Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 10:58 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times

Advertisements

be careful about assuming that you already know the answer. i think that it is different for everyone, though there are most definitely major similarities. some people do it out of blind zeal. others out of actual hate. others out of fear.

i think that i have matured enough to stop posting with the sole intent of convincing someone that they are wrong, though i would bet that you could find a couple if you look back in my history. no one's perfect.

i realized a while ago that i need to worry about myself more than anyone else, as far as moral problems go, and i also understood that i cannot force people to believe as i do. i cannot humiliate others, disrespect their beliefs (however wrong i think that they are), and expect them to see that i do it out of compassion or interest in their wellbeing. doesn't work that way ever.

now-a-days, my goal, when i enter a controversial or heated debate, is either to make sure that the issue is fairly analyzed instead of the ignorant contempt that is too often thrown around. if it is not an issue of balance, i am generally posting in order to at least get the truth (or what i see as such) out there for those that would actually like to hear it. once i've stated my case, generally i am content to let it lie.

i need to do better at it, but i think that it is a part of growing up.

aaron out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 01:28 AM

519 posts, read 1,697,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
be careful about assuming that you already know the answer. i think that it is different for everyone, though there are most definitely major similarities. some people do it out of blind zeal. others out of actual hate. others out of fear.
Ahhh ... yes. I was just thinking that people like "torturing themselves." But, yes, people post for different reasons!

Old 07-26-2008, 01:50 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
Question here --

Religion and Philosophy is such a hot topic, and I am wondering if any of these threads, debates, heated posts, not-so-heated posts, etc., have ever caused you to change your mind about X?

What's your story?
I have lurked in many R&P forums over the years. I used to think of myself as an agnostic, I am leaning more atheist each day.

Some things that the religious folk come up with do make me think, but most of it doesn't do much for me.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:12 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
I'm glad both of you have such a positive view. I think these threads can be helpful as well, and I have seen members give excellent advice. Sometimes I wonder about the heated posts ... why do people really engage? (I know the answer; I'm just thinking out loud. ) And I also think some of those divisive posts ("why aren't you X?" Or "prove to me that X is wrong!") aren't beneficial to anyone .. especially the people trying to PROVE something.
precisely. well-said

Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
And I also think some of those divisive posts ("why aren't you X?" Or "prove to me that X is wrong!") aren't beneficial to anyone .. especially the people trying to PROVE something.
i agree with you. That is less about trying to gain understanding or increase knowledge; and more about just plain old verbal aggression, bullying, and verbal battering.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:25 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,999 times
Personally I never try to push my beliefs off on anyone else. I am here to learn more than teach. I love reading about different beliefs and non-beliefs, seeing other peoples points of view. I think it is healthy to question and find your own answers.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:44 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC(Guest Residence)-Sarasota,Fl. (Home address)
9 posts, read 16,085 times
Given my discourse in various blogs & letters to editors of several news papers I have changed my mind in regard to an opinion that I held years ago. Namely that
bible literalist were stupid. Not necessarily so!

Concerning incidents related in the bible that appear to be impossible in a naturalistic world and yet are accepted by many believers as their god's words of
absolute truth, I now understand that such an individual can be very intelligent and
yet via cognitive dissonance can still believe the seemingly absurd absolutely.

For example, a scientist who does research each day according to the precepts of
"the scientific method" and yet seems able to disregard those precepts to accept
the entire bible literally.

I am not writing here about accepting some religious appologists interpretation of
what is said but rather that what is said actually took place.

For example, after the story of crucification & resurrection of Christ , the tombs of the dead (Prophets were they?) opened up & the many resurrected dead tomb occupants went into Jeruselem.

Now this was not an event limited to the 5000 on the hillside listening to Christ. This could have been visible to the cities entire population. Not only Jews, but Jewish Christians and travelers & merchants from other middle eastern countries of that time.

Surely, of the many observers of this described bizarre event, a number would have been able to write and would have subsequently, in the city or their home country
written about the what subsequently ,in thebible , is described as risen dead or they at least would have commented to others: 'Heh, you will never believe what I saw that happened in Jeruselem after they crucified that Christ guy.'

However, apparently there is absolutely no other mention of that tomb event, which has ever been found to provide our scientist example above, with the data that he/she normally insists on having in his/her daily research activities.

So, our example scientist is very likely not a stupid bible believer, but likely an individual capable of really compartmentalizing aspects of their lives experiences and perhaps never the twain are allowed to meet.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:21 PM

244 posts, read 393,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte,NC Humanist View Post
So, our example scientist is very likely not a stupid bible believer, but likely an individual capable of really compartmentalizing aspects of their lives experiences and perhaps never the twain are allowed to meet.
Yep. The human capacity for compartmentalization just continually astonishes me.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:41 PM

23,017 posts, read 34,387,993 times
My beliefs about God and the Bible have not changed, and I don't post to change anyone's mind. But what has changed is the way I think about non believers and Atheist. Till City Data I had never had any contact with an Atheist. Though posting I feel like I have learned to be a little more understanding and not so forceful with my beliefs.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
My beliefs about God and the Bible have not changed, and I don't post to change anyone's mind. But what has changed is the way I think about non believers and Atheist. Till City Data I had never had any contact with an Atheist. Though posting I feel like I have learned to be a little more understanding and not so forceful with my beliefs.
Very true ILNC, you seem stern yet accepting when dealing with other poster's personal beliefs. Enjoyed sharing words with you. On the subject of the OP, I think that relatively few people are actually changed by these threads, but it does open up new ways of thinking for people of similar faiths. It also serves to make you more accepting of other people's beliefs when you get to here about them from an actual person instead of the news or some other non personal publication. I enjoy the religion/philosophy forums because their is always a plethora of different beliefs mixing together trying to find a relative harmony. One that in the end can be achieved by embracing the central theme of most all religions. Love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality