Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 03:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times

Advertisements

I love agnosticism: Don't know, don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 03:59 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,389,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I love agnosticism: Don't know, don't care.
I love agnosticism too - but I see it more as:
I Don't Know And Neither Do You.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,770 times
I think what I typically see from Agnostics is a bit confusing to me in the general sense. It seems like the better term would be to call them "Deists" such as what Thomas Jefferson was. And there is a big difference between Theists and Deists.

Allow me to explain:

As a Deist you don't really think there is a God that watches over you, cares for you, minds what you say, requires worship, etc... etc... However, you also have a hard time conceiving that there is no such thing as a "necessary being" - a force that is not contingent and must have at the very least started all of "this".

I think that to me I view Agnosticism mostly in this way. For, if you were to lean in the other direction of Atheism I imagine most people would say so.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:57 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,021,748 times
the good thing about forms of agnosticism, including agnostic atheism, is that you can say you don't know with a hundred percent certainty, while other gnostics pretend to know what the one true way is.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,316,173 times
If it weren't for these forums, I wouldn't think about a god thing at all. It just doesn't fit in my world view.

b.frank, I like a combination of the two!

Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,979,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrsquest View Post
My problem with the bible is if God the loving caring father he supposedly is decided to make us imperfect after Adam and eve ate the apple, he knew exactly what he was doing because he is all knowing right? Okay so he created us perfect and then changes his mind because of an apple aka Satan. So he knew we would now sin so he sends down is son to pay for these sins.

We all die, but Jesus death is special and meaningful, yet he didn’t really die which of calls into question the sacrifice he made. He wasn’t really going to die. So now we have to believe that he died for our sins in order to be spared from hell for the rest of eternity. But if we do believe we get to float around on a cloud for eternity. And the point of this whole exercise is what? I cannot bring my self to believe something that does not make sense to me, it is just the way I am. I could pretend to believe but I would be lying to myself. Would that fool God into letting me into heaven?

This brings me to the conclusion that God knew I would be agnostic before he created me , yet he continued to make sure my sperm hit the egg knowing he was setting me up to spend eternity in hell. Is this the imperfection of mankind our mistake or his?

Maybe there is some kind of Supreme Power, I don't think we will ever truly know, but if there is, it seems to me they would have a more logical reason for the creation of the Universe.
Jesus really did die, and He was rasied from the dead. And God does not want you to pretend to be a Christian, and that is why He tells us to seek Him. If you really search for Him. Jesus tells us we will find Him. The problem is, most just look for excuses not to believe rather than take a pro active approach. God wants more than anything to reveal Himself to you. Yet, you must first show God that your intrested in Him. As I look back in my past I have to tell you it is really funny how God has revealed Himself to me. Sometimes you can't believe it is happening, Yet God often becomes so obvious to those who are seeking Him, that it finally dawns on you that He is real. He's like this friend that you never knew about, and all of a sudden He's there trying to help you.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:58 AM

810 posts, read 1,439,012 times
Any he created the rest of the universe and decided not to mention it in the bible for what reason? Oh I forgot they didnt know about it when that was written, good thing he cleared it up ahead of time.

And there off spring would mean we are all incest. After Adam and Eve had children, how did they proceed onto the third generation? The children must have slept with each other, or their own parents. How do you explain this to an inquisitive child without condoning incest? Incest was the order of the day, and would have been required for two or three generations. The same applies to the story of Noah's Ark. The children of Noah's family and his wife's family must have slept with members of their parent's family, or each other. Any further generations would again be faced with the same choice. Interbreeding two families causes severe retardation, mutation and infertility. This happens to isolated Human population even when there are more then two families.

Not sure if my post will come up correctly, trying to quote...

You're right that the Bible doesn't address every shread of information. I'd be speculating, which I hesitate to do, BUT... perhaps in a perfect state of mind such as Adam and Eve had, maybe that information would have been made available. After all, at this point in time, we only use a fraction of our brain capacity. It is difficult for our brains to comprehend the universe, or even a creator.

As for the matter of inbreeding and incest in the Bible. As a mother, I approach it with the "on a need to know basis" just like I do with any other question they may have on the topic of human reproduction. I feel that I would be doing my children a diservice to throw out the Bible and teaching them about God based on that. Trying to explain the immorality that they see on a daily basis is hard.

I have more to say, but not enough time to type it...I'll check back in later.

Bee

Old 06-10-2008, 08:41 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,389,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
b.frank, I like a combination of the two!
How about this one:

Agnosticism = You Don't Know, Neither Do I, Nor Do I Care.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM

56 posts, read 103,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Jesus really did die, and He was rasied from the dead. And God does not want you to pretend to be a Christian, and that is why He tells us to seek Him. If you really search for Him. Jesus tells us we will find Him. The problem is, most just look for excuses not to believe rather than take a pro active approach. God wants more than anything to reveal Himself to you. Yet, you must first show God that your intrested in Him. As I look back in my past I have to tell you it is really funny how God has revealed Himself to me. Sometimes you can't believe it is happening, Yet God often becomes so obvious to those who are seeking Him, that it finally dawns on you that He is real. He's like this friend that you never knew about, and all of a sudden He's there trying to help you.

I find this to be the normal Christian answer, 1. I have gone to church and bible study from the age of 8-18 on my own free will, my parents didn’t make me go or force feed me religion. I was saved, prayed, read the entire bible ect and did not feel anything special or warm and fuzzy like you proclaim that I would feel. Also tried again when I was in the Marines and nothing and won’t ever do anything again. I have studied science, religion and philosophy and made my conclusion based of physical data and hard evidence something many religious people shun because it throws there beliefs out the window or they have to severely alter it to fit

Old 06-10-2008, 02:09 PM

428 posts, read 1,632,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think what I typically see from Agnostics is a bit confusing to me in the general sense. It seems like the better term would be to call them "Deists" such as what Thomas Jefferson was. And there is a big difference between Theists and Deists.

Allow me to explain:

As a Deist you don't really think there is a God that watches over you, cares for you, minds what you say, requires worship, etc... etc... However, you also have a hard time conceiving that there is no such thing as a "necessary being" - a force that is not contingent and must have at the very least started all of "this".

I think that to me I view Agnosticism mostly in this way. For, if you were to lean in the other direction of Atheism I imagine most people would say so.
Troop,
I call myself agnostic although I am not a "believer" even in the sense of the deists. (I would be an atheist in terms of the Western religions.) I don't like to pigeonhole myself as something or other, because first it tends to provoke a knee-jerk reaction, and second, I don't know that I won't change my mind at some time about something. (Warning: Christians need not apply .)

I used to call myself atheist until I did some serious readings and Buddhist meditation. I am not "Buddhist" by any means, but I am not completely closed to the idea of a "Consciousness" that is the universe. After all, I have consciousness, my dog seems to have consciousness, the fly on the wall seems to have some teeny glimmer of consciousness. So if every being in the universe manifests a degree of that One Consciousness in proportion to the complexity of its nervous system, I can buy the idea. I have no clue as to the truth of it, but I am open to such possibilities. "Agnostic" seems a reasonable term that allows for an appreciation of mysteries yet uncomprehended by us humans with our particular degree of consciousness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality