Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:57 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,472,103 times

Advertisements

Am I for real? Yes and no. There are a lot of issues that I feel strongly about in my real life that rarely come up like they do on here so some of the emotion that gets witnessed on here is often not brought out in the real world.

As well, there are other things that go on in one's life that are best not told over a public internet forum. I'm afraid that most of what we see of people on here is the slice of pie that encompasses a particular point of an individual's personality that also happens to typically be something they feel strongly about. Rarely, if ever, do I think we ever get the full picture of a person but it makes it very easy to pass judgment on them after we have gotten to see this one particularly vulnerable side of their personality over the internet for all to see.

We often do not see the father's and mother's of children but someone who is preaching the Bible. We often do not see a depressed individual self-destructing but rather someone who may always sound critical of that Bible. We do not see laughter and humanism but there's a lot of talk about Jesus. We do not see sadness and despair but there's also a lot of talk about Jesus. We only see a small sliver, a small slice of the pie, of all the people on this forum.

Religion and belief does not make the human being but elements of the human being certainly seem to make up his/her religion and belief. Those elements are often what is recognized on here as the personality of the individual. While some show all their sides on here, some only show a little snippet.

To answer the OP, I am very real as concerned with this one element of my life but there is far more to the individual personality of me, GCSTroop, than what is seen on this forum. There is, I suspect, far more to every individual on this forum than what is seen on this forum. This is one element of the human - for lack of a better word - soul that all of us get to see. For some it's very spiritual and for others like myself it is devoid of "spiritual" in the classical sense. So, ultimately, what you see from me is not all of me, blue nor do I suspect it is all of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 07:20 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,181,565 times
As really as they come. Sometimes my posts can offend, i don't even realize when i post something that might be rude. I have to re-read what i wrote 10 times before i actually hit "send" button.
I can be very sarcastic and have weird sense of humor. But you'll love me when you get to know me!

Old 07-13-2008, 07:22 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,363,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
This is just a personal question I have really been thinking about a lot of our personalities in the rw as compared to the posts we make here..Some of us have been here forever and know each other pretty well, or do we? My question is..does your real personality have any resemblance to what you post here or on the other forums on cd?
Blue, I think I am the same if maybe a little less vocal in the real world, and in retrospect you are one of the few religious people I think I would like to sit and debate face to face.
I enjoy every post you put out there, and think you are adding a great deal to the knowledge base we all need when we try to find the middle ground necessary for us to survive.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,641,992 times
June wrote:
Quote:
Ask Montana. He'd know.
Yes, I do know, about June anyway since we've met and I do think she's very much like the person we know on City Data. I think I'm probably much different from what you would expect (June can also attest to that). I can communicate much better in writing than I can in person. I feel completely comfortable discussing anything when I can sit down and type out my responses and think about what I want to say. Although I probably seem pretty open and friendly online I'm actually very much of a loner although I am a friendly and easy going person. I'm much more skillful at presenting myself to the world in the anonymous environment of the internet than I am in a face to face meeting. That's just the way I am.

Last edited by MontanaGuy; 07-13-2008 at 07:58 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 07:55 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,500,433 times
I’m at an age when I think a lot about things; and I find it helpful to write down my thoughts to get them clear.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:06 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,541,077 times
Thanks for the response so far..I have another personal question to throw in here later..Actually, I forget what that question was so will have to do some serious thinking (getting old and forgetful is the pits)

Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,273,312 times
Yes, in the context of the subject matter. This subject doesn't come up all that often in day to day interactions with real people. When the direct subject comes up, I am the same but most of the time, I'll just finesse a religious comment out the door because it isn't an appropriate comment in face to face interactions.

Here, it is the discussion and I liken it to a seminar discussion group, not a social situation.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:58 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,069,402 times
I am relatively new to the forums. I think my personality is basically the same. With the exception of; I can speak more boldly on forums without the fear of offending people.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:21 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,541,077 times
Welcome to the forum Sandgirl..There are several posters here from Arkansas..I like your recipes..If all your posts represent your personality then I am very impressed

Old 07-13-2008, 09:31 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,069,402 times
^Thank you, blue62. That's kind of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality