Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:43 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,954 times

Advertisements

My views can and have changed, i just love being able to accept that my beliefs can be wrong. No feeling guilty for doubting my views, no retribution and no one but myself to analyze what I see and find what makes the most sense to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM

249 posts, read 532,228 times
Default Opposition Is - True - Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
No, if anything, it makes my faith stronger. I only read posts that are geared in a positive way towards my beliefs. I don't read the atheists threads, etc....
Do you ever stop to consider your beliefs might be wrong..?

I know I do..

Isn't to.. sometimes.. doubt what you believe.. a sign of a healthy intelligence.. ?

Isn't it perfectly natural.. ?

On the other hand.. isn't blind faith a rather un-natural way of seeing things.. that lacks self-discipline.. ?

The atheists are here to help.. they are our friends.

And.. if what we believe.. is - REALLY - true.. then it can't be over-turned.

If others can find fault with what we believe..

And we can't defend it..

Then we haven't thought it through.

So.. back to the drawing board.. and think again.

Those who seek truth.. welcome opposition......... because..

---

"Opposition is true friendship."

William Blake

-

Isn't that true.. ?

:-)

-

Last edited by accelerator; 07-25-2008 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-25-2008, 10:34 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,200,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
You know, it is interesting to read your responses ... because on these threads it seems many many many posters are trying to change minds. And from seeing heated posts, I just have to wonder, "what is the point?" If posters don't really think they can change anyone's mind, then what are there so many posters? Oftentimes, I have replied, or wanted to reply, to heated threads (I mean, come on, how can a "Pre-Tribulation vs. Post-Tribulation" thread end well?) ... but, ultimately, what is the purpose?

Do you post to get in your opinion without really expecting anyone to change his/her minds? Or do you really want to change someone's mind?

Thanks to those who have already replied!
I've no doubt some are in this to change minds. Anyone to whom the Great Commission is significant is likely to have at least some interest in doing so.
I, otoh, have no spiritual dog in someone else's internal religious battle, so I'm pretty much in it as a means of avoiding useful action, like doing laundry or giving the cat a bath. As such, it serves.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:39 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,200,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
I

Most opinions on this board are just regurgitations of stuff they've heard or read without doing any serious research of their own. Read what the early Church believed and it will rock your world.
How can you possibly know that to be true about people of whom you've no personal knowledge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Read what the early Church believed and it will rock your world.
Sadly for your hypothesis, Juj, I have. The result was about as world-rocking as when Jimmy Hall suggested the same thing back in high school. Nice, probably, for somebody, but for me...a definite "was that it?" moment.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:38 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,346,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerator View Post
Do you ever stop to consider your beliefs might be wrong..?

I know I do..

Isn't to.. sometimes.. doubt what you believe.. a sign of a healthy intelligence.. ?

Isn't it perfectly natural.. ?

On the other hand.. isn't blind faith a rather un-natural way of seeing things.. that lacks self-discipline.. ?

The atheists are here to help.. they are our friends.

And.. if what we believe.. is - REALLY - true.. then it can't be over-turned.

If others can find fault with what we believe..

And we can't defend it..

Then we haven't thought it through.

So.. back to the drawing board.. and think again.

Those who seek truth.. welcome opposition......... because..

---

"Opposition is true friendship."

William Blake

-

Isn't that true.. ?

:-)

-

Very well said.

I agree

Old 07-25-2008, 12:04 PM

249 posts, read 532,228 times
Default We place no reliance on virgin or pigeon; our method is science, our goal is religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I agree
(sigh) Now.. that's not being very friendly..;-(

-

“We place no reliance on virgin or pigeon; our method is science, our goal is religion.”

Astra Margenitum

-

But I forgiv ya.. ;-)

-

Old 07-25-2008, 02:16 PM

22,267 posts, read 19,259,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
Question here --

Religion and Philosophy is such a hot topic, and I am wondering if any of these threads, debates, heated posts, not-so-heated posts, etc., have ever caused you to change your mind about X?
Where I find these threads very useful is through people's responses or dialogue, bringing to light my own blind spots. My goal is never to convince anyone of anything, simply share my own experiences, and further explore topics that fascinate and engage me.

Also the posts are very useful in increasing my understanding of others. When others share with me their experiences then that builds understanding.

I don't have to convince anyone of anything, but it is helpful through dialogue and posts to "hear myself think" and through expressing myself I expanD my own self-development, that is the true goal.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,964 times
^agreed. that is the beauty of communication. hopefully, we can all be edified by our exchanges. of course, that can only happen if we are looking to be edified. if you go into a conversation with preconceived notions of someone's inferiority simply because they differ in their religious beliefs, or because they have none, then obviously you are not going to get anything out of it. if that is the case, you might as well bow out and save the rest of us the trouble of sorting through ignorant hatred and your supposed superiority.

if you are trying to be enlightened by others, and in turn share your own gems of wisdom, try doing it with a respectful, open mind, leaving your biases at the door, and looking at your fellow brothers and sisters (or at least, looking at their user names and their posts) with compassion and patience.

then, you might get something positive out of the conversations, even if you are an atheist writing to christians, christians writing to wiccans, wiccans writing to buddhists, etc.

aaron out.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:16 PM

4,500 posts, read 2,845,101 times
We should doubt about our beliefs . It is normal and healthy .
It is the scientific method to find the truth .( many faces in one fact)
To think and to doult just a tools to deal with life.
Many questions need to find an answer.
All the philosophers have spent their life in doubt.
We are just beginners

Old 07-25-2008, 04:21 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Where I find these threads very useful is through people's responses or dialogue, bringing to light my own blind spots. My goal is never to convince anyone of anything, simply share my own experiences, and further explore topics that fascinate and engage me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
^agreed. that is the beauty of communication. hopefully, we can all be edified by our exchanges. of course, that can only happen if we are looking to be edified.

I'm glad both of you have such a positive view. I think these threads can be helpful as well, and I have seen members give excellent advice. Sometimes I wonder about the heated posts ... why do people really engage? (I know the answer; I'm just thinking out loud. ) And I also think some of those divisive posts ("why aren't you X?" Or "prove to me that X is wrong!") aren't beneficial to anyone .. especially the people trying to PROVE something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality