Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 03:23 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,117,544 times

Advertisements

Goodpasture, I think another important part of life is the attempt to lighten the pain of others by sharing the burden. I will bow my head for a moment of prayer for your partner's father.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,619,803 times
Greetings SC. It's been awhile.

Yesterday morning at 9:30 my wife's elderly mother passed away under my roof - peacefully in her sleep.

In another room (under the same roof) my 14 day old grandson slept peacefully as well (until he got hungry of course!)

I had a profound experience while giving my mother in law her last drink of water 4 days ago. As she drifted off into a deep sleep/coma (after not taking any food for a week) I asked if she was thirsty, to which she nodded yes. As I Placed the straw in her lips - she created suction and took several swallows. 2 hours later I asked again if she was thirsty, a barely perceptible nod - yes. But this time she could not manage to create enough suction. She tried and tried - but came up dry.

Her wishes were - no artificial life saving measures. If she could not eat 'normally' - then she would not eat. If she could not drink 'normally' then she would not drink. The next day - the only response was in her lips - no yes or no - just one last attempt to take in nourishment. Again, she failed to take in any water.

My mind jumped to the newborn in the next room. Oblivious to the world around him he has one goal: create suction with his lips and take in nourishment.

I saw that at the end of life the first instinct is also the last instinct to go. Oblivious to the world around her she instinctively tried to take in nourishment - but her time here was over.

I truly loved/love that woman - the mother of my wife.

Goodbye for now...

Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Goodpasture, I think another important part of life is the attempt to lighten the pain of others by sharing the burden.
Amen!!!

Old 10-21-2009, 06:02 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times
firstborn, I always find myself with mixed emotions when faced with the passing of a loved one. On one hand I feel so sorry for those that are going to miss the loved one. There are so many things you haven't shared with them, that you haven't learned from them, and their passing leaves a hole nothing can ever fill. On the other hand, I find joy in the fact that the person who is passing no longer has to deal with the irritations of life, the frailties of the body, the stress of social pressure, the infirmatives, the pain that we as mortals must contend with. I am also firmly convinced that souls travel together and that once a person has crossed over, they will be greeted by the loved ones they lost in their life, just as they will all gather when I join them.

So let me express my condolences and sympathy for your loss, while expressing joy for the one who no longer suffers................

Old 10-21-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
I will bow my head for a moment of prayer for your partner's father.
Her children's father........her ex husband........and thank you for your thoughts and prayer....he is a very good man. He appears to be improving, but only time will tell.........

Old 10-21-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
I am also firmly convinced that souls travel together and that once a person has crossed over, they will be greeted by the loved ones they lost in their life, just as they will all gather when I join them.
Thanks GP.

Last week she spent a full 24 hrs straight talking out loud to every person she's ever known who has passed on. I mean non-stop. Hard to know if she was just a bit delirious or what but she was engaged in conversations, we'd go and listen in from time to time.

She was absolutely excited to step across the threshold - no doubt.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:03 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Good morning friends. It has been a while since I joined you around the circle..I come today to offer condolences and prayers to Good Pasture and his partner for the loss of her x husband, who was also her friend..

Firstborn, my prayer is for comfort for you and your wife as you enter this period of mourning the loss of your beloved mil..I believe that in the last moments or maybe even days before we cross the threshold between this life and the next that God is with us and eases the transition..

I will sit in the circle for awhile and pray for you my friends and will also say a prayer for Ptsum and all his family who are grieving the loss of their grandson..

Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
........... will also say a prayer for Ptsum and all his family who are grieving the loss of their grandson..
I did not know about this.

It is good when a son burys a father....it is as it should be. But fathers and grandfathers who bury sons and grandsons deal with the greatest tragedy I can think of. My prayers will be for them this week.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:41 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,916 times
My thoughts and prayers go out to Goodpasture, and his partner, for losing her ex-husband and friend; to Firstborn, for the loss of a beloved mother-in-law; and to Ptsum, as he and his family grieve the loss of a much-loved grandson. May our Creator give you comfort, and wonderful memories of your loved ones.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Question:

How does this (sacred circle) differ from the pentagrams or what ever that wiccan's draw on the floor, or any other geometric design used by any other belief system?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality