Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:52 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,008,076 times

Advertisements

The only thing that people can be possessed by is fear and paranoia.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:06 PM

10 posts, read 26,877 times
If someone committed a crime would you give them the benefit of the doubt if they said they were possessed?

What if they hurt someone you cared for?

Should they be punished under the law?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:01 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,333,328 times
I believe that someone saying they are possessed, is trying to escape from owning up to what they did, like temporary insanity, that's another well-used crutch.....They should stand trial like anyone else and when it's proven they did whatever they are accused of, they should be punished accordingly...to heck with all that possesion crap...

Old 09-06-2008, 07:46 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,633,334 times
Nikk and Campbell34, I know you've both described situations in your lives in which you feel you were possessed and please don't take my thread or my point of view as any sort of insult or disrespect to you, that is not my intention. I can truly understand how someone who was describing a demonic possession in the Bible could have been witnessing a seizure or any number of medical conditions. For those who believe that Christ cast out the demons it would make alot more sense to believe that he cured their medical or psychological illness. I'm suggesting that if you take this business about demons and possession too seriously it may negatively impact your own life when you're faced with something you can't explain happening to you and you attribute the symptoms to the actions of demons. Anyway, I'm glad that you're both feeling good and whatever you went through in the past is behind you. And thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,445,202 times
As stated by other persons on this thread, the Bible clearly states that Jesus cast out demons. There is a natural and supernatural world. The Bible states in Ephesians 6:12 that we wrestle against principalities, powers, rulers of darkness and spiritual wickedness. The Bible warns against opening your mind to these things which could give a demon an opportunity to possess. Also, it could be possible that someone who already had some mental illness might be more vulnerable to a demon possessing them. IMO, Jeffrey Dahmer had a demon. IMO, people like Sylvia Browne's so-called "spiritual guide" is a demon, but as the Bible states, a demon can take on the form of goodness in order to deceive someone. I just say stay away from opening your mind to anything like this.

Old 09-06-2008, 08:27 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,657,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Great story Nikk, I have one of my own which took place back in 1973.
Based on some of the comments I have read here, I can see that a number of people here don't have a clue. These people are so lost, and have such a lack of knowledge of the Bible, that most of what you will say, goes right over their heads. And then when you hear how some will relate all of this to the mind, it becomes laughable. It's like they can't add 2+2. There is a great deal of information out there, yet they can't put it together. Because if they ever did, the only answer that would make sense, would be in direct opposition to their belief system. There's a lot of people out there who have not done their homework, and they are presently in denial.
That statement speaks volumes.You have based your conclusion on but one old book. So much has been discovered about the brain and mental disorders. How you can take none of those medical break throughs into account amazes me. I wish you good mental health.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:52 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,975,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Nikk and Campbell34, I know you've both described situations in your lives in which you feel you were possessed and please don't take my thread or my point of view as any sort of insult or disrespect to you, that is not my intention. I can truly understand how someone who was describing a demonic possession in the Bible could have been witnessing a seizure or any number of medical conditions. For those who believe that Christ cast out the demons it would make alot more sense to believe that he cured their medical or psychological illness. I'm suggesting that if you take this business about demons and possession too seriously it may negatively impact your own life when you're faced with something you can't explain happening to you and you attribute the symptoms to the actions of demons. Anyway, I'm glad that you're both feeling good and whatever you went through in the past is behind you. And thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Thanks for the support MontanaGuy, the fact is, I do have one kid that has had problems in the past with seizures. Yet I never believed this had anything to do with demonic possession. In this case medical science was the cure. Yet this is not always the case. When you have an encounter with the demonic, it is something that goes beyond the norm. My encounter happened way back in 1973, and lasted for six months. And once they started speaking to me and manifesting themselves in so many ways. You soon understand that this is somthing beyond the mental and physical world. When all of this happened to me I felt powerless to confront them. Yet I met with other Christian who understood what was happening, and I was astounded at the power they had over them when they spoke the name of Jesus Christ. I myself alone could not of overcome them, yet when we Christians came together, these beings had to leave. It is an experience I will never forget. And it may be one of the reasons I appear so over the top here.

I recall shortly before my father passed away, he was taken over by one or more of them. He was a very Godly man, yet after he had surgery he became very violent. I recall walking into the hospital room where they had may father strapped down in his bed. I started to read the Bible to him, and he began to say things like, "you don't believe that crap do you". And I said, well my father did. Then He looked at the girl who was there on a 24 hour watch and said, "tell that tramp to get out of here". Now I knew I was not talking with my father anymore, so I continued to read the Psalms to him. And he continued to insult the wording of the Scripture. I finally said to him. "You know, my father really loved to hear the Psalms, but then again, your not my father are you?" As soon as I said that, his whole face changed, and a look of shock came over him. Then a demon in a low voice spoke out of him and said, "you tried to help him but you failed". I then laid my hands on his head and ask God to remove that evil from him. I walked out of the room and returned the next day. It was the first time in two weeks that my dad nolonger had to be strapped down. The nurse told me that after I had left, my father had the best sleep he had since he had entered the hosiptal. From that time on, my father was nolonger violent. And you could see the change that came over him. There are times when medical science can not resolve the issue at hand, and someimes it takes Gods intervention.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:32 PM

I’m sure your perceptions are sincere and I have no reason to doubt the validity of your personal experiences.

This is one of those topics that can have real life consequences on innocent people.

Your personal stories give me no reason to believe in demonic possession and it would unfortunate, to say the least, if someone was denied medical attention in favor of an exorcism.

Such as al disturbed child whose parents might be convinced he or she is possessed.

Although I admit that would probably be a rare occurrence now days, I still find it frightening.

I do not imply that you would do such a thing, but that this kind of reasoning could lead it.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,241,569 times
I have no doubt that people can become obsessed with a certain concept or idea and ideas are as ethereal as spirits or demons, yet they can directly influence man's behaviour.
BTW I see no difference between a meme and an idea (or a spirit/demon).
So whether an individual believes in a meme or not is irrelevant.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:08 PM

Tricky

Interesting post
I’m not sure if it directed at me or the other posters,
I’m still a newbie at internet discussions.

(By the way, hello everyone): Waves

In any case I would like to reply

Of course I would not argue that the idea or meme does not exist as an idea. But I would argue the probability of its truth value.

If someone believes they are possessed I can see why they believe they could be healed. I don’t believe it would help say someone who is mentally ill.

And I would also consider it a form of abuse, though not a malicious one.
I do think it would matter whether it was just an idea.

I also don’t think most people who believe in demons would consider them to inhabit the same reality as memes, but I can certainly follow your logic on it.

At least I think I can it has been a while since I read up on memes and feel free to educate me if I am mistaken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality