Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:24 PM

553 posts, read 568,485 times

Advertisements

As a Christian I was taught that Lucifer was kicked out of heaven with one-third of the angels and they became what is now known as demons in Christian theology. We are told that these demons, along with Satan their leader, are running free deceiving the world. My question then is, in Jude 1:6 and II Peter 2:4 (see passages below) who are these angels that are supposedly locked away and chained until judgment day? Are there two groups of renegade angels, one set running wild and the others bound? I pretty much have my answer already and it IS biblically sound but I am not so sure many Christians reason this one out because it can lead to some real conflicting theology based on some faulty premises much like the idea of Jesus returning in the future.

Want to hear your thoughts.

Quote:
And the angels who did not keep their proper domain, but left their own abode, He has reserved in everlasting chains under darkness for the judgment of the great day;...

Quote:
For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment;...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:06 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,675,247 times
The point here is that sin will condemn even angels to an eternity in hell. Just as in John 3:18 we are told that those who do not believe are condemned already, future condemnation.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
The point here is that sin will condemn even angels to an eternity in hell. Just as in John 3:18 we are told that those who do not believe are condemned already, future condemnation.
Thanks but you have not answered the question.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:32 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
I pretty much have my answer already and it IS biblically sound .
Please share your opinion with us, and also why you believe Jesus will not return in the future (if that is what you meant).

Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 PM

13 posts, read 30,015 times
You should read this Book of Enoch it will answer lots of questions.

You may never have heard of this text before. The link above goes to the purest translation I am aware of. This is important because alot of so called new agers and occultists have perverted the purity of this text. The Book was originally taught to early Christians and is considered sound doctrine and holy by the Ethiopic church. It is given credibility by this quote from the Epistle of Jude:

Jude:1:14: And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jude:1:15: To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

If you would like to research this yourself fine. This is credible scripture though, and it explains alot about who we are and where we are headed. Also the origin of evil spirits, ufo's, various gods, and mankinds intellectual pursuits. But it explains exactly what our place is and what to expect in the future.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronnie36 View Post
You should read this Book of Enoch it will answer lots of questions.

You may never have heard of this text before. The link above goes to the purest translation I am aware of. This is important because alot of so called new agers and occultists have perverted the purity of this text. The Book was originally taught to early Christians and is considered sound doctrine and holy by the Ethiopic church. It is give credibility by this quote from the Epistle of Jude:

Jude:1:14: And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
Jude:1:15: To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

If you would like to research this yourself fine. This is credible scripture though, and it explains alot about who we are and where we are headed. Also the origin of evil spirits, ufo's, various gods, and mankinds intellectual pursuits. But it explains exactly what our place is and what to expect in the future.
Thank you very much, but I know all of this already. I really appreciate it though. This alone is material which Christians will again disagree over. I do feel it provides the correct interpretation of who these angels are, but what I am getting at is if Satan and his angles are supposedly free to roam the earth as per Christian reckoning, who then are these angels bound in chains?

Last edited by yydanay515; 05-28-2008 at 04:02 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Please share your opinion with us, and also why you believe Jesus will not return in the future (if that is what you meant).
The angels are NOT those who supposedly fell with Lucifer (a Christian interpretation) which poses all kinds of other embarrassing questions. The scripture is pretty clear about it.

As for your other question, there are threads all over the place on that topic, but suffice it to say, the Bible is CLEAR that he was supposed to have already come back a long time ago.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:06 PM

13 posts, read 30,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
Thank you very much, but I know all of this already. I really appreciate it though. This alone is material which Christians will again disagree over. I do feel it provides the correct interpretation of who these angels are, but what I am getting at is if Satan and his angles are supposedly free to roam the earth as per Christian reckoning, who then are these angels bound in chains?

I believe it's like a man in prison with outside connections.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 PM

738 posts, read 1,884,589 times
It seems that Jude 1:6 is referring to God confining the fallen angels who rebelled in an additional way----bound and chained until the end time angelic battle. Then they will be unleashed or unbound.

Revelation 12:7-9 describes an end-time angelic battle between Michael and "his angels" and the devil and "his angels."

Old 05-29-2008, 10:38 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,456 times
The angels that rebelled in heaven and were cast out by Micheal the archangel were cast into hell and bound with chains. This is a third of the angels that were created in heaven.

Man was given many things when he was created. Some of the gifts he received were physical some were spiritual.

When Satan as the snake in the garden tempted Adam and Eve with the fruit and caused them to sin, Adam and Eve handed over to satan some of their rights. One was the keys of hell and death. When Adam and Eve sinned, it is written that "in the day you shall eat you shall die." These keyes were handed over to Satan. Satan then having authority over death and hell could loose which angels he would choose. He has loosed only those that will still do his biding. Some angels in hell are still in chains and bound.

When Jesus died on the cross he went into hell and brought out those who were to enter paradise. He also took from Satan the Keys of Hell and of Death. Revelation 1:18: "I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death." After that Jesus rose from the dead.

At the end after Jesus returns, there will be a judgement for all and even the angels will be judged. 1 Cor. 6:3: "Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?"

Jesus' return did match events close to the time of the writting of revelation but not all. So, we still wait for his return. As we wait more and more line up with scripture. For example "Can a nation be born in a day" was fullfilled in 1948 when Isreal was given the right to be a nation. The star that fell on the third of the rivers and made them bitter was called Wormwood (or Chernobyl in Russian) and we all know the nuclear meltdown that occured there in 1986 and that many people died because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality