Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM

54 posts, read 156,951 times

Advertisements

Hoosier:"Would someone intelligently explain the attraction to atheism?"

These are a few of the clues for me.

1. The origins of the new testament are extremely controversial. There are no original manuscripts, they are all copies, written by whom and when is debated.

2.The incredible creation story in which a perfect God created imperfection.

3. The dogma that I will burn in hell for all etenity if I don't believe in Jesus.

There are countless parables in the Bible that you must believe to be factual in order to be "saved". Now the Bible is a great book and it will teach you many life lessons, but to take every verse as God's written word is ludicrous.

I think we would all agree that you should'nt believe everything you hear. Maybe the Atheist simply wants empirical evidence or a personal experience to some degree. That's a basic human survival instinct, to investigate the waters before you jump head in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:02 PM

206 posts, read 578,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Would someone intelligently explain the attraction to atheism? What is the draw to this religion?
I realize I never actually answered this one.

The draw of Atheism is simply a matter of applying an objective and rational viewpoint toward the concept of religion and exercising some critical thinking skills.

After that all you really need is intellectual honesty.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,254,667 times
I don't think that all philosophies are religions but I do believe that all religions are philosophies.
I consider atheism a philosophy and not a religion. The thing is that there are very intelligent atheists and very dumb theists.
Then again there are very intelligent people who simply refuse to acknowledge empirical data simply because they choose to believe otherwise (for example a dogma for theists and their ego for atheists).

Old 02-20-2008, 10:38 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,724,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel266 View Post
Hoosier:"Would someone intelligently explain the attraction to atheism?"

These are a few of the clues for me.

1. The origins of the new testament are extremely controversial. There are no original manuscripts, they are all copies, written by whom and when is debated.

2.The incredible creation story in which a perfect God created imperfection.

3. The dogma that I will burn in hell for all etenity if I don't believe in Jesus.

There are countless parables in the Bible that you must believe to be factual in order to be "saved". Now the Bible is a great book and it will teach you many life lessons, but to take every verse as God's written word is ludicrous.

I think we would all agree that you should'nt believe everything you hear. Maybe the Atheist simply wants empirical evidence or a personal experience to some degree. That's a basic human survival instinct, to investigate the waters before you jump head in.
I see this type of response all the time and I don't quite get it. The disbelief in the Bible as the "truth" doesn't directly equate with atheism or agnosticism... it just means that you don't buy into the belief that the Bible is the truth.

It's possible to believe in the jist of the Bible without believing all of it and still claim to be a Christian. It's also possible to believe in the God of Abraham and not believe that Jesus is God, but just a prophet. And it's possible to believe that all "manmade" religion is hogwash but still believe that there is a "god" or higher power that created the universe.

I don't care what you choose to believe, but I don't think the next logical jump from not believing the Bible is completely true to atheism... but I could be wrong

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 PM

738 posts, read 1,886,584 times
Atheism cannot be proven and God’s existence must be accepted by faith AND it takes just as much faith to believe in atheism.
It is God’s desire for people to believe in Him by faith (2 Peter 3:9) and accept His gift of salvation (John 3:16).

If a person is not willing to accept God’s existence by faith, then they are definitely not ready to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior by faith (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Old 02-21-2008, 01:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,328,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post
Atheism cannot be proven and God’s existence must be accepted by faith AND it takes just as much faith to believe in atheism.
It is God’s desire for people to believe in Him by faith (2 Peter 3:9) and accept His gift of salvation (John 3:16).
It takes no faith to not believe in something.
It takes a lot of faith to believe in a fairy tale.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,476,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZEL View Post

If a person is not willing to accept God’s existence by faith, then they are definitely not ready to accept Jesus Christ as their Savior by faith (Ephesians 2:8-9).
Ummmm.... and to that I say it requires just as much faith to not believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. I then ask: Why don't you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and would you be willing to examine the proof if it were given to you?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:55 AM

twojciac:"I see this type of response all the time and I don't quite get it. The disbelief in the Bible as the "truth" doesn't directly equate with atheism or agnosticism... it just means that you don't buy into the belief that the Bible is the truth."

"It's possible to believe in the jist of the Bible without believing all of it and still claim to be a Christian. (Yea, that is called being a HYPOCRITE)

It's also possible to believe in the God of Abraham and not believe that Jesus is God, but just a prophet." (of course Judiasm)

"And it's possible to believe that all "manmade" religion is hogwash but still believe that there is a "god" or higher power that created the universe."(Agnostic)

"I don't care what you choose to believe, but I don't think the next logical jump from not believing the Bible is completely true to atheism... but I could be wrong [/quote]"

The question being addressed was how could anyone consider atheism and I pointed out some of the more obvious, blatant, in your face flaws of the Christian religion to give an example of how someone might consider atheism to such incredible myths. All major religions have their flaws, for they are man made, I would be just as quick to point out that they also have their beauty. The OP seems to believe it is a unique concept for someone to think outside the box or to examine, let's say a religion, rather than taking it on face value based on what someone else said or wrote.

We could pose the same question another way: " How could anyone question the validity of a religion or question whether or not there is truly a God based on empirical evidence? OR how could anyone ask questions ect...ect..

Old 02-21-2008, 06:02 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,610,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Would someone intelligently explain the attraction to atheism? What is the draw to this religion?
OK...maybe I'm missing something, but how is the lack of a religion a religion?

It's a little bit like asking "What's the deal with anarchy? What draws people to that form of government?"

Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 AM

jfre81:"OK...maybe I'm missing something, but how is the lack of a religion a religion?"

It's a little bit like asking "What's the deal with anarchy? What draws people to that form of government?"[/quote]

So can we surmise that you consider Atheism and Anarchy as synonymous?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality