Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 AM

519 posts, read 1,697,186 times

Advertisements

Question here --

Religion and Philosophy is such a hot topic, and I am wondering if any of these threads, debates, heated posts, not-so-heated posts, etc., have ever caused you to change your mind about X?

What's your story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,436,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
Question here --

Religion and Philosophy is such a hot topic, and I am wondering if any of these threads, debates, heated posts, not-so-heated posts, etc., have ever caused you to change your mind about X?

What's your story?
My core beliefs about God haven't changed, but they have been enriched and I've learnt a lot from other religions, it also have a better understandment of them now, and I've confirmed what I already knew, all religions have the same goal, and the same basis of moral conduct.

I've made great friends too

Last edited by Travelling fella; 07-24-2008 at 01:34 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
I've learned a lot. Being challenged to prove something can be... challenging. I am stubborn, but I have changed views on many things per these discussions. Certain core beliefs about God have not changed, but everything else is negotiable

blessings,
- Byron

Old 07-24-2008, 03:00 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Not really.
I am not that easily impressed.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:22 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
It certainly made me a lot less tolerant of Christianity , seeing the sanctimonious self-righteousness of some posters. I have been shocked by some of the inhumanity and complete lack of compassion exhibited by many.

And I was amazed at creationists. Wow ! What a revelation for someone like myself who has travelled the world, met animists in the Jungle and spoken to people from just about any faith.

Having never realised that anyone could possibly hold those views in a Western society made me realise that some "Christians" can be just as much "out there" as members of the Taliban and I find it impossible, as much as I have tried to have respect for people who are led by their emotions rather than their brains. Sorry if this offends people, but there I said it.

Believing in Santa , Fairies , Trolls, or The Easter really does not seem that bizarre any more...

Old 07-24-2008, 05:38 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
I've learned few things about Christian religion, but none of what i read/hear/learn will change my mind

Old 07-24-2008, 05:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
I can acknowledge if someone has a valid point. For example, as one who believes in a Creator, (though I don't pretend to know the details, or the timing), I have been impressed with some of the arguments presented by non-believers, based on science. However, their arguments have not changed my mind about a belief in a Creator, because I see no reason why science and faith have to be necessarily seperate. There is a quote attributed to Einstein that says, "Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind". Now, before anyone challenges me on that quote, I don't know if he really said it, but I do tend to believe it's true, regardless of the religion/faith/spirituality in question. As far as changing my mind, I'd say, (as a former Southern Baptist), I changed my mind drastically when I renounced my belief in hell, a few years and so far no one on this forum, who still holds to that belief, has been able to persuade me to pick that awful belief back up. So, I guess I'd have to say, "no", I've never changed my opinons, at least not based on anything said on CD.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 07-24-2008 at 05:55 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 05:46 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
The philosopher Schopenhauer advised against engaging in argument, maintaining that no one was ever convinced of anything by it other than their own opinions, however wrongheaded. See Arthur Schopenhauer, APHORISMEN ZUR LEBENSWEISHEIT ("Counsels and Maxims"), Ch. III, Sec. 26 (1886). And, considering my arguments with the people on these discussion forums, I am convinced that Schopenhauer was right.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:30 AM

249 posts, read 532,102 times
Default Te best evidence for truth may sometimes be to live it in silence like the flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It certainly made me a lot less tolerant of Christianity , seeing the sanctimonious self-righteousness of some posters. I have been shocked by some of the inhumanity and complete lack of compassion exhibited by many.

And I was amazed at creationists. Wow ! What a revelation for someone like myself who has travelled the world, met animists in the Jungle and spoken to people from just about any faith.

Having never realised that anyone could possibly hold those views in a Western society made me realise that some "Christians" can be just as much "out there" as members of the Taliban and I find it impossible, as much as I have tried to have respect for people who are led by their emotions rather than their brains. Sorry if this offends people, but there I said it.

Believing in Santa , Fairies , Trolls, or The Easter really does not seem that bizarre any more...
I agree.. christianity is in shambles.. and its teachings are mostly misleading people rather than guiding them wisely.

The only connection it seems to have with the bible.. is that the bible is clearly against what it practises.

In the words of Allan Watts.. (who quit his training to be a priest to study Zen Buddhism)

-

"Prostitution is the oldest occupation.. and religion is the oldest con-trick."

-

Which is true.

Has my opinion changed.. well.. if anything.. I become more and more disillusioned each day.. and wonder.. what's the point of saying anything..

Maybe just saying nothing is better.

----

Ain't Saying Nothing

"The deeper and less ordinary our thoughts and experience, the less possible or expedient it may seem to communicate them in words. We may derive satisfaction from thinking we have impressed or pleased someone else with symbols of our experience, but we cannot communicate (or even observe) experience without turning our attention from experiencing to observing or communicating. By the time we communicate it we are describing something that has already slid into the past and become liable to the normal faults of memory and inadequacy of description, quite apart from intentional censoring or deception.

Experience itself (as distinct from description) can only be shared if at some level our experiencing self is one with the person receiving our words, and this materialism and orthodox belief usually refuse to accept.

The more unique our experience, the more impossible is its communication, since we should have to use unique terms, probably incomprehensible and unsharable. For this reason we may say nothing for fear of ridicule or enmity. The reward of the missionary is often martyrdom; the best evidence for truth may sometimes be to live it in silence like the flowers."

Author Unknown

-

Last edited by accelerator; 07-24-2008 at 06:40 AM..

Old 07-24-2008, 07:55 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Mmm, no, not really. I have learned a bit more about the Dharmic religions and Native American spirituality, which pleases and enlightens me, but as far as changing my own beliefs...no.

Sadly, I have also learned how angry and defensive a few people can be over their beliefs, which implies that they are feeling threatened in their belief system somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality