Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times

Advertisements

One of my very favorite movies of all time was The Exorcist. People have often stated that this was based on a real event but investigators have found nothing to substantiate those claims and there seems to be alot of confusion about the actual facts and people who were supposedly involved in it. Of course in the movie it's not just a demon, it's actually satan himself (I guess he's a male, all of the other supernatural beings are supposedly male). Anyway, does anyone believe that this phenomenon is possible and if so what exactly is going on? Would a person's personality and identify be taken over by some sort of entity who takes over their body for lack of a better explanation? Also, does anyone else find it peculiar that you never hear anything about atheists who've become possessed? It's always people who are religious and believe in the realm of the spirit world who seem to fall victim to these possessions. I suspect that it would make someone feel quite important if they were in the midst of a clash between God and satan and I can understand how a little bit of playacting with alot of cursing, physical violence and trauma followed by a theatrical recovery, blessings to the angels, and those dutiful human beings who performed those sacred rites would appeal to someone who really just wanted attention and acceptance. Any thoughts?

Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
No. I don't believe people can be possessed by demons. But then again this is coming from the same guy who doesn't believe people can be possessed by God(s) either. I'm an equal opportunity unbeliever.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM

65 posts, read 181,472 times
I definately believe demons can and do possess people.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:56 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times
Troop wrote:
Quote:
No. I don't believe people can be possessed by demons.
I know what you mean Troopster. I'm afraid it's only the stuff of movies and books although they can be alot of fun!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,456,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Troop wrote:

I know what you mean Troopster. I'm afraid it's only the stuff of movies and books although they can be alot of fun!
I remember a few years ago at work when we were watching Amityville Horror in the breakroom (the original) and someone exclaimed "It's just so realistic, isn't it?" I started laughing because I thought he was being sarcastic but then I was given one of those strange looks from him like he didn't appreciate being mocked. So... What do you want me to say? That I find it remotely plausible that the devil is hiding in someone's basement and making them do bad things?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:04 PM

65 posts, read 181,472 times
Quote:
Troop wrote:

You'd be surprised and shocked!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Mmmm...possessed by demons? No...but possessed by drugs, booze, schizophrenia, etc, yes.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:12 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,502,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I thought he was being sarcastic but then I was given one of those strange looks from him
He was possessed, Troop, strange looks are the first sign

Old 09-04-2008, 05:13 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,372,809 times
Do You Believe That Someone Can Be Possessed By A Demon?

Absolutely! There are many times Jesus cast demons out of people. Ephesians 6:12 "For we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against the evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against those mighty powers of darkness who rule this world and against wicked spirits in the heavenly realms".

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 09-04-2008 at 05:41 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 05:14 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
Quote:
One of my very favorite movies of all time was The Exorcist. People have often stated that this was based on a real event but investigators have found nothing to substantiate those claims and there seems to be alot of confusion about the actual facts and people who were supposedly involved in it. Of course in the movie it's not just a demon, it's actually satan himself (I guess he's a male, all of the other supernatural beings are supposedly male). Anyway, does anyone believe that this phenomenon is possible and if so what exactly is going on? Would a person's personality and identify be taken over by some sort of entity who takes over their body for lack of a better explanation? Also, does anyone else find it peculiar that you never hear anything about atheists who've become possessed? It's always people who are religious and believe in the realm of the spirit world who seem to fall victim to these possessions. I suspect that it would make someone feel quite important if they were in the midst of a clash between God and satan and I can understand how a little bit of playacting with alot of cursing, physical violence and trauma followed by a theatrical recovery, blessings to the angels, and those dutiful human beings who performed those sacred rites would appeal to someone who really just wanted attention and acceptance. Any thoughts?
nope. It all in the mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality