Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:17 PM

7,999 posts, read 12,292,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post

I've always seen my prayer as trying to tune a radio into the right station.
Sometimes I can barely hear the music, sometimes just static, and sometimes a symphony.

YouTube - Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel - The Sounds of Silence Lyrics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:36 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,789,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
So if he hears our thoughts, or he wants to be told...I can just tell him I'm sorry directly. I don't need to confess to a Priest.
God wants you to deal with Him through his agents. I don't know why but He does. It might be that He actually isn't all knowing and has to delegate, as any good executive must.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:37 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,470,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
God wants you to deal with Him through his agents. I don't know why but He does. It might be that He actually isn't all knowing and has to delegate, as any good executive must.
I just have to ask and I'm sorry for taking this off topic, but you're not related to IrishMom are you????

Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,283,970 times
Obvious answer:

Because God exists only in our minds, praying is the only way to communicate with him/her/it.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:36 PM

5,518 posts, read 7,355,200 times

Yes,
and many times,
sweet sweet silence

Old 06-04-2008, 11:18 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,789,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I just have to ask and I'm sorry for taking this off topic, but you're not related to IrishMom are you????
No, though my mother is Irish too.

Which reminds me, did you know that the latest theory among biblical scholars and historians is that Jesus wan't a Jew but an Irishman?

As evidence they cite---

He didn't leave home until he was 30

He had 12 drinking buddies

And his mother thought he was God.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:25 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,078,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If there's a God who is aware of little detail in the universe including the needs and thoughts of every living human being, why would a prayer be necessary?
On the flip side why do I wish someone luck when they purchase a Powerball ticket?

Maybe the human emotion is one that everyone has a need to feel like someone is on their side...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,104 times
I dunno, but I personally pray through my action.
A long time ago I've learned to stop asking for personal 'miracles'; that if you want something done it is better to do it yourself instead of asking God to do it for you, or waiting for Him to do it for you.
So praying made me kinda passive and I hate being passive.
The only good thing that came out of praying is that it thought me to be patient.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times
Quote:
A post made by Old Gringo got me thinking about this question. If there's a God who is aware of little detail in the universe including the needs and thoughts of every living human being, why would a prayer be necessary? This also brings up another question. What exactly is a prayer and is it a special sort of communication from an individual directly to God that gets more notice than our everyday thoughts or behavior? I would also think that if God is really listening to every single prayer, and there must be millions of them at any given moment, that God would need to prioritize them. I would think that a family sitting down to lunch in Bakersfield who are praying to thank God for the bologna sandwiches and bean soup might get a little less notice than a parent praying for their child with a terminal illness. So what are your thoughts about prayers and why are they necessary?

Quote:
Prayer demonstrates our faith. It's how we see God working in the lives of others. It's how we "plug into" God power
Amen. Hi, I believe that prayer directs us to God and helps us to realize that He is God and in control of all things. We are able to realize the work of God in our lives. He sees all things from beginning to end but we don't and we need to learn to depend on Him in all things. It is a exercise of our faith in Him to seek Him, communicate with Him, and trust Him. He is our Father and He wants us to talk to Him. God bless.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:24 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,943,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
No, though my mother is Irish too.

Which reminds me, did you know that the latest theory among biblical scholars and historians is that Jesus wan't a Jew but an Irishman?

As evidence they cite---

He didn't leave home until he was 30

He had 12 drinking buddies

And his mother thought he was God.
That was hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality