Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:22 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
You ask us questions and argue or ignore our answers, whats the point in asking with this attitude?
I don't ignore them at all. I absorb and think on them before I reply and/or respond.

And I am not "asking" any questions at all. I enjoy a good exchange, but my faith and belief system is solid and whole and based on personal experience.

What I AM wondering is, WHY those who DON'T believe, cannot answer the SIMPLE question of what they DO believe in...?

Math? Logic? Works wonders on a chalkboard and a script for StarTrek...but NOT in human existence...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How about a simple answer Tex? I believe in what I can see, hear, smell, touch or taste, as do all atheists...Satisfied?
Sure, I am satisfied. So why does it seem that self-described "atheists" don't extend the same to Christians?

And again, what DO you believe in? Other than nothing. And I don't care past the point of that it seems to be the non-believers who make the biggest production about who should or shouldn't care!

Old 06-08-2008, 05:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,630,095 times
TexasReb wrote:
Quote:
Translation: I (you) don't believe in anything at all...but have the credentials to pick apart the belief system of those who do.
I noticed you didn't respond to the question I asked about how you would feel if this thread were entitled "Are you REALLY a Christian, etc." and I think it was a very good question that gets to the heart of the matter. I don't make posts to provoke people and I'm never seeking a confrontation, I'm just looking for some intelligent conversation so I'm asking you again. Also, it's not like atheists don't believe in anything, we just don't believe in God. I believe in all sorts of things that I know to be factual, I believe in the philosophy of humanism and basically I believe in facing reality even when reality may sometimes be unpleasant. This thread was obviously intended to take a jab at atheists and explain to us why we needed a little guidance. Would you appreciate it if we tried to convert you to atheism? I don't think so. That's why the responses from atheists to the OP were not particularly receptive to the question being asked.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:35 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,917 times
Default But Professor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TexasReb wrote:

I noticed you didn't respond to the question I asked about how you would feel if this thread were entitled "Are you REALLY a Christian, etc." and I think it was a very good question that gets to the heart of the matter. I don't make posts to provoke people and I'm never seeking a confrontation, I'm just looking for some intelligent conversation so I'm asking you again. Also, it's not like atheists don't believe in anything, we just don't believe in God. I believe in all sorts of things that I know to be factual, I believe in the philosophy of humanism and basically I believe in facing reality even when reality may sometimes be unpleasant. This thread was obviously intended to take a jab at atheists and explain to us why we needed a little guidance. Would you appreciate it if we tried to convert you to atheism? I don't think so. That's why the responses from atheists to the OP were not particularly receptive to the question being asked.
Did you go to my college, too? LOL! Comic relief courtesy of the "j-bug."

Old 06-08-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
TexasReb wrote:

*Whew*

MontanaGuy? The reason I haven't responded to your particular question/post is that I have only limited time to reply to ANYTHING! Kinda like...good gawd, man, one at a time! Hee Hee.

But seriously, I DO respect, and appreciate, VERY MUCH, that you seem to be an intelligent and reasonable person. I will even go so far as to say that, yes, I sorta did, confuse threads in the sense of applying articulate answers on the wrong ones! In other words, here I am trying to go from one to the other...and I should have posted A to B...and likely C. Or even D! LOL

So, yes, I do indeed think you are correct in that regard. And understand why the replies from atheists were not exactly cordial to the OP!

With all that said though? "Humanism" is a belief system too. And a system based on "humanism" is, in terms of bodies and persecution, worse than the Spanish Inquisition ever was....

Old 06-08-2008, 05:45 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,912 times
I think the OP attempted to guilt me into Christianity with his last response -- I hurt his feelings.

Listen, it's like this -- Christians have been banging Bibles at our heads since the day we a-theists started thinking differently. My own mother told me I was going to hell the day, at age 14, I elected not to attend her church and that I felt her beliefs were not mine. Do you know how many times Christians have banged at my door attempting to save people? Do Atheists do this to you? LoL I don't think.

I love people. I really do. If the OP and I met, we'd have a great dinner and yuck it up, go to a hockey game, eh... but the OP has to realize that we're not open to this kind of thing, just as Christians wouldn't appreciate me posting on why the Adam and Eve story is simply metaphorical, if there is any truth to it at all.

Why can't we all just believe different things and love each other still? lol OP, I love you. =)

Old 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,917 times
Montana,

If it gets to be too much, and you need a little giggle, look above...at my previous post that is-LOL! I know, in the words of my husband, "You think you are funny!"

Old 06-08-2008, 05:48 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,463,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

With all that said though, and please direct me to the thread to make it clear and sunshine! LOL -- "Humanism" is a belief system too. And a system based on "humanism" is, in terms of bodies and persecution, worse than the Spanish Inquisition ever was....

Woah! Wait a second! Explain to me when in history a society based on principles that Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein, and John Lennon shared philosophies with that hung people upside down and sawed them in half.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Woah! Wait a second! Explain to me when in history a society based on principles that Thomas Jefferson, Albert Einstein, and John Lennon shared philosophies with that hung people upside down and sawed them in half.
What in the heck are you talking about? THIS has to be about the silliest and most disjointed attempt to make a point I have ever read.

So...slow down, and tell me what you are trying to say. Thomas Jefferson and John Lennon sharing a political philosophy?

Old 06-08-2008, 06:08 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,941,422 times
Quote:
I don't ignore them at all. I absorb and think on them before I reply and/or respond.
..and put them down. When you asked me something and I responded that I assume the validity of logic, you kept fighting it. You even said right at the beginning that you weren't try to prove anything and yet you couldn't accept my opinion.

Quote:
And I am not "asking" any questions at all.

Quote:
I enjoy a good exchange, but my faith and belief system is solid and whole and based on personal experience.
So? All I can say is good for you.

Quote:
What I AM wondering is
This is a question

Quote:
WHY those who DON'T believe, cannot answer the SIMPLE question of what they DO believe in...?
Those who don't believe? You mean Atheists? You are not going to find any proper answer to this ever, the only thing that atheists have in common is the lack of belief in a god(s). Atheists can believe in magic and still be atheists. Atheists can be Buddhists or practice Confucianism or any other religion that doesn't specify a god(s). The only thing that atheists must have in common is a lack of belief in a god

Quote:
Math? Logic? Works wonders on a chalkboard and a script for StarTrek...but NOT in human existence...
Funny you say that if you are using a computer, ever driven a mode of transport, ever worked on a company, ever seen a building, love music or own an ipod.

The simple truth is that every body of knowledge in all sciences and technology uses mathematics(to which logic is a branch of). It doesn't matter how much you feel its irrelevant to your life because the world as we know it cannot exist without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality