesn't believe in one either (based on the complete lack of actual evidence).

Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,721,643 times
Quote:
I have to disagree... agnosticism requires no faith. Atheism demands that you believe that there is no possibility of a god or higher power. That requires faith, by my definition of faith.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:43 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,972,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
So then, what is the difference between atheism and agnosticism?

I had always understood the difference is the atheist affirmatively concludes there is no god (based on the complete lack of actual evidence) and the agnostic allows the possibility of a god that does not violate the laws of nature but doesn't believe in one either (based on the complete lack of actual evidence).
An agnostic doesn't know if there is a God but can still believe that there is one. An atheist doesn't have a belief that there is a God. The terms sure cause some confusion

Old 02-18-2008, 10:44 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,763,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
What's cute though ? I mean how cute ? What would tip you over ? Who rocks your boat in terms of looks ?

I would have thought Satan would have to be rather attractive if he was going to seduce people into his dark ways ?!

As for a job I think if he is responsible for all the terrible things in our world as some people believe, you'd never see him, he'd be constantly busy, taking calls, meetings, doing lunch, and would never have the time to get back to you at all... Mind you that might be a blessing too. I met this woman once who told me Satan stank worse than a skunk so I would be careful about getting too close !

Nah, give me a regular nice guy, I've never been one for the "bad boy" type. Too immature and self absorbed.
Hey, I'm not saying he'd be a keeper. But he might be fun for a fling. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality