Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,662,675 times

Advertisements

I've got to tell you, I get a real chuckle out of that video....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
That was my intention. Wado, my friend.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:39 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
Happy Summer Solstice/Midsummer all!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:44 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
As did I... Thanks for sharing, Nighteyes!

Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Happy Summer Solstice/Midsummer all!
Ahhhh, yes the longest day of the year, daylight wise that is. It is the beginning of summer and already I have seen a number of young fawns with their mothers even had one come across my front yard right up to my front porch as I was sitting there, cute little thing but I think it startled him when he saw me because he turned and ran back to his mother and he was all legs and ears.....

Old 06-22-2011, 10:06 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,514,366 times
I live in a suburban community northwest of Los Angeles, right on the edge of thousands of acres of farmlands and orchards. I have been pleasantly surprised at how much wildlife I can see if I just stop for a moment and look. I have also been surprised at how quickly, and how well, certain species of wildlife have adapted for "city life" (so to speak).

There is at least one mated pair of Canada geese that decided to spend the summer in Southern California, around the large private lake adjacent to our local public golf course. Their offspring have grown rapidly and are now feeding beside their parents on the grass-covered dam. I counted four of them this past Friday. I don't think they can fly yet, but once they can I'm betting they'll be coming over the chain-link fence to feed on the fairways just like their parents did in the winter and early spring.

"Mother and Father Goose" were obviously well-aquainted with golf courses and golfers when they first arrived, because they allowed people to get really close and never showed the slightest bit of discomfort, anxiety, etc. Golf balls falling near them never even got a second glance.

Earlier this spring, and for the first time, cottontail rabbits appeared in great numbers along the fringes of the golf course. They don't seem to fear golfers either, because they often venture out onto the tees and fairways. There was one young cottontail that frequented the sixth tee. It seemed fascinated by our presence and behavior. Near-misses by poorly-hit golf balls seem to go unnoticed. Being out in the open like that, though, isn't always a good idea because Redtail and Red-Shouldered hawks are frequently in the sky overhead. I have also seen an occasional Prairie Falcon in the area.

The orioles arrived early in our back yard this year. At least two pairs of Hooded Orioles and another two pairs of Bullock's Orioles are feeding from our hummingbird feeders for the third (Bullock's) and fourth (Hooded) year. Their nests are located elsewhere, but they really seem to like our homemade hummingbird food. My "office" is currently at our kitchen table, so I watch them come and go.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,990,352 times
It may be that that is a big difference in my life compared to some others. Although I began my spiritual journey in my early early teens, a lot of it was formed in my early 20's as a result of psilocybin...........

Quote:
A study confirms that the chemical in magic mushrooms can unlock spiritual feelings:

Quote:
Notably, 61% of volunteers considered the psilocybin experience during either or both the [highest dosage] sessions to have been the single most spiritually significant of their lives, with 83% rating it in their top five. Consistent with this, 94% and 89% of volunteers, respectively, indicated that the experiences on those same sessions increased their well-being or life satisfaction and positively changed their behavior at least moderately.
Similar studies have come to identical conclusions although this one very helpfully analyzes ideal dosage levels. The potential for use to help the depressed, those with PTSD, and those with many other ailments is huge. If only we could get past our puritanism. Kevin Drum says "you may thank the War on Drugs whenever you like" for banning this experience:
LINK

Quote:
Scientists at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have zeroed in on the dose levels of the “sacred mushroom” chemical capable of yielding positive, life-changing experiences, while minimizing the chance of transient negative reactions in screened volunteers under supportive, carefully monitored conditions.

The findings, published online this week in the journal Psychopharmacology, come from the latest in a series of rigorous experiments done at Johns Hopkins designed to shed scientific light on psilocybin, a substance found in certain psychoactive mushrooms and used for centuries in various cultures for divinatory, healing, and religious purposes.Looking back over a year later, most of the experiment’s 18 volunteers (94 percent) rated a psilocybin session as among the top five most or as the topmost spiritually significant experience of his or her life. Under higher doses, up to a third experienced great fear or anxiety or had delusions, yet those reactions, the researchers report, were managed with gentle reassurance from the study monitors and did not outlast the session or harm the volunteers.
LINK

Old 06-25-2011, 08:15 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,250,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
just lot a good freind of mine this week,RiP,Hare Gary,thre man who innadvertidly introduced me to my sweet lord Krishna,thanks for everything Gaz,and enoy where the next life brings ya,the step on a journy that is eternal,these live a but merely a vessal for learning and understanding the true meaning of ,well,existance,what are we.....SOULs,a mysterious word something that still to this day we dont know?????live on Gary will missyou more than you could know,,,,sorry ptsum if this is too down for your sacred circle,although the funny thing is is hat i feel aloit better now for gettin in there,p.s. wheres the peacepipe ;o)
im actually a bit trollied here, inadvertadly,whats that word even ean man.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobeable View Post
just lot a good freind of mine this week,RiP,Hare Gary,thre man who innadvertidly introduced me to my sweet lord Krishna,thanks for everything Gaz,and enoy where the next life brings ya,the step on a journy that is eternal,these live a but merely a vessal for learning and understanding the true meaning of ,well,existance,what are we.....SOULs,a mysterious word something that still to this day we dont know?????live on Gary will missyou more than you could know,,,,sorry ptsum if this is too down for your sacred circle,although the funny thing is is hat i feel aloit better now for gettin in there,p.s. wheres the peacepipe ;o)
dobeable, do not concern yourself as to whether this is the right place or not to post your feelings on the loss of someone close this is why we're here to listen and to offer a place for just those kind of feelings. I am sorry for the lost of your friend and mentor but it is good that you remember him an honor him.osay

Old 06-26-2011, 10:09 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,518,681 times
dobeable,

So sorry for your loss, yet I feel the peace in you because you see death not as the end but as a new beginning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality