Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:14 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,723,962 times

Advertisements

My husband is agnostic; unsure of whether or not there be a god. He practices no religion, having no need for it, but does not completely denounce the possibility of a higher power.

I am an atheist - I do not believe in Satan, God or the supremacy of any other Deity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 02:12 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,716,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
My husband is agnostic; unsure of whether or not there be a god. He practices no religion, having no need for it, but does not completely denounce the possibility of a higher power.

I am an atheist - I do not believe in Satan, God or the supremacy of any other Deity.
Interesting. I do wonder what makes you so sure that neither exists.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:13 PM

484 posts, read 1,948,725 times
My husband is an agnostic, leaning toward atheism. I'm a lapsed Caholic. The God that makes the most sense to me is a God that set things into motion, and doesn't intervene in anyone's life.

I love the British term for religious fanatics, "God botherers". It's funny how many people claim to love God, yet God always seems to want, and hate, the same things they do.

The NPR website has a great essay by Penn Jillette (of Penn and Teller) explaining his beliefs as an atheist. Check out http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5015557

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 02-15-2007 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-15-2007, 02:15 PM

Thanks. I'll do that when I have time.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:22 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,723,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Interesting. I do wonder what makes you so sure that neither exists.
As you yourself can illustrate by your faith, one does not need absolute proof to believe something. Or not.

I follow my own rational (and do a great deal of historical and cultural reading).

I find the structure of religion and the need for explanation to be a pacifier, filling a void, giving a reason...humans have a hard time settling for the unknown and have since being able to process thought tried to answer themselves through speculation and superstition.

I can sit here without quivering. I am firm in my comfort that it just doesn't seem true to me. Settled. No second guessing.

You have your way. I have mine.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33458 View Post
As you yourself can illustrate by your faith, one does not need absolute proof to believe something. Or not.

I follow my own rational (and do a great deal of historical and cultural reading).

I find the structure of religion and the need for explanation to be a pacifier, filling a void, giving a reason...humans have a hard time settling for the unknown and have since being able to process thought tried to answer themselves through speculation and superstition.

I can sit here without quivering. I am firm in my comfort that it just doesn't seem true to me. Settled. No second guessing.

You have your way. I have mine.
I was sincerely wondering, not trying to agitate you. I am agnostic and have no faith in any unseen being. I was just hoping for some insight from an atheist what provides the proof that no deity exists.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:27 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,215,945 times
I've always wondered if the bible wasn't some fictional bestseller from thousands of years ago.

I wonder if, years from now, people will find a copy of one of Sidney Sheldon's books and decide that that is the religion their ancestors followed?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:30 PM

The chances are that you are absolutely correct, though it was advertised as being nonfiction. No substantive evidence exists that corraborates the events in the Bible, especially the N.T. Isn't it strange that even the Dead Sea Scrolls doesn't mention this "miracle worker" who lived only a short distance away?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:40 PM

Who do you think prehistoric man worshipped?

Old 02-15-2007, 02:50 PM

When I was a kid, my family took some trips to the places where miracles had supposedly happened. There were always areas where people put their crutches (because they now could walk) and their eyeglasses (because they now could see) and that kind of thing.

I remember being at one of these places in Canada. I was saying prayers around a little area where people had put small things like eyeglasses and such -- and I noticed a full set of dentures.

You know, that really made me wonder... Did someone actually grow a new set of teeth? That would REALLY be a miracle if that happened! You would think that that would make all the newspapers! "Grandmother, 85, Grows New Set Of Teeth!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality